• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur

maryflynn

Warren Scout
So sorry to bring this to everyones attention but i just felt physically sick when i saw this. I typed rabbits into ebay looking for rabbit stuff n came up with a rabbit fur coat.. same colouring as Mitsy, this makes me so sad!

Why on earth is this still happening, cant people realise fur is murder, dont give us any **** about it being a 'by product', how can this be stopped! Faux is so good nowadays i hate the thought of it so much, below is the link if u even want to see:

Oh.. and the lucky owner gets it for only £15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11570&item=5369183669&rd=1

I know its so horrible. Those things come up every time I go searching for anything rabbit related. Its so upsetting :cry: :cry:

This will upset you, but one of my friends went to a wedding last year and the bride wore a fur sable on top of her dress...it was rabbit. Am so glad I don't know her and wasn't there at the wedding :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

maryflynn said:
So sorry to bring this to everyones attention but i just felt physically sick when i saw this. I typed rabbits into ebay looking for rabbit stuff n came up with a rabbit fur coat.. same colouring as Mitsy, this makes me so sad!

Why on earth is this still happening, cant people realise fur is murder, dont give us any **** about it being a 'by product', how can this be stopped! Faux is so good nowadays i hate the thought of it so much, below is the link if u even want to see:

Oh.. and the lucky owner gets it for only £15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11570&item=5369183669&rd=1

Its not just animal fur you need to worry about its Silk as well. The Silk worms are force fed until they’re huge and then boiled alive to get the silk. In my book this is just as bad as killing animals for there fur if not worse.

What about leather? If your campaigning against animal fur you need to include silk and leather as animals are killed too give us these materials.

Louise

What about peace silk, ive read this is much better. Where can this be found in the shops?

What i would like to raise a debate about is the limitations we have as regards to fur and animal products in total such as silk, leather etc. I am strongly against fur but ellepotter raises a good point about things like leather.... i wear leather shoes n consider myself an animal lover.

I tell myself that as a meat eater the leather in my shoes would be from the cow that died for the meat and whilst i am against this in other animals for some reason i tolerate it in cows.. im confused as to why though... i like cows... but believe that some animals can be used for humans in a humane and reasonable way, ie. for food n leather as was done before time etc but not for stoles and gillets and d&g boots, this may be a hypocritical opinion but im not saying i strongly believe this, just am intriged as to what u all think...........

I refuse to buy Vogue because of their pro-fur status. It makes me want to skin them and see how they feel.
I now won't watch Dead Famous on Living tv because Gail Porter wears Mukkluk boots... I didn't buy Destiny's Child's newest album because Beyonce Knowles has them... as for J-Lo - even if her music was good I wouldn't add anything to her millions because of the amount of fur she wears.
I hate Wayne Rooney also for providing his stupid, and equally as hateful, girlfriend with the money to spend the amount she does on fur products.
I also hate the smell of leather/suede when it gets wet and I don't like the feel of suede, so I don't buy things which are made of it.

maryflynn said:
What about peace silk, ive read this is much better. Where can this be found in the shops?

What i would like to raise a debate about is the limitations we have as regards to fur and animal products in total such as silk, leather etc. I am strongly against fur but ellepotter raises a good point about things like leather.... i wear leather shoes n consider myself an animal lover.

I tell myself that as a meat eater the leather in my shoes would be from the cow that died for the meat and whilst i am against this in other animals for some reason i tolerate it in cows.. im confused as to why though... i like cows... but believe that some animals can be used for humans in a humane and reasonable way, ie. for food n leather as was done before time etc but not for stoles and gillets and d&g boots, this may be a hypocritical opinion but im not saying i strongly believe this, just am intriged as to what u all think...........

I don’t mean to cause offence put I think you are being hypocritical.

You start a post saying killing Rabbit's/animal's for there Fur is disgusting (which it is) but you then say you wear leather shoes/eat meat. Cows and other animals have had to die to provide you with leather and meat.

Both Rabbit's and Cow's are killed for their meat value as well as their fur/leather value.

Why is killing Rabbit's for there fur any different from killing other animal's to provide you with leather and meat?

The way you write it sounds like you believe Rabbit’s deserve better then Cow's. Every living animal has a right to live and have a good quality of life. Just because we keep Rabbit's as pet’s doesn’t mean they deserve any better then a Cow or a Rat.

Louise

I do not know much about Peace Silk. But whatever way you look at these animals are still kept and bred for our use.

