• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caz, Jeremey, Alice!! xx

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Hia guys (and anyone else who knows about big bunnies :wink: )

As you all know, I've been advised by the lovely Alice, her vet and my own vet that Bridget is overweight at a stone and needs to lose weight. At least two pounds before they will think about speying her and then its a maybe!

I have received pm messages (nice ones please don't think I'm annoyed etc!) that I'm wrong to have Bridget on a hay and water diet to lose weight as she should be 16lbs not a stone! :shock: I really don't want to be doing the wrong thing by Bridget so pretty pretty please can you guys tell me the facts of what is the right thing to do once and for all!!

Many many many thanks!!!! :D xxxxxxxxxxx

PS: hay and water diet has worked a treat for her sticky bottom which has totally cleared up...just working on the wet tail (wee wee pongy botty) now!! :roll: :lol:

This might not helpful but you should do what you know best. Or maybe ask your vet. If your vet has suggested doing that then fine. Some people do have a habit on telling other people how to look after their own rabbits. It vital you learn what right for you rabbit – and I am sure you do. :D

There's no doubt that Romy is doing what she thinks best and asking for advice. Its good to see that she has got Bridgets pooey bum under control straight away.

Romy I have posted a reply to you on the MY RABBIT IS A JUNKIE THREAD :)

We have kept large bunnies for 20 years now, and have Boadicea, Teagan and Tiger who are French Lops/ British Giants.

The diet for large bunnies is the same as the smaller breeds, hay, hay and more hay! and some dried food if you wish in moderation for adult bunnies.
Hay keeps the bunnies guts and teeth healthy, and adds bulk, bunnies should not loose weight on a hay only diet, in fact many bunnies gain muscle bulk :)

well I am giong to be putting my bunny onto just hay as he is having dried food too and SS and is doing Caestrophs and not eating them so obviously his diet is too rich.

i would say that you should carry on doing what you are doing as your vet has told you too and if it was going to put Bridget's health at risk there is no way they would recommend the Hay and Water diet.

hope things are going ok with Darcy and Bridget :wink: xx

Tobys on a ALL hay diet today, i don't do this everyday because he just end up going hungry (turns his nose up) and eats the carpet instead :lol: But hey is good anyone that tells you otherwise has a lot of learning to do.

My understanding of any food that is just right for an animal (or person) like hay is to rabbits, is that it will 'normalise' weight, ie bring it up if it's too low or down if it's too high while improving condition either way :D .

I don't think anyone can say that a rabbit 'must' weigh a certain amount because it's a certain breed, within that breed there are always higher and lower weight variables, and dear Bridget definitely looks like she's carrying a little more than is comfortable for her own unique body :p

It seems to me that you're doing wonderfully with her :D

KateRowan said:
My understanding of any food that is just right for an animal (or person) like hay is to rabbits, is that it will 'normalise' weight, ie bring it up if it's too low or down if it's too high while improving condition either way :D .

:D

Very well said Kate :D
I agree too that Romy is doing a brilliant job with Bridget :D

Oh thanks a lot guys!! Its a relief to know I'm not doing the wrong thing!!

I have to say Bridget has lots more energy since being on the hay diet - she is running around (or trying which is rather amusing!! :lol: ) Maybe its good for her bulk her muscles as I don't think she used them being stuck in the hutch for two years!

What do you do to help a rabbit lose the weight then? How complicated! I would like her to lose at least two pounds so my vet will consider letting her be speyed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :D

Romy said:
What do you do to help a rabbit lose the weight then? How complicated! I would like her to lose at least two pounds so my vet will consider letting her be speyed.

Rob was overweight - he has lost just over a kilo (not sure what that is in pounds :oops: ), but it was gradual over about 3/4 months, and has now stabilised :) . Main change to his diet was lots of hay and herbs and reduced SS pellets.

Rob seems to have more energy now aswell, but I'm not sure that is all to do with the diet - I think the company of Miss Molly has made him a bit livelier :wink:, and the nicer weather means more binkying round the garden :)

Romy I do not think you need to do much to help Bridget loose weight, the predominantly hay diet will sort that out naturally for you over time. :)

Nala is also on a hay diet, with some veggies too.. but what i worry about is that she is lacking in vitamins/minerals if she doesnt have the pellet food. I tried introducing the pellets back to her diet with a really small amount but she did some soft poops. Should we give rabbits on just hay diet supplements? if so what and where do we get them?

Sorry Romy.. didnt mean to butt in on your post but while we on the subject just wanted to ask rather than do a new thread. :wink:

What sort of pellets were you using? Some are higher in fibre than others so you could try a different brand. If she hasn't had them for awhile then they need to be reintroduced really slowly like new veggies. Just a pinch at a time to start with.

In response to Romy - since Zeus was on the hay "only" diet (I did cave in occasionally with some veggies and pellets) for his teeth he has lost weight and although in his case this was an undesired side effect he has been full of beans and in great spirits so althogether not a bad thing.

In my case the vet has now told me to increase the pellet volume slightly to bring his weight back up and maintain it at the level the vet has recommended.

I am sure that a mainly hay diet with just a few veggies and pellets is the healthiest and best way for a large bunny to diet. It has had the desired effect on Zeus forcing him to eat more hay and he has suffered no long term ill effects (not that I was expecting any as this is a more natural diet than pelleted food).

Once she has reached a weight that the vet feels is healthy for her than you can introduce a few pellets if you wish.

I must admit I gave Zeus a few pellets as I was concerned about lack of vitamins (especially as he is mainly a house bunny and not on grass all day) but I am weak and those big pleading eyes were too much to bear as well ;) !

Good luck Bridget - just don't put weight back on for the sequal like Renee!!

Caz

I am pleased that Woodgreen have been responsible for Sidney and his weight problem as it sounds very scary :shock: what they should and shouldn't have and what they should weigh. Sidney is a rather large chap and eats a diet of Timothy hay and a few veggies, no pellets and is now able to move around and clean himself :D which he couldn't do before, he was in a real bad way bless him
Good luck with Bridget, she will soon be up and running due to the good food and huge amounts of love she gets.

Back