• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!!!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
my bun has managed to get into the cupboard and eat a chocolate shortcake biscuit, :oops: :oops: will he be ill? and what should i do?

thanks

eve x

I'm afraid I have to agree choc is poisonous and buns can't vomit ......it'll have to be the vet asap .............good luck

Oh no, eve which is it? The babies or an older one?

I hope their ok, i kno its poisoness but sometimes bunnies r fairly resilient, i mean they manage lino ok! :? Let us kno what the vet says x

Eve - I wouldn't panic yet, wait and see how he is.

I found out that my housemate used to feed my buns chocolate hobnobs when I wasn't there! He'd done it a few times before I found out and went mad at him. :shock: My two buns were fine. Don't panic yet. As I understand it they can have a reaction to it but I'd have thought it would happen pretty much immediately as buns have fairly fast metabolisms. I'd just keep a real close eye on bun. Perhaps call your vet for advice if you're really worried.

I hope he's ok.

Bev

I would phone your vet for advice if you are really worried. Darcy has eaten a bit of choccie chip biscuit before and been fine (grabbed it off my coffee table!). Maybe just watch him and see how he is. Fingers crossed matey xxxxx

I'm really sorry - the first time I read it that he had eaten some chocolate cake and not just a choc. covered biscuit - I panicked, I'm so sorry.

Cocoa powder used in cakes has more theobromine than milk chocolate but I would still ask for advice from the vet.

You might be alright, unless your bun has a particularly weak tum. Ben stole a big chunk of Easter egg out of my hand last easter and got quite a lot in his mouth before I could get it back :shock: :lol: . He was absolutely fine, didn't even put him off his dinner !! So I would just keep a very close eye if I were you :).

I wouldn't panic!

Just keep an eye on him.

Every Rabbit is bound to get hold of something they are not supposed to one time or another.

Louise

hi there thanks for the responses, i also panicked, and phoned the emergancy vet, and they said that the amount he has eaten probably wont do much harm, and there really is not much they can do anyway once it has gone in!!! but to keep a close eye on him, he had a couple of soft poos, but they have now gone back to normal (within the hour) so i am keeping my fingers crossed and have now put a child lock on the door :shock:

thanks

eve x

They really like chocolate unfortunately. Isadora mugged me for some the other day. It seems to be the rabbit equivalent of cat nip :? She was not taking no for an answer :roll: She jumped back up on me everytime I tried to get her off. One way to stop me eating too much :shock: If she was the Easter Bunny no one would get any eggs :lol:

I wonder is it really toxic for rabbits, or is simply not good for them - like it is not good for us :?: Or like it is actually toxic for dogs :?:

choco

Fudge is the little choco theif in our house!! he loves it. When he was little he was sitting on my shoulder and i was eating malteasers, and he moved himself so he was under my chin (i just though he was sitting there pretending he was hiding) but no, he nicked the malteaser from my hand, (as it was about to go in my mouth, and he nicked it and run off with it!!! the little theif, :lol: :lol:

I can only find one book in my collection that mentions chocolate/theobromine being toxic to rabbits (this book is by a French Canadian vet and in French so probably not available here but it's Le Lapin by Manon Tremblay).

Most references to chocolate being toxic are about dogs but my worry is that this might be because until fairly recently houserabbits were unheard of and most people don't keep their chocolate in the garden (as a confessed chocaholic even I've yet to resort to this!! :wink: ) and as house pets, dogs could steal it and were even fed it so their reactions to chocolate have been well documented by vets - so I think that a lack of information on toxicity in rabbits maybe because fewer rabbits have had access to it.

Theobromine (the toxic compound in chocolate) is actually toxic to humans too - "death by chocolate" can be real for us but only in very very large quantities :cry: .........it is also closely related in structure to caffine which can also kill humans if given too much!

(sorry about the " :cry: " but I really do love my choc. and it's really hard to admit that it's not the perfect food!!!!!) :p :lol:

How's bun today?

When stuff like that has happened to Evo, I usually send him back to his cage with a massive pile of hay to munch, to try and 'dilute' what he's eaten, and probiotics to try & keep his tum balanced.

Aside from anything else, there's a lot of sugar in chocolate and that can upset a bunny gut. Cassidy stole some chocolate off the table once. She only got a few nibbles before I got it away from her, but she really developed a taste for it and would always come running when she caught a whiff of chocolate after that. Anyone who says chocolate isn't addictive should come meet our bunnies.

I think your bunny should be fine Eve, please dont panic.
If you are concerned phone and explain what has happened to your Vet and request some probiotic for the bunnies drinking water for the next few days to help calm any gut upset that the the chocolate could create.
Prevention is better than cure.
I think one biscuit will not create any adverse reaction though, just a lot of stress for you, the Bunny Mummy :roll: :lol:
Although chocolate is poisonous to bunnies, it does not cause the same immediate dangers as say bunnies injesting a highly toxic substance, but builds up more slowly in the system over time.
I think the chocolate from one biscuit will come through fairly quickly, just monitor your bunnies droppings and behaviour over the next 24 hours to be safe.

Best wishes and lock the biscuit cupboard next time :wink: :lol:

hi thanks everyone, kymber is fine today, i think he is just getting excited at the prospect of a misses!!! he has been eating tones of hay and his dinner last night and breakfast this morning so i think it done him no harm at all, but have put a lock on the door now :oops: :shock: thanks adele!!

thanks eve x

These Rabbit's seem to have a chocolate fetish! :lol:

Stroppy jumped on the sofa this morning, then jumped on the table to get at my box of Green and Black's! He had manged to get the lid open, pulled a Chocolate out and eaten a 1/4 of it before I came in from the kitchen with a stern word! I've never seen him move so fast! :lol:

The little begger is now sat in my rocking chair in front of the fire like butter wouldn't melt! :D

Louise

Heart in mouth here Eve...just so glad Kymber is fine..hope he's not a good lock picker...wee rascal will probably know fine it's there :lol: :lol:

Marlene said:
Heart in mouth here Eve...just so glad Kymber is fine..hope he's not a good lock picker...wee rascal will probably know fine it's there :lol: :lol:

he sure is a loveable rogue, and been acting real werid since valentine has got here, i have a bruise on my leg now where he keeps nugging it for security nose rubs, if think i chocolate was his comfort food :lol: :lol:

Back