Louise

Im not going to take offence because if u read my post fully i say i know my thinkin is hypocritical in essence, but my question is because i know many others are exactly the same as me, i.e hate animal cruelty n would never wear fur but do eat meat n own leather shoes. I am just posting this thro interest to see what the general consensus is, i have no problem with taking critcism or people in agreement with me i just wanted to find out everyones opinion.

However there does seem to be one very clear opinion likes urs of the all or nothing, which i find confusing. I do have a big digust for fur and have seen the way the animals are kept but, yes, i eat meat. Should this stop me from caring though, i dont think so.

It was only after posting my original post about the fur coat that got me thinking more broadly after ellepotter comment about leather n silkworms, this is why i replied, thro interest and wanting more facts

Im really not going to take offence at being deemed hypocritical, i hate the fact that i might be but neither am i goin to start a argumentative post so please only constructive comments :D

fur

I have given a lot of thought to this subject & I think the reason we find rabbit fur so objectionable ( and other fur) is the conditions that these animals are kept in, those who are bred on fur farms are kept in atrocious conditions, all they can expect at the end of their short pain racked lives is an eloctrode either placed in their mouths of in the anus & death....those who are trapped from the wild suffer even more...sometimes left in the trap for days before the trapper returns to kill them, their only chance of escape is to chew of their own limbs & all this just to make some spoiled rich ***** a nice coat wereas cows do have a reasonable life hopefully grazing in a field, as people will always eat meat ( I am a vegetarian) then I do view leather as a by-product...I think that its the way that "fur" animals are kept , bred, trapped that is so abhorrant to most animal lovers.

Having read the posts I know that is is really upsetting to see fur coats but I also feel that while it is reasonable to find these things objectionable then I also think that by taking that stance you should also refrain from wearing leather goods too.

I suppose you could then go on to not eating meat etc or even to wearuing most beauty products as the majority of them contain lanolin (from sheep).

An interesting thought 'though.

lol Pam

The only way to live your life as harmlessly as possible is by not eating, wearing or using any animal products at all!

Each person sets their own personal level, but it isn't true to say that leather is simply a by-product of the meat industry. It brings in a lot of money and supports the industry. In any case, if someone doesn't eat meat, for ethical reasons, I can't understand why they would be happy to wear bits of animal skin on their feet? When I was vegetarian I didn't wear leather...

I have been vegan for many years now, and do not use anything that originated from an animal, including wool. By the way, it is a little known fact that a large proportion of lambswool comes from the slaughterhouse floor :cry:

On the subject of cows - no, they don't have a nice life at all. Dairy cows are given drugs to make them produce 10 times the normal milk yield, causing them to suffer from mastitis and laminitis. They endure one pregnancy after another, only to have their calves cruelly taken from them within 3 days of giving birth :cry: There is a very strong bond between cow and calf and the separation is very stressful. A cow's natural lifespan is around 20 years, but the average farmed cow is slaughtered between 3-5 years of age, too ill and worn out to be of further 'use' :(

All animals feel pain and fear. I don't know why people only have sympathy for certain species and not others.

This is a very interesting topic,

I too wear leather shoes for work (I wear the same pair daily I have worn them for the last three years and they are very worn), I wear synthetic shoes for leisure. I am a veggie, but does this make me care any less about cows because I've done this?

The reason for wearing leather at work is because I don't find the pretend leather suitable, my feet stink in them and sweated so bad I got athletes foot. Also I do need the professional look as my job just requires it and plastic shoes just don't cut it. With fur however there is no necessity to wear it, imitation are just as good, it's a fashion statement it's not like we need a fur coat. If leather look alike stuff was freely available on the market, without the foot smelling effect, or foot slipping (I've trip so many times in plastic shoes, because of the bulid up of sweat), I am sure a lot of people would use that instead.

Tree said:
I don't find the pretend leather suitable, my feet stink in them and sweated so bad I got athletes foot...(I've trip so many times in plastic shoes, because of the bulid up of sweat),

Poor Birdiebun- she has to sit next to you ;) :lol: !!

Only kidding! :p

Caz

Caz said:
Tree said:
I don't find the pretend leather suitable, my feet stink in them and sweated so bad I got athletes foot...(I've trip so many times in plastic shoes, because of the bulid up of sweat),

Poor Birdiebun- she has to sit next to you ;) :lol: !!

Only kidding! :p

Caz

:lol: :lol:

BirdieBun said:
yeah and god do they stink - even whilst wearing leather shoes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oooh you'd better watch out she might throw a stapler at you!!

Caz :lol:

Back