• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a run

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Boyf has decided he wants to make a run for the buns outside (he's very handy at building!) as we decided that altho they are indoor buns, in this warm weather they should have an outdoor home too! (Lucky gits arent they?? :wink: )

We looked at buying runs but they were all fairly small and expensive for what we wanted to spend so he's goin to make one, we've bought the chicken-esque wire and timber for the frame to attached to the hutch, what i need to ask is : do foxes dig under the grass to try n get in? i dont want to cover the floor so they can have the grass but worry foxes may dig under!

Also, :? altho most nights they will be in, the odd exceptionally warm night i might try to wean them to acclimatise them to outside temps, is there anything i need to do to their hutch, i.e insulation and what sort and how etc

Sounds like a great idea to me !! I like bunny type DIY jobs so I always make their hutches, run, fences etc.

I've never had a problem with foxes, but I imagine if you always put the buns back in the hutch or back in the house by dusk (when the foxes come out) you will probably be fine.

One of my friends puts metal tent pegs through the corner of her run to anchor it to the grass so it can't be tipped over, so that might be a solution. Or if it is a permanent run next to a hutch then you could dig trenches around it and sink the wire mesh a couple of feet into the ground to stop things digging under. To be honest tho, I think you probably have more chance of your buns digging out than a fox digging in !!! :lol: So you will need to keep an eye while they are in their run anyway.

Also, if you are worried about foxes, then the galvanised wire fence that they use for aviaries is the best thing to use as it doesn't buckle as badly under pressure (trouble is that costs more :( ). If you use the chicken stuff, then make sure you use plenty of whatever you are going attach the wire to the frame with, and all the way round the frame. One of my mum's friends had her bunny taken out of the hutch by a fox who just pushed at the wire front until it came off (it was just held there with a few staples from a staple gun).

Hope that helps.

I've never had a problem with foxes, but I imagine if you always put the buns back in the hutch or back in the house by dusk (when the foxes come out) you will probably be fine. [quote

the foxes are wandering in the day time around here!!!!!!!! and yes they do dig!!!!!!!

If I were you I would use galvanised steel mesh for the run. I have heard of Foxes tearing chicken wire.

Louise

bunnylove said:
the foxes are wandering in the day time around here!!!!!!!! and yes they do dig!!!!!!!
Crikey ! Really ?! We never seem to see them about here (but then I do have a neighbour with a rott weiler dog :shock: :lol: )

How do you cope with bunnies in runs if you know you have a daytime neighbourhood fox then ? Is it just a case of watching them while they are in the run ? Or are there things you can do to protect it ?

Hi,

Make sure the hutch is secure if they are going to be left over night, galvanised wire in the window part and padlocks to secure the doors as the foxes can open those wooden bolts and rip any flimsy wire.

They can dig underneath runs all mine have wire underneath and I returfed over the top, this all sound a bit much but they are so clever. The only ones of mine that have access outside night and day have double wire on the outside as well, it would break my heart if I lost any to a fox

If you dont feel happy that everything is 100% secure don't leave them out until you are. I lost my first ever bunny to a fox and that was because I listened to other people who said I should leave him out at night in the warm weather as it was cruel having him in. That was a long time ago but I've still not forgiven myself I should have gone with my instinct and not listened to others.

Get the DIY going and build fort Knox!!!

You Bunny will love you for it.

Best wishes

Maureen

All sound advice as per usual :thumb:

We will crack on with the run tomorrow, the wire we got is thicker than the usual chicken wire but its the same style, ill sink it in a foot or so i think! the padlock is a good idea too and will be easy to fit to a latch

The buns wont b sleepin there i dont think, the odd night to get them used to it, i dont think theyve ever felt any temp ever bar warm!! i dont want them to be as molychodalled (sp?) as their mums letting them be... honestly they are so bad.. i opened the fridge tonight and mitsy lept in, rummaged around and left with a whole cabbage!! :shock: She has got me sussed alright, im trying to remind her who's boss lol

If you are able dig the wires into the ground so foxes can't dig in and vice versa that is perfect. . I'm sure buns will have a great life, so please weild that spade oh o/h :wink: :wink: :wink:

I would suggest attaching some galvanised mesh to the floor of the run.....the buns will still be able to munch away on the grass but will keep the foxes out as they can dig if determined enough to get in.

Also always use the galvanised mesh.....I have had 2 buns that have managed to knaw through chicken wire....took them some time....but couldn't believe they managed to do it...they had a huge run and lots to amuse them too.....but they just couldn't wait to escape into the garden....

Back