• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed please

:( Hi everyone. I need a little advice please.

One of my buns passed today very suddenly. we had no idea he was ill. Bazil was bonded with my french lop Baby for over 2 years. Our vet advised us to keep Bazil with Baby for a while after he died so she would know that he had gone She is really lost. I was considering sleeping in her room tonight so she has some company as she is wanting alot of hugs & cuddles whenever i go near her. what do you think.

xx

oh my gosh, I am so sorry! Is the bunny that passed away still in the cage? I wouldn't suggest leaving him in the cage, because as soon as it happened, baby knew. It will be hard for baby because she has been with another rabbit for so long, and then her best friend suddenly is gone. Sleeping in the same room with her may just cause more stress for her, I'm not sure. Just try to keep as normal as possible, and I am so sorry for you loss.
((((((hugs and love to you and Baby)))))

Hi thanks for your message

We took Bazil out to the vets a few hours after it happened & cleaned out their cage.

Have decided to sleep in same room as she's following me all over. We've had Baby since she was 8 weeks, she's always been very calm but she seems to be more stressed when i leave her alone at the moment.

Prob just see how it goes tonight.

Again thank you xx

you know your buns much better than I do and if you see that baby is stressed, It might be a good Idea to sleep with her! give her tons of feel better kisses for me! You too....feel better and if you need to chat, you know where to find us :)

(((((((((hugs and love)))))))))

Do you have anything that smells of your other bun - maybe that could act as a comforter.

Sometimes a soft toy helps too.

lol Pam

I'm really sorry for your loss - its always so sad when you loose a much treasured bunster and I think as folks have mentioned here only you know your bunny and if you feel she is needy at the moment and needs loads of TLC then you'll know the right things to do.

When we lost Dillon last year Buffy was sad and lonely but I felt she needed time to grieve so I gave her loads of TLC and fuss to help her - after around a week or so we introduced Cagney but only in a caged separate area so she could see, sniff and investigate and if was the making of her - it was almost like she found a new will to live again.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your bunny sleepover! - awww snuggling a bunny all night - almost worth trading in MOH :lol: :wink:

kimbun's mum said:
Do you have anything that smells of your other bun - maybe that could act as a comforter.

Sometimes a soft toy helps too.
lol Pam

Yo Pam - can I ask - does this help or can it confuse the bunny if they have sorta just come to terms with the loss of a partner!! - Would just be interested on thoughts on this - Having said that I've heard this sometimes works with Two Foots doesn't it - when we lost my brother when he was quite young I remember my Mum wore one of his jumpers for days as she said she felt close to him - I can giggle about it now but she did look a little frumpy in a jumber four times bigger than she was - Bless her :wink:

Back