• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What food brand?

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Hi! I did a search on this site but I am still not too sure what to feed my rabbits! They are both dutch rabbits and I have tried to feed them just plain pellets (the no variety type) mixed in with their other food, but they just left the pellets!! I was just switching them to Russell rabbit when I read on a post that it was rubbish so now I don't know what to do!
I limit the amount of pellets so as their diet is made up of lots of hay as well as fresh herbs, veggies and a few pieces of fruit, as well as some dry bread occassionally too! What do all you bunny experts out there reccommend I feed them? :?

Hello, I feed mine Super Rabbit Excel (the normal type - there is a low fat version too). They seem to like it. I used to feed them Rabbit Royale mix but it was too rich for them and also encouraged them to selective feed, whereas Excel is just pellets so they cannot selective feed. I'm sure there are other brands but I know this is a good one. Hope that helps :)

ps If you switch over, do it gradually over a week or so, so that they don't get upset tummies.

Darcy has super rabbit excel too and I've heard from others its very good for htem.

I have to say having had Bridget on the just hay and water diet she is thriving on it so might move Darcy over to it slowly as well!! xx

Which brand of pellets did you try? Some are yummier than others :D You might want to try a couple and see what your bun prefers. Most manufacturers will send you a sample if you ask.

Tam

I used to use Excel, now I use Bunny Basics T, they have a much higher fibre content although about 3 times as expensive :( and harder to get hold of.

I use Allen and Page Natural Rabbit Pellets - you can get it for £6 for 20kg :eek: Great if you have alot who are quite large like me :) Although I used to feed Russel Rabbit the fussy ones still make me buy that as they won't eat the new A & P pellets :roll:

yeah I am going to get rid of my bunny's mix, give him a few Science Selective pellets per day but his main diet is going to be hay as I can not stick the smell of those grape poos (when he doesnt eat them) - yak!

Tamsin said:
One of my buns would turn their nose up at excel. I think in general people have had more luck with Supreme Science, when I first tried it my buns prefered it to the russel rabbit mix :D

They'll send you a trial packet if you look on rthe website: http://www.fswebpages.co.uk/pv.exe?p=suk118

Hi Tamsin, how do you get the free pack, do you have to e-mail that address russel@suppet.co.uk?? Just I was thinking of changing Ralf to this stuff, as he keeps getting squishy droppings, even though he doesnt get an awful lot of excel to begin with, mostly hay and greens, but he very rarely eats hay! So thought this would be good, as he loves the dried food more than anything.

I use supreme science selective pellets. Before that simba had burgess pellets but produced alot of caecal poos.. on SS he doesnt.. and seems to enjoy them better.
I cant find the link for a free sample but you can try emailing russel@suppet.co.uk you can also email this address if u want to know your local stockist for the food.

My bunnies used to be on Excel but I've switched to science selective now and they seem to prefer it!!!

Diddeen said:
I use supreme science selective pellets. Before that simba had burgess pellets but produced alot of caecal poos.. on SS he doesnt.. and seems to enjoy them better.
I cant find the link for a free sample but you can try emailing russel@suppet.co.uk you can also email this address if u want to know your local stockist for the food.

Yes, thats what I've heard alot of people say - seems good stuff. Think I may just pop to the vets on saturday and buy a bag - its only a couple of pounds if I remember rightly as my friend got some not long ago. And then at least I can start him off with a little bit over the weekend until I gradually ween him off excel. Thanks for that Diddeen. :wink:

mine have excel dwarf rabbit, Jessica [when we first got her] had a mix and she'd dig her way through it to find the bits she liked :?

Betty

Kerri.. you should be able to find it in a local petshop, altho its harder to locate i must admit. If you email that email give them your postcode and they will send u some local places they supply.. unfortunately it doesnt always mean they stock science selective.. but i phoned several local petshops to check aswell.

When i was just at the vets, Companion Care vets within Pets at Home the vet told me that there was a pellet food they sell which comes in a big tub but that the rabbits only need a small scoop of a day as it is very high fibre. He did say he thought it was about £12 a tub but that this would last several months at least. I cant remember what he said it was called now. Anyone any ideas?

I use science selective which all four bunnies seem to like (they were a bit picky with the excel) and the trouble with the likes of the mixes (Russel Rabbit, Bunny Brunch etc) is that they pick out the bits they want - basically as far as buns go it is easier not to give them a choice as they can be a bit too picky :roll:

Science Selective is about £3.45 for a 3kg bag - you should be able to get it as most pet shops - I think Pets at Home have stopped selling it. They have intorduced their own brand whch looks the same (the packet I mean is identical to SS). I bought it my mistake and the buns were like "what is this mum??????.

On the whole I have never heard any bad reports aboout SS. LAso I can honestly say that all four bunnies produce lovely poos (they get SS, hay and a wee bitty veg now and again) :D

lol Pam

Hi there

I feed Chudleys Rabbit Royale, which I feel is a good quality food with a high fibre content, which is important.

Clare

Back