• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Casper to drink

julia

New Kit
Casper never seems to drink any water. A few weeks ago he had a problem with a blocked bladder and the vet had to squeeze it to empty it. I was advised to watch his calcium intake and get him to drink more. I have been giving him veg low in calcium and spraying the veg with a water spray. I supply both a drip feeder and a water bowl which I change frequently but I NEVER see him drink. Should I be concerned and if so how do I get more fluid into him?

Julia

Adele has experience with this she adds some pure, unsweetened apple juice to rabbits' water and this seems to encourage drinking.

I assume you are now avoiding all cabbage/kale type veggies.

Good luck!

Caz

Agree with everyone else, it was Adele who mentioned the unsweetened apple juice in their water to promote drinking :wink: :D I think it was a teaspoon of apple juice but I am sure Adele would confirm this if you asked her :wink: :D

Thanks for your advice :) , I've got some apple juice and am trying this - no luck so far but Casper is always suspicious of new things so I'll wait a few days :roll:

Julia

Hi Julie

some bunnies prefer to drink from a bowl, so if you are using a bottle, I would put a bowl of water down as well :wink: :)

Some bunnies get alot of fluid intake from what they eat, does your bun have a lot of veg or plenty of access to the garden plants and grass :?:

Unsweetened apple juice? Sounds strange but I am willing to try. My 3 dont seem to drink much, they do a little but not vast quantities.

I tried bowl and bottle, bottle is more successful as the bowl quite often got tipped up and various items placed in it

Casper gets a bowl of veg every morning which I wash and spray with water, I'm including things like cucumber whcih is 'juicy'.
I have a metal bowl attached to the cage wall which I'm putting the drink in (and Casper is still ignoring!) :x

Back