• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need a little Help

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

Tommorow my very lovely lop is going to the vet to have his front teeth removed (maloclusion) and i need to know what to feed him as he obviously will not have any front teeth and is having to have his back ones rasped!!!!! V Scared any advice? :cry:

Hiya please dont panic, we have bunnies here in the Sanctuary without any teeth.
What we do, is grate celery and carrot for veggies as these help keep the guts moving.
We cut up hay into chaff in a bowl and the bunnies eat that fine :wink:
We soak the dried food in warm water to make it soft (not runny) and the bunnies eat it quite happily.
You can feed a third of a jar of baby food once a day if the bunny cannot manage the grated food.

Bunnies manage fine without teeth, I know the thought of it is scary, but truly it is nothing to worry about, you just have to cut, mash and grate things up for him/her instead :)
hope this reassures you??

Good luck for the surgery tomorrow please let us know how your bunny gets on.
If you need any more help, you know where we are.
best wishes

Hi there one of my rabbits only has one front tooth and that grows straight forward :( . He has no problems with hay or pellets or herbs (he seems to vacuum them up and then chew them at the back of his mouth), but I do grate or give peeled strips of any veg like carrot if he gets some as a treat as he can't manage those. I would have had his last tooth removed as it's much more of a nuisance than anything for him, but he was rescued as a middle aged bun and his jaw is too deformed to get it out. He really doesn't seem bothered by having no front teeth though. I guess it depends on the rabbit and how his other teeth are working or not :p .

Adele that's amazing that you've got rabbits with no teeth, I didn't realise that was possible, your suggestions are something I'll bear in mind if Ferdy ever does start having problems coping.

Hope the op on your bun goes well tomorrow and that his back teeth don't need rasping too often .

Hi, don't worry to much, Fudge had his removed, we got in from picking him up and the moment we got in i picked some bandelions (if that's how you spell it) and he gulped them down straight away, he eats carrot tops whole and we chop his carrots etc into little squares, he now eats his food quicker than he did when he had his teeth, and when he's finished he try nicking Woodys carrot (whole).
One thing though keep an eye on the rear end as they can't clean that well, Fudge has just had all his fur shaved around his bum as it was starting to get very notty.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S. Why is he/she having the teeth taken out??????????

Hi

Pie (on the left of the signature) has not had any front teeth for years and eats pretty much everything. He managed science selective fine (although you have to make sure he gets enough as he eats slower than the others) - I give him some separate from the others to make sure he gets his share.

He also eats all srts of veggies and greens (I just grate or cube them into SS size bits) -

Pie is also a massive hay eater and I don't have to chop or cut it. He just puts it into the side of his mouth and chomps away. On his last checkup at the vets his back teeth were fine but a bit of an odd shape - this is because he uses them to compensate for his lack of front ones.

A gummy bunny kiss is lovely.

lol Pam

Many thanks for all the advice, Thumper has now gone off to the vet and my mum is picking him up at 3:30!!!! He didn't look very happy i think he new he was going to the vet. Many thanks for the feeding tips everyone.

Twiggy, He's having them out because of maloclusion, his teeth grow squint and he can't eat properly which is making him quite sick. But he'll be fine i hope!!!!

Thanks Again everyone!! :cry:

Good luck Thumper Bunster - I bet your folks will be glad to have u home again later for loads of TLC and all those fab new food receipes - Phill - you'll be the Jamie Oliver of the Bunny Forum :wink:

many Thanks Bunny tales, Yes i shall be whipping up a storm in my kitchen Soaking, Gratting and Chopping!!!!!

Back