• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

on the grass???

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
how long should you let a bun that has not been on the grass on there for?

edit: i meant eatting it as i dont want to give them belly ache cause there not used to it
Eve x

The first time your bun is on the grass, it should be pretty nervous and may not want to be out there very long. I just took my bun out on the grass for the first time and he stayed in a very small area, just sniffing. Then, the day after the area he stayed in got bigger, and bigger, and bigger. Then, yesterday I had him on a little harness type thing, taking him to his pen, and he was pulling me all over the place! It was so cute! So, I would just let him get used to it, he may get used to it right away, or it may take a couple of days like it did for my bun. Good luck!

I guess it depends if they have ever had grass before? With babies I would do short bursts cos of their tums. Somebody a bit older whose tum is fine I'd prob say 45 min to an hour, depends on how much they eat the grass really!! Just keep an eye on poos and u will soon know!!

To be honest, I go by the individual and see how they go, I've never intentionally just kept them out there for a certain length of time, just need to watch them make sure they aren't gorging themselves!!

Nicola

these are 20 weeks old and have never been on the grass so i was wndering how long i could keep them on there when i start.

I don't know if this is 100%, but ith babies I usually leave them for about an hour the first time, gradually increasing this over a period of time in half to one hours. So far I have not had problems. Alice

maverick is 18 months old now, he only like th grass in the summer, he spreads right out. In the winter i have him indoors for about an hour just to get a run around. He like tos stay in the run for about 2 hours in the summer, if we are out there he will stay out there with us and be nosey

I don't have to worry about it at the moment as I have no grass at all in my garden :cry:

Its just mud :cry: :cry: [/url]

Hugs and Bunny come out pretty much all day when i am off and will eat the grass for ages, should i stop this?? They seem fine, poos are good, no problems, touch wood, don't want to hurt my babies :(

Buns are fine on grass as long as they get plenty of hay and other food stuffs Mine live outside permanently and there o.k

They get plenty of hay, would hate to think i was causing them any harm :(
We are going to try and grow timothy hay for them too,Hugs and Bun aren't too bothered by it but Millie and Bonny love it and so does Sidney superbun :D Never been much of a gardener though :lol:

Mark said:
They get plenty of hay, would hate to think i was causing them any harm :(
We are going to try and grow timothy hay for them too,Hugs and Bun aren't too bothered by it but Millie and Bonny love it and so does Sidney superbun :D Never been much of a gardener though :lol:

rabbits that are not used to grass can suffer gut problems if not used to it, the best thing for a rabbit thats is not used to it is small goes on the grass until they are used to it, my question was how long on the grass at the start?

Eve x

Eve, I'd say about an hour a day until there used to it and watch there poo if it starts to get sloppy decrease the time there out.

I'd say it depends on how much nibbling they do! My bunnies arent interested in eating grass at all so it was never a problem when they first went out!

bunnylove said:
oh sorry maybe i did not explain properly i meant eating it for the first time!!!!

For a minute then I thought you meant smoking it :lol:

Back