• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Other ways you can help Ratty Haven Rodent Rescue

Hiya all,

As many of you know Ratty Haven is now much more than a hobby or back room operation, and the center has grown from strength to strength over the past 9 months. We now have over 100 animals here at the center looking for new homes.

Although there are grand ideas for the future, Rome wasn't built in a day and we all have to start some where. Ratty Haven is currently in the process of registering as a charity and we hope to have a charity number by June 2005.

My small back garden is now a fully operational rescue center, with a 6'x10' shed which is heated and insulated for all the rats and small furies. We also have many rabbits hutches and runs to accommodate as many rabbits as we comfortably can.

Obviously finding homes for the animals at the center is vitally important not only for that animal but it allows the center to take in other animals which desperately need our help.

Although there are many centers all around the UK which cater for dogs and cats, many of these centers only have very limited space to take in rodents and many don't take any at all. The need for centers to solely take rodents is huge and I work very closely with Bright Eyes Small Animal Rescue in Plymouth, with over 90 rabbits between us, we are still receiving phone calls on a daily basis from the public regarding strays and people wishing to rehouse their unwanted pet rabbit.

For all the people who have contacted me wishing they could help by rehoming a rodent but do not have the space to do so, this is for you. It is also for anyone who would like to support the work of Ratty Haven. I aim to be much more than just a rescue center as I strongly believe that we need to tackle the root of the problem. Many problems which we encounter is the result of pet shops making mistakes. We need to educated people, pet shops and the government about just how huge the problem with unwanted rodents specially rabbits is.

So anyway back to how you can all help.

Ratty Haven Receives no outside funding and completely relies on donations to keep the center running. We have a few fundraising ideas which you can help us with.

You can sponsor a cage at Ratty Haven, which has been mentioned on this forum before. Sponsorship runs for 6 months@ £12.00 or a full 12 months as £20.00. Sponsors receive news letters updating you will all the news at the center. You also receive cards from the residents of your sponsored cage. If any one is interested in sponsoring a cage at the center please PM me your full address and I will send you a form. You can sponsor rat cages, rabbit hutches and hamster cages.

I have also had a few people contact me who would like to give money to the center and receive nothing in return. So I have now launched the Friends of Ratty Haven Appeal. We are asking people to donated £1 a month to Ratty Haven, yes only £1.00, via a standing order into Ratty Haven's account. This is only a very small amount of money to one person but if 100 people donated this simple £1, it would give Ratty Haven £100 per month to help towards the costs of feed, bedding, vets bills, neutering costs, publicity, printing, postage and insurance.

There are also other things you can do to help.

We are hoping to launch the TLC Appeal over the next few months, this appeal is designed to help bring awareness to the huge amount of unwanted or abandoned rabbits in the UK. You can help us by requesting our posters to be emailed to you and posting them to all the pet shops in your local area. I am also hoping to launch an email campaign over the coming weeks, which will be a short PowerPoint slide show which can be sent to everyone in your address book to help raise awareness about unwanted rabbits. We also have a poem entitled 'From the Heart of Hue' which can be used to highlight the plight of many unwanted rabbits in the UK.

For any of you with animal related web sites you could place a link to Ratty Havens site to help make more people aware of the work we do at the center.

With out the support of people like yourselves Ratty Haven would not be able to operate, so all your support is greatly received. I would also like to thank everyone on this forum who has helped Ratty Haven in the past with donations of money and items to the centre.

Please help us help them.

Thank you all

Blimey Siobhan :shock: well done to you and Marie :thumb: you have come on leaps and bounds :D :D :D I love your new website :thumb: :D :D it is brilliant. I will take a proper look when I get chance :wink: I am so surprised that you still have toffee and many others who I would have thought would have been snapped up :(

I wish you every success for the future, you are both doing a grand job and I am sure all your furries appreciate your love and help :wink: :D As I say, I will peruse your new website when I have chance :wink: :D the bunnies needing a home are a BIG distraction from the written information you have supplied :roll:

That all sounds fantastic - the very best of luck :D

I hope that you get loads of interest and, even more importantl;y, loads of money to help the wonderful work you do with the small furries.

lol Pam, Pie, Mash, Aggie & Twinkle

I had no idea there were so many rodents out there looking for homes. I use to have a pet rat and he was the friendliest pet I have ever had.

You are doing a fantastic job, hope you get all the support you need.

Betty

Back