• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can they tell if she has been spayed?

sassy_chimp

Young Bun
Hi - Please forgive me if my question is stupid :oops: . Now we know Michael (Mykella) is female, we would like to get a male for her and get her spayed.
I didn't feel confident with the vet we visited to have her injections so will be looking for another one with a better understanding of rabbits.
My question though, because we don't know Michaels background, we don't know if she has been spayed already. Is there any way we/vets can tell?
I would like to get her spayed for health reasons, but then again we don't really know how old she is. Would it be ok to put a neutered male in with her?
I'm off on holiday tomorrow, 8) so won't be able to reply till when I get back, but any advice please would be great. I'm now worrying about Michael, at the bunny boarding place, missing her lots!! Sorry if I have waffled. :oops:

h where are youi n essex? and where did you get the bunny from?

i was told that the vets can do a ultra sound, so if there is no scar to see take her to the vets for an ultra sound!!!

eve

hi i use companion care at romford,essex, they are really great and prices are very competative, i am lucky because most of the vets there are rabbit savy..

Interesting question!

I would be intersted to know the answer.

I suppose on some doe's you can see the scar.

Louise

You can also sometimes feel a scar but Im not sure how long after the op you can feel it for :?

Angela

We had the same problem.

When we got MooShu from the shelter, we were told that he/she was a baby buck. We were told that he/she was about 12 weeks old and were suspisious because there were no neuter scars, but figured that a male might heal quicker and there would be no scar.

At about 6 months it was obvious that MooShu was a female. Even the adoption papers were wrong. We took her back to the shelter and asked to speak to the vet. She confirmed that the bunnie was a female, but stated that the only way to confirm would to be to do surgery. If she hadn't been spayed then they would do it at that time.

There was no visible scar, but two of our other does that had been spayed had no visible scars after about 3 months either. I decided that I would not let them do anything further, but haven't decided what to do. MooShu is now a little over a year old.

Jim

Rabbits heal really well, so often you don't see a scar, as mentioned. Like Eve said, an ultrasound can be done to look for a uterus. I do know of cases where the bun was ultrasounded and nothing found, put with an entire buck, and she came out pregnant, though... :roll: Sometimes it's just best to open them up and see but this isn't very desirable (it'd be like opening us up just to have a look!)...best to discuss it with a vet. Check out http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/system/Search.asp?NodeID=89660 for the RCVS' "find a vet" system, or contact the RWA for a good vet in your area!

Thank you so much.
:thumb: I have been recommended a vets, who I will speak to when we get back. Not knowing her age, well we were told about 4 but now I don't know whether to believe it or now, I don't won't to put her through anything that could be too much. I am sure the vet will know best though. I will let you know when I return in 3 weeks, hopefully looking for a male friend for the little lady :bunny: .

If u were told when u got the bun it was a he then it wont have bin done.u can pair her up with a nutered male and it would be ok she would every now and again get broody and mount him but it rarly leads to problems.If a doe has not had babys though its more comman for them to get womb problems. val

Back