• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Spayed WHAT TO DO?!?!

NUTcRaKeR

New Kit
yay im getting silly spayed 2morow thank god ill be at school but ill be thinking bout her every sercond... my mom says to have lots and lots of fod for her when she gets home...Can u guys tell meh what to do! Im so nervous and i want EVERYTHING to be right for sillys adventure day! TY

Well she can eat right up to her op and its good for to eat again as soon as possible afterwards so you might want to send her with a lunch with her favourite fooods in :D Usually you get asked to phone around 2-4pm to see how the op has gone. They might keep her overnight or send her home in the evening depending on the vet.

You'll need to make sure she has a warm and comfy bed for the night and that the vet has given her a pain killer. Usually they give her a jab with the painkiller and then metacam to take home for the next day.

Good luck, we'll all be thinking of you, come and let us know how she's got on asap :)

Tam

All I know, is that it is very important that she eats. I had my boy neutered, and two weeks later, he passed away. We are not sure if it was complications from the neuter, him not eating properly, or something else like a disease but I want to make sure this doesn't happen to your little silly. I thought my baby(charlie) was eating, but just not as much as before. I thought this was ok because he was over weight, and he got tons of food every day. So, were not sure that it was him not eating that caused his death, but I'm just asking you to be careful! Most vets will give you a syringe so if she doesn't eat, you can mush up her pellets with water and feed it to her that way. Make sure you get it from the vet!! Also, if you see her not eating properly, drinking properly, or anything like that, take her to the vet ASAP! I hope this helped, I just want to make sure little silly stays healthy and happy! good luck, I'll be thinking about her tomarrow!

Hi nutcracker.

Make sure that she is both eating and pooping, is the big thing. Also, I've heard people say that you should try to leave them on a smooth surface for the first couple of days (like a piece of newspaper rather then wood shavings or anything that might irritate her stitches). Make sure the vet gives you the pain reliver. The vet who did mine didn't give me any, and so my bunny was in so much pain she couldn't eat until I went back and got some.

good luck!

HI

When Athena was spayed she was a little quiet the next day but apart from that she ate and went to the toilet as normal so just keep an eye on Silly as the others have said. I would definately recommend sending a packed lunch as Athena loved her pellets so I knew it would be the best thing to tempt her as soon as she was awake.

I kept her on hay/newspaper after the op and she was fine, they usually tell you to keep her somewhere quiet so she doesn't run around the first day but then after that she should be alright to go out in her run etc. You usually have to wait a few weeks for her to heal before introducing any new bunnies and check her stitches everyday to ensure the wound is clean and healing nicely.

As everyone else has said it is important rabbits eat right up until the op - sometimes the reception staff say no food but this only applies to cats and dogs as they can vomit but rabbits can't.

Wishing Silly good luck!!

Caz

YAY sillys op went A OK =D shes like soo "high" lmfao she is soo mellow i love her like this im gonna go back to the vet and get more of those stuff =P Shes all good she drank a lil right when she got in her cage...gave her some apple...shes sleeping in her bed now....and ya its good shes happy =D

oooo Noooooo its been 24 hrs and shes still not eating this seems really bad she wont even take her FAV treat...i believe shes drinking a lil water but im not sure!

Ok do you have any fresh grass to offer - I have found this is the best thing to tempt her. Has she done any poos?

Take her to the vets asap - she will need a gut stimulant and possibly syringe feeding with a recovery formula!

Caz

aaww i hope Silly is ok.. if she still isnt eating/pooping she probably needs to see the vet as Caz says.. let us know how she's doing.. fingers crossed

This is just what happened to my bun. You should take her to the vet and get a gut stimulant and pain reliever to give her over the next couple days.

I hope she's okay!

ok well this morning i caught her eating a lot so thats good...she had diarrhea on the carpet ugh and small fresh poops good for her (not for me) Also shes very aggravated when i tried changing her food she lunged non stop this was worst b4 her surgury. is she going to remain this way? or will it eventually wear off...bc if theres no change then thats 80 bucks down the drain =P

Don't worry it will take a while for the hormones to go down.

I am sure with a bit of gentle reassurance and plenty of love she will calm down now.

I am glad she is feeling better!

Caz

Back