• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bleeding Bunny?

nbristow

New Kit
I have a three year old neutered male rabbit. The other day i let him out to play came back minutes later to find blood on the floor (quite a bit for a bunny). I took him very promptley to the vets (panicking like mad) the vet checked him over and found not cuts etc, nose , bottom, mouth, ears everything fine. Tempreture perfect. (He was very happy, still bouncing around, eating, toilet normal). The vet said that he had had two cases of this before and he had never found out what the problem was, and there where never are problems with the bunnies after.
My bunny (socks by the way!) is still completley happy, but i am still very puzzled!

Can any one help and shed any light on this???

Thank you, Naomi & Socks

sorry, I cant help with deciding the problem but I sure hope he is ok! When you took him to the vet, did she check for diseases or internal problems as well as external? I'm sorry that I'm not much help but I dont know much about rabbit medical issues! All I can to is hope that he is ok, and please post if you figure out what it is! good luck!

Are you certain it was blood? Sometimes rabbits can have red wee that can resemble blood. Usually it seems related to something they have eaten like a particular vegetable.

Tam

oh yes, I totally forgot about that! I had that happen with my charlie and I got really worried. Then about a week later, I bought a new rabbit book that had a huge list of illnesses in it. I was reading through it and there was something that was called "red pigment" or something. I read that a certain color pigment in a fruit or veggie can turn the bunny's wee red. I was very releived after reading that and found out that it was strawberries that did it to my poor little charlie! Hope that helped a little!!!

Niamh lost her dew claw whilst running about on the carpet and that bled like mad though she was still hopping about and not really bothered about it, so maybe your bun could have broken a claw???

We came into the kitchen one morning to find lots of spots of blood on the tiles. Investigated Cassidy and Monopoly, our two chief escape artists and found that one of Cassy's nails was on the stumpy side. We figure she must have caught it when she was scaling the side of the run. Anyhoo, the bleeding had already stopped by then and she was hopping about fine and in no obvious pain.

I'd have a look at your bunny's feet and see if any of his claws are noticeably shorter than the others. It's unlikely you'll see any blood on the foot. They heal up quick and they grow back fine.

thanks for the advice- when it happened i did check all of his claws etc and thay where all still intact, normal length and no signs of blood. He also had not eaten anything that would give him red pigment wee. The vet did feel around to make sure his tummy and everything was ok- he gave him a perfectley clean bill of health!!

:?

In that case, they have quite thin skin and they heal fast. Maybe he caught himself on something, got a small cut which bled and was all sealed over when you got him to the vet. They have such thick fur that it's hard enough to find scars when you know where they are.

SPG got a cut on her ear. Lots of blood, but the cut itself was tiny. Five minutes later there was no sign of it.

Mine broke a claw once, but it made just a little smeary trail of blood. If it was a big pool of "blood," I bet that it was pee. My bunny's pee is always red, but sometimes it was very deep red, and it looks like blood. It doesn't seem to correspond with any particular food, necesarily, either, although I've heard people say that lettuce and carrots will both do it...

Back