• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size hutch?

Freckles

Young Bun
I need to replace my hutch and want some advice. What size do two rabbits need, whose hutch is protected insude a garden shed (so intheory does not need weatherproofing?)
Does anyone have a second hand one suitable?

What other exercise do they have available? Obviously if they have the run of the shed and the hutch is just for sleeping it doesn't need to be so big as if they are spending most of their time in it.

Also what size are you bunnies?

For medium sized rabbits I would say a 5' hutch plus attached run.

Height is also important, they should be able to stand up on the back legs without rubbing their ears on the top. Depending on how tall your bunny is thats usually 18-24".

A two storey hutch is a good way to get extra space without taking up lots of room, that might be particularly handy inside a shed, where floor space is limited.

Some of the members here have lovely setups with rabbits living free in sheds, with shelves and a sleeping box. Thats a good option and if you already have a shed, cheaper than getting a hutch.

Tam

Hutchadvice

Thanks for the quick reply!
At present we have the hutch (a handbuilt one from 15 years ago so now on last leges) up on a 'top tier' of the shed with a ramp down to the floor. the rabbits (two English spot bunns) have full run of the shed up and down levels all day and for ashort space of time are let out onto the garden (we are training the puppy to share!) So exercise is plentiful it is just for night times they use the hutch- I did read about getting a dog crate for them but then there is no 'private space' - is that necessary?

our two outdoor buns have a childrens playhouse with an enclosed sleeping area in it and they never use it, they used to poo and wee in it but don't now, they sleep either outside in all weathers or on top of the sleeping quarters :roll: :roll:
DSC00640.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

We have no grass now this was the hutch in progress :?
They have access to their run all the time through a hole in the side, it hadn't been done in the picture :D

I have a two tier 4ft hutch that i use for two rabbits they have the run of the garden at the mo till the new run a\ra is finished :shock:

Hiya

I only have one bunny in a shed, but she has a covered cat litter tray filled with hay and straw which she uses to sleep in, with a bit of Vetbed on top of the box, she loves to jump up onto it. You could build a nice box out of wood for them to sleep in or get a big cardboard box. Princess my bunny also has a soft cat bed which she loves 2 sleep in 2. I don't have a run attached yet but hoping to in summer but not so important for me as she gets regular runs round the garden and house!!

Nicola

hutches

thank you everyone - so helpful and friendly but then all bunny folk are!
I managed to find our local DIY place had a shop soiled 4 ft hutch going cheap today. It gives me piece of mind at night that they are inside a hutch inside a shed; as we lost our last rabbit to the park foxes who came in when bunny was enjoying the garden and the nieghbours are reporting a lot of rat activity around and I notice a few nibbles around the shed...
Have just bedded bunnies down for the night. All looking very cosy.

Ah brill glad you found something :) Happy bunnies in their new home then!! :D

Oh and Mark, I love the hanging basket filled with hay idea, I'm gonna have to go looking for a spare hanging basket now!!

Nicola

Back