• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel Terrible!

Misty&Cassie

Young Bun
:cry: Me and my dad went to a basketball game tonight, and come back to Janie laying on her side. Just like Misty and Cassie! We rush her to the vet(different vet, than M & C's) and he said that she had a virus that acted very quickly. I told him how I had found Misty and Cassie. He asked me if I had used any of M & C's things for J. I said no. He then said that the virus can lay doorment(sp?) in anything that the sick bunny had touched. Misty and Cassie had been all over my room, and so had Janie! After the vet gave her evrything that he had to ease her pain she died in my arms. I feel terrible. I feel like it is all my fault for not scrubbing my whole bedroom upside down, before we brought Janie home. I don't feel like I can handle another bun at this time. And I might not be on for a couple of days. Thank-you for taking the time to read this. :cry:

Oh that is so sad, poor little Janie. Please don't feel bad, sometimes there is just nothing we can do about the spread of viruses.

It is so hard when a pet dies though and no matter what; we always wonder what we could have done differently. At least Janie didn't die alone; she had pain relief and the comfort of your arms around her.
I am sure that sometime in the future you will be able to have another Rabbit. There are so many of them needing lots of love.

Take care. Hope you feel able to come back to the site soon.

Hunnybun xx

How awful for you :(

You shouldn't blame yourself, there was no way of you ever knowing that this would happen.

Take care x

I don't know if it is too late to get some blood tests done but it could be VHD in which case it would be very difficult to erradicate.

I am very sorry for your loss that is awful to lose your bunnies in that way.

Love and hugs

Caz

Oh Poor you - You've had such a loss during the past couple of days - poor little Janie.

As mentioned here, don't beat yourself up, you did your best for your bunsters.

Hope your feel better soon.

Guys I don't know if this is Great or if Iam just setting myself up for another poor sick bunny. I got this e-mail from a breeder that I had
e-mailed a couple days ago when I was thinking of getting a friend for Janie. Here is some of it.

Dear Payton,
We still have Lacy but she may be having another
litter soon. I do however have a wonderfully
beautiful sweet bunny named Creamy. She is a Holland
Lop and is three years old. She has been spayed and
was the Popular store portrait bunny. She would make an
awesome indoor bunny.

I edited it to take out some names and things. You all already know my name so no biggy.

I would be very careful as some viruses can lay dormant for months. I can't think of anyway to guarantee that any new bunnies will get ill.

Are you sure it was viral and there wasn't something poisonous she could have eaten?

Caz

Caz said:
I would be very careful as some viruses can lay dormant for months. I can't think of anyway to guarantee that any new bunnies will get ill.

Are you sure it was viral and there wasn't something poisonous she could have eaten?

Caz

Well the vet said to Lysol everything in the room and throw away stuff I didn't need. Then let it set for a couple of days and do it again. He said that by then it should be all cleared up. And he said it was viral.

I'm so sorry. That is truly awful. Please don't blame yourself as you weren't to know. Sending you lots of love and hugs xxxxxxx

Misty&Cassie said:
Caz said:

Caz

Well the vet said to Lysol everything in the room and throw away stuff I didn't need. Then let it set for a couple of days and do it again. He said that by then it should be all cleared up. And he said it was viral.

Be careful as a lot of proper anti-virals also contain bleach and will stain material.

Make sure you throw away all uneated food/hay/toys and treats that you bought unless they are plastic and can be steralised with boiling water or soaking in a virkon like solution.

You will need to spray the hutch or cage with an anti-viral like Virkon and let it sit and the vet is right it will need a couple of applications.

Good luck :) !

Caz

I've just come back here after a few weeks away - and was so sorry to read your last couple of posts.

There was nothing more you could have done there - although it is obviously incredibly distressing to go through such trauma in such a short space of time.

I'm afraid I haven't got any advice on how to best clear up any traces of a possible virus in the surroundings there, although I do know that some can hang around for a long while.

Is there no way the vet can be more specific on the exact type of virus ? - I would have thought (as a complete no-vetinary knowledge person) that it would be important to identify a case of VHD in case of spread.

anyway - our thoughts are with you - take care

martin & Pam

AWW you poor thing, I was in shock reading that she'd died too, cant believe it. Please dont blame yourself. xx

Back