• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rabbit Junkie

Toby

Banned
Alright I didn’t think rabbits liked chocolate! Well I was tucking into a nice KitKat when I had to put it down to take a phone call from my mother :roll: – to go back to pick it up and it had GONE! I then heard *munch munch munch* and there was Toby eating it in the corner :shock: ! Well I am not talking to him for the rest of the day now - that was the last one as well!! :lol:

Can anyone else tell me if there rabbits have had chocolate before - I know its very BAD for them but I wanted to see if there are any other naughty little buns out there :lol: My Rabbit is such a Junkie I give up lol. I might as well sit him at the dinner table with a knif and folk so he can eat a full meal with us! :? He only wants to eat what we are eating.

The other day I put my lunch box on the hall floor and ran upstairs to get something. Brendan came in through the front door to tell me the engine was running :roll: to find that somehow Zeus and Athena had got the lid off and Zeus had run off with my apple (I let him have it as it was beyond saving) and Athena was trying to get through the clingfilm on my sausage sandwich :shock: (that I rescued).

Zeus also tries to get in the cereal cuboard everytime I open it and has in the past managed to remove and eat part of shredded weat and weetabix bars before I have found him. Luckily he hasn't figured out clippits yet otherwise there would be a host of unsuitable sugary cereals for him to get his paws on.

He has also in his excitement at seeing an open cupboard door run off with a packet of mars bars and a potato both of which were removed before he had taken a bite!

He has been worse since his strict diet and I can't leave toast anywhere as he loves dried bread/toast. Thankfully he hasn't eaten any with butter or jam on.

He would love my parent's house as their toaster every so often catapaults toast out of the toaster and it flies quite far before hitting the floor - I could imagine him sitting there under it waiting with his mouth open ;) !

Caz

Caz

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh what a naughty boy Toby is I must admit I know it is bad for them but seeing all that I would have to have laughed at his cheek! My bunny licked my thumb clean the other day cos I have been holding a chocolate biscuit and there was melted chocolate on my thumb, it went down a treat with him but I definitely will not make a habit of giving him chocolate :shock:

Darcy LOVES chocolate. I have to be really careful as he has run off and munched some of biscuits before!! Luckily he has been absolutely fine - stomach of reinforced steel I think!! :lol: :lol:

I've managed to keep him at bay by giving him some special rabbit choccies/milk drops otherwise I don't think he would let me live... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must admit I know it is bad for them but seeing all that I would have to have laughed at his cheek!

That’s kind of what I did :lol: I spoke to my mum and she told me he has had chocolate before (awhile ago) and he does like it (though he never use to like as much as he does now…strange). Doesn't surprise me though, that rabbit likes everything he shouldn't like (or eat for that matter) and his getting worse as his getting older. He must think his a human or something. It probably won't be long before his tucking into a nice turkey dinner with us at xmas :lol:

ahhhh the ony thing is with my bunny is he don't like the chocolate drops milk drops or yoghurt drops so I couldn't believe it when he loved our chocolate, he ain't daft he knows what is the real stuff and what isn't :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol how can you not like real chocolate :love: :lol: There are probably some people reading this thread going “What tha…” :lol: ….but seriously rabbits do beg for sweeties and when they want it they will get it when your not looking! I am wondering if Toby has a stash of chocolate hidden somewhere and he sits munching it all night, and his probably the lucky sort that doesn't but weight on no matter home much he eats :p

I do believe that all house rabbits get spoilt and there for get faddier with food. Toby really has since he has moved indoors. They see and smell what we eat and probably think (looking at their greens) "I aren’t eating this boring stuff" :wink:

Toby said:
They see and smell what we eat and probably think (looking at their greens) "I aren’t eating this boring stuff" :wink:[/color]

I don't think greens are boring to a bunny. Miss Molly acts like a big green leaf is the most exciting food on earth. :)

Beatrix stole one of my Christmas pressies when I was at work, she ate nearly a whole bar of fruit and nut, it wasn't even a small one, She's mad for it.

I understand chocolate can kill rabbits - I know that. However I do feel that some people can be "over" stricked with this diet thing. I mean we as humans eat what the heck we like and we don't have the best diets do we. We all eat things that we shouldn't from time to time. I DO believe Diets are important (as they are to everyone and thing) however I also believe that there is a line, you can be too healthy and that also isn't good. I give Toby treats - and I hold my hands up that Toby is a very faddy rabbit and there is not much I can do about it. If you had him you would be in the same boat. At the end of the day I don't want him to starve as any owner wouldn't want to feel their bun is hungry. Toby has been on the same Diet all his life and it hasn't done him any harm - yet a friend of mine was VERY VERY stricked with what her bun ate (she even measured his food) and he died way before Toby did and I believe they was the same age (I think her rabbit was a year younger), so that tells me that it's not all down to diet. It tells me that it's through the history of the rabbit’s family as well. Don't forget that all rabbits are different, some rabbits might get an upset tummy on greens, others will get an upset tummy on hey or straw....just because it's "health food" does not mean your rabbit will get along with it. I do think a lot of people forget that rabbits are individual animals. I think if you want to treat your rabbit then that’s fine. I have never gone by the book, I have learned how to look after rabbits though people like you and exsperience and just did things my own way - and it has worked well. However Just because Toby eats what he eats does not mean another rabbit I have would have the same diet, as i said all rabbits are different.

