• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

getting rid of knots

touie

Wise Old Thumper
whats the best way of getting rid of or preventing knotty bits??? I have a metal cushioned brush and a comb but neither prevent knots. Treacle's just run past me with tufts hanging out! Usually I clip them off but I need someone else here to hold him for that! :?

he is a satin so his furs not really long but it is really really fine. I have another satin whos fur seems a little thicker and he never gets any knots! My comb has metal teeth close together but it doesnt do anything for the knots! :? I was wondering whether anyone uses a bristle brush?

hmmmm i could try pming a satin breeder and ask them what they use.. will get back to u if i find anything out.

Just got a reply from someone who breeds Satins for show. She said she just uses a flea comb regularly to stop the fur from curling.

Where did u get Treacle from? just noticed the satin breeder i msgd lives in hampshire as well :shock: Im not sure who else breeds satins to ask for you but will have a look for someone and see if they do anything else.

If you don’t mind your Rabbit clipped I would say cutting any knotty bits out is your best bet. Much less stress for a Rabbit then combing them out. I do this with my angora Ted.

Use rounded scissors.

Keeping you bun on Vet bed may also help to keep the coat in good condition. Feed hay in a rack or basket so it doesn’t get in the coat.

Louse

I have a rescue angora/wooly mix.I clip his coat and brush it with a stiff human hair brush.I have problems with his feet tho- does anyone elses bun have matted soles to their feet and if so does it cause problems? I think my bun who is a black/white buck 2yrs old and called Fluff has sore feet because the soles get matted lumps on them which may hurt.At the moment he is booked in to see my vet because he is not walking/hopping properly on his back foot and I think it may be because of a 'thickmatt' He went last week and she thought he may have a strained ligament in his knee joint and didn't look anywhere else.He has been on 'hutch rest' for a week because of this and on metecam for any pain. I now don't really think this is the problem. So we'll see what happens this tuesday when he goes back.
Any one any advice ? :?

I tend to keep Ted's feet timmed fairly short to stop and mats building up. Its easier to brush that way. I also keep him on an extra thick bed to stop him getting sore feet/hock's as Angora's are prone to this.

Louise

Back