• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smokey's off to the vets tonight!!!

haffyj

Mama Doe
i have brought smokey's vets appointment forward because i keep catching him nearly getting out his run area and into the main garden with the girls!!!! :shock: So in stead of waiting another week i decided to bring it forward just in case he manages to get in with the girls (I don't know how he does it!!!)

i know that with males it is easier for them to get over the op but is there anything i need to look out for? do i have to keep inside for the night? or can he go into hutch? i can leave him with me in my bedroom afterwards till he heals, how long is it till he is no longer fertile? Sorry for so many questions!!!! i think i am going to try and bond him with Sugar (She has recently been nipping Crystal and causing her alot of stress which i don't think she deserves it so she is on her for the time being Sugar is next in line for her op but i think smokey should go first in case of unwanted litters) so i would like to know how long it is till it is possible i can start the bonding process,

Sugar normally sits by smokey hutch and rolls around and they lick each other between the bars, so i am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be to bad!!!

Thanks guys

haffyj said:
i have brought smokey's vets appointment forward because i keep catching him nearly getting out his run area and into the main garden with the girls!!!! :shock: So in stead of waiting another week i decided to bring it forward just in case he manages to get in with the girls (I don't know how he does it!!!)

i know that with males it is easier for them to get over the op but is there anything i need to look out for? do i have to keep inside for the night? or can he go into hutch? i can leave him with me in my bedroom afterwards till he heals, how long is it till he is no longer fertile? Sorry for so many questions!!!! i think i am going to try and bond him with Sugar (She has recently been nipping Crystal and causing her alot of stress which i don't think she deserves it so she is on her for the time being Sugar is next in line for her op but i think smokey should go first in case of unwanted litters) so i would like to know how long it is till it is possible i can start the bonding process,

Sugar normally sits by smokey hutch and rolls around and they lick each other between the bars, so i am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be to bad!!!

Thanks guys
Hiya
He will need to stay indoors on the night he has his op as they cant regulate there body tempreture after an op,ask your vet to give him internal stiches claude was the only one who had stiches on the outside and he pulled them out all the girls have had internal ones and healed much quicker
They can stay fertile for up to six weeks after the op so he will have to stay away from the girls

thank you i will ask for the internal ones!!!

:D i am scared incase he does pull them out!!!! :shock:

he is a cheeky monkey trying to get in there with the girls!!!

Claude had pulled his out at the vets they hadnt even noticed :x
I was so angry he had to got straight back in and be re stiched he stayed in over night and when i collected him he was wearing one of those lampshade collars he got a very serious infection that lasted about a month

They recover really quickly.. simba was his normal self by the morning. He had intradermal stitches (inside ones) I didnt ask but they said that is what they always do as rabbits pull them out so probably worth asking when u take him in.
He will be back home before you know it :wink:

My vets now prefer glue so don't be suprised if there are no stitches :lol:. That didn't work for Cosmos though as he ate the glue - twice!! After that the vet got me to bath them twice daily in salt water (watch the guys on the forum wince ;) ) and they healed up fine leaving them open. It depends on how that particular vet is comfortable doing the op: the other vet that did Zeus (at the same practice) stitched his internally and he got an infection because of licking it :roll: !

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw.

Caz

oh I am glad to read all this as my bunny will be going for his op within the next couple of weeks and I really didn't want him to be poorly.....but I have heard that in most cases males recover from the op a lot quicker than the females.

although saying that poor Claude's post-op situation doesn't sound good poor Claude pulling out his stitches and the vet not noticing no wonder you were angry Bluebunny!

Back