• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New baby

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
I took on a young guinea pig after the local corn stores put her in with the males over Christmas.

She gave birth to one beautiful little baby last night. Here he is only a couple of hours old:
hoursold.jpg

and this morning:
lessthanaday.jpg

and with his mummy
mummyandbaby.jpg

and with his Uncle Murphy, who will probably remain his companion after he is too old to stay with Mum.
withunclemurphy.jpg

They are such amazing little things. He has already managed to jump out of the litter tray and has had a nibble of hay. Mum (Harriet) is doing well, and seems happier now she doesn't have him kicking her in the ribs. She is only 3-4 months old herself, she needs to get this mothering over with and go back to play. He can only stay with her for a couple of weeks anyway as he could get her pregnant by the time he is 3 weeks old!

I think I will call him Finn as I think it means red in Irish and he is such a gorgeous red colour and he will be living with Murphy.

Awww Louise - he is just lovely and what a beautiful glossy coat - what a good lookin little man he is going grow up to be - and Finn just sooo suits him - Welcome to the world little boy :D :D -

PS - What age do they become vocal Louise - I can send you some Ear Defenders by post should you need them :lol: :lol:

Thanks Lany :)

He is already talking away, but just soft little clucks matching the noises Hatty is making. No doubt he will soon learn the noise of plastic bags, and if he stays in the kitchen the sound of the fridge opening. Before I got the shed that used to set them all off in the winter - what a chorus :shock: And it made me feel guilty when I was getting myself something, not them :oops:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW bless, I want to pinch him from you!! I think its amazing that guineas can run around from birth eating and fully furred and eyes opened!! They are total little miniature adults arnt they, like a little "mini-me"!! :lol: He is gorgeous!! :D

louise sorry to change the subject but i will be quick, is strawberry an NZ?? i keep admiring that buns hes gorgeous (i think i heard you say he was a buck?)

Eve x

omg the little baby is like my mom's guinea pig - she is an agoutie :D aren't they beautiful and so amazing how they are perfectly formed with fur and all - just like little hamsters but guinea pigs ahhhh I will never forget when our guinea had theor babies :love:

wow :shock: cute or what :D :D how many babies do gineau pigs usually have :?: he looks quite big although pictures can be very deceptive :? :?

Baby guineapigs are soo cute. Its amazing they pop out looking just like miniture adult piggies and start eating solids from the start :D Watching them follow their mum around is sooo sweet!

I think around two babies is average, they're quite big when they are born and have all their fur and eyes open.

Tam

bunnylove said:
louise sorry to change the subject but i will be quick, is strawberry an NZ?? i keep admiring that buns hes gorgeous (i think i heard you say he was a buck?)

Eve x

I'm fairly sure he is a New Zealand. I was told he was a British Giant before I had him, but I don't think so, his ears aren't big enough. Then his being a Flemish Giant was mentioned, but again that doesn't quite fit. He looks New Zealand to me, and the ear proportion seems right for one. He was between 4 and 5 kg when I first had him as weighed by the vet when he was neutered, but I think he is heavier now. So he is a giant, but not a particularly big giant - which again fits with his being a NZ. He also has a very fluffy coat (which really needs grooming but he won't let me :roll: ) which is again a NZ trait. Sorry this is a bit wooly (like him :lol: ).

Guineas usually have between 2 and 4 babies, so Hatty Pig did well only to have one. He looks big because she is only a baby herself, and Murphy is my smallest adult pig, and because piggies are so mature at birth.

He gets more active by the minute, and more talkative, especially as she keeps stepping on him :roll: But then he is under her feet all the time :lol:

hi louise

he reminds me of bertie, but then when you look at your avitar he looks to big, but pictures can be decevining cant they. he is gorgeous!!!!

i know what you mean about nz temperment though, bertie is very shy, but doesnt like being touched or caught, so its rugby tackle when i need to cut his nails! :lol:

heres bertie

bertie1.jpg

It is really difficult to tell size from pics without a reference. I would say that Strawberry is bigger than Bertie, but not so much as not to be the same breed. I think he is a bit chunkier - his head is massive - about the same size as my little Nethie Daisy :shock: But he isn't as big as Zeus by a fair way. It really doesn't matter though, except that he is big enough to say No very firmly and there not to be too much I can do about it :roll: I simply can not hold on to him when he is determined to get down. Then he stomps off under the table and won't come back even for food :? He is driving me mad as he has all these tufts of fur sticking out just asking to be pulled out. He seems to know I am eyeing them and hops under the table or out the door as soon as I look at him. :roll: He is also covered with brown streaks where he has been working in his diggings - he is no where near as clean and sparkly as Bertie. Clover grooms him, but there is so much of him, she doesn't make much impact :lol:

i will have to get a picture of him next to one of the other rabbits, which will be hard as he doesnt like other rabbits :shock: :shock: :roll:

have you got any pictures of strawberry in all his glory louise???

he looks like a very handsome fella, i do love big buns!!

There are a number of pics of him in this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2472

and here is a never before published pic of him actually looking shiny white :shock:
cloverandstrawberry.jpg

and another

beautifulboy.jpg

Clover is a big girl herself, quite a bit bigger than any of the others, even Isadora.

I'll try and get some pics of their Earthworks tomorrow. They are becoming quite substantial. One day I shall go out the back door and fall down a pit.

doorkeeper said:
There are a number of pics of him in this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2472

and here is a never before published pic of him actually looking shiny white :shock:
cloverandstrawberry.jpg

and another

beautifulboy.jpg

oh i want him!!!! hes stunning but doesnt look that big there, so hard to tell from photos

Eve xx

Clover is a big girl herself, quite a bit bigger than any of the others, even Isadora.

I'll try and get some pics of their Earthworks tomorrow. They are becoming quite substantial. One day I shall go out the back door and fall down a pit.

Back