Okay I have had a ramble (and probably p*ssed some people off :lol:) but I am just being honest.

Toby said:
however I also believe that there is a line, you can be too healthy and that also isn't good. .[/color]

This is a concept I'm having difficulty understanding - how can you be too healthy and how can that be bad for you?

This is a concept I'm having difficulty understanding - how can you be too healthy and how can that be bad for you?

Eating to many Chocolates is bad for you as is eating too many beef burgers, and it isn't good for you to have too much of the good stuff either. Put it this way, too much of ANYTHING is bad for you. There needs to be a balance. I am a bit of a fitness freak and work out a lot and stuff like that and I have learnt that Dieting is just useless. The best thing anyone or thing can do is just have a balanced diet. It has been said that a bit of wine or chocolate is good for you….but too much is bad. It is actually good for you to have a bit of chocolate. Chocolate can kill Rabbits, dogs and humans overtime if you have had too much. A little bit isn't going to hurt anyone.

Toby said:

Eating to many Chocolates is bad for you as is eating too many beef burgers, and it isn't good for you to have too much of the good stuff either. Put it this way, too much of ANYTHING is bad for you. There needs to be a balance. I am a bit of a fitness freak and work out a lot and stuff like that and I have learnt that Dieting is just useless. The best thing anyone or thing can do is just have a balanced diet. It has been said that a bit of wine or chocolate is good for you….but too much is bad. It is actually good for you to have a bit of chocolate. Chocolate can kill Rabbits, dogs and humans overtime if you have had too much. A little bit isn't going to hurt anyone.
But eating too many chocolates and burgers wouldn't be classed as too healthy so I'm very confused here. Also please clarify on which good stuff is bad for you if you have too much of it.

I am not saying there is a particular health food that is bad for you – I am just saying that too much of anything is bad for you. Put is this way: Going to McDonalds often is bad for you, Dieting (trying loosing weight) is bad for you if done often….to much of anything (good or bad is isn’t a good idea.) because you not getting ALL the vits you need. This is how I have always thought with buns – a good balance diet. However that is only my opinion.

I think as far as animals diets go its us humans that have thr problem.

We are conditioned so want our food to look attractive and because we are like that we think every other living creature is the same - they are not.

Animals need animal food and humans need human food.

Chocolate - even so called bunny or doggie chocolate is bad for animals and is just a money making racket by big businesses who play on people's emotions by making them feel that unless they give their pets this stuff their animal is being deprived.

Personally I have never yet seen a bunny at the pic and mix counter at Woolies : :lol: :lol:

lol Pam

I do agree with what you are saying kimbun's mum. However i don't eat Toby’s food - Toby chooses to eat my food....it's not like I am force feeding him to eat my kitkat :lol: that was the last one! :? :lol:

Chocolate - even so called bunny or doggie chocolate is bad for animals and is just a money making racket by big businesses who play on people's emotions by making them feel that unless they give their pets this stuff their animal is being deprived.

I think most people choose to give their pets chocolate - I don't think businesses are making people or animals eat chocolate. I eat chocolate because I like to taste, and i think this is the same case with our pets. However as I said before, "a bit" of chocolate is good for you. I don't know if this is the case with animal’s but a highly doute a little bit harms anyone. People smoke and drink all sorts of rubbish but yet we are very stricked what the animals eat, in most cases animals have a life we give them. They eat what we give them and so on, and rabbits don't really have a wide choose of food compared to what we have. So i don't think a little bit is reallt harmful.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that chocolate is a suitable substance to feed to a rabbit. They have 50 million odd years of evolution to a primarily grass and hay based diet, and I don't personally regard "a little bit won't kill them" as a very sound nutritional position. Rabbits aren't meant to have a varied diet. They're not "designed" for it.

It has to be remembered that rabbits are herbivores and humans are omnivores. We can cope with a huge range of toxins because we've evolved that way. Rabbits are not nearly as hardy as human beings, and just because there are a few that live to a ripe old age despite eating people food that doesn't mean that it isn't very harmful to them. My grandad drank a bottle of scotch every day for at least the last 20 years of his life and still made it to 80; that doesn't mean that slamming down your weekly allowance and a half every day won't do you serious damage.

I appreciate that rabbits are obstinate little muckers, and sometimes despite our best efforts they will get their noses into things that are bad for them. I also appreciate that they're pretty thick in terms of knowing what's going to do them harm, but I still find it shocking that people are casual about giving things like crisps and chocolate to them. We can make the choice to eat a 500g bar of Galaxy, or drink a whole bottle of wine. Rabbits are not, lovely as they are, that smart, and it is our responsibility to make sure they get a decent diet - as it would be with children.

I'm really trying not to have a go at anyone, but I do find the "well, my rabbit has his Chinese takeaway every week without fail and he's 6" comments extremely disturbing.

I've said it already, but I think it's a very important point; rabbits are not nearly intelligent enough to be allowed to choose their own food when they're out of their natural environment, and the responsibility is on us to ensure that they're only fed an appropriate diet.

Back