• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Brunch

Toby

Banned
...Do your rabbits like this stuff? Toby HATES the stuff! I have got him it before and his never eaten it so I have always gotten him other rabbit food. But lately I got him it as it's all i could find at the store I was at (as I didn't go to P@H). I fed him it and he left it and I though "He will eat it when his hungry" and he never did" I am sure he would have rather starved. I have learn that if the food isn't filled with colourful chunky bits....then he wont eat it. He also HATES that Excel stuff as well. Kind of worrying because he rather eat the cheaper food from wilkos then the proper stuff from say Pets at home. Is it just me or do you guys have this problem? I have in the past wasted a lot of money finding him something he does like, and all he ever does eat is the cheaper stuff :? . He loves "Nourish" his bowl ends up empty when i give him this....but again it's stuff I have never heard off.

Emma

When I got Ralf, he HATED excel too, so I gradually added more and more over a period of a few weeks and lessened the rubbish he was on with his old owners, he LOVES it now!! Same with Poppy, she wasnt on excel when I got her, but they are both on it now. :wink:

Hi Kerri C, I wish I could do that with Toby. I have nearly a full bag of Excel and I always try adding it to his diet - but he leaves it. His always been the same....very faddy :? Do you think it would be worth me getting another food bowl and having the seconds bowl with some excel in it? That way he can still eat something. He has straw as well but I can always tell when his not eaten properly.

Hi Emma,

I seriously have exactly the same prob as you, its so annoying. :evil: :evil: Ive posted this before saying that Mitsy only likes the cheaper mixed stuff from the pet shop and only really eats the green flakes n a few othe bits.

I kno its low in fibre in comparison to excel and other brands and have big bags of it much more pricier stuff here barely touched! I have been mixing the two types together now for nearly a week and the poor girl is starving herself, only picking out the stuff she likes n leaving all the excel.

This weaning lark is tough! :roll: :(

Hi Emma,

I seriously have exactly the same prob as you, its so annoying. Ive posted this before saying that Mitsy only likes the cheaper mixed stuff from the pet shop and only really eats the green flakes n a few othe bits.

I kno its low in fibre in comparison to excel and other brands and have big bags of it much more pricier stuff here barely touched! I have been mixing the two types together now for nearly a week and the poor girl is starving herself, only picking out the stuff she likes n leaving all the excel.

This weaning lark is tough!

100% what I do too!! I thought it was only me. Toby eats everything he shouldn't and I am always scratching me head about it. I am going to give him another bowl with Excel in it I think. I don't think its our fault but I just think (like us) that some rabbits have a sweeter tooth then others. We get told not to eat fatty stuff yet I am a sucker for chocolate :lol: But for Toby i do try make up for it with lots of greens and straw - its all i can do really. But hey, If his going to be stubborn then that’s up to him. :?

Emma do you mean Hay or straw ?

I had a rabbit that only ate his straw and the vet said this was no good for him :?

Why ins't straw good for them? Molly has an unlimited supply of hay yet loves to eat the straw I put in for bedding :oops:

Given the choice that was all Dusty would eat and the vet said that it wasn't a good enough diet, don't know why though :?

He eats both but mainly hay at the moment. Toby eats a lot of things that isn't good for him and that is what i am trying to take him off. My boyfriend says that if his had the same diet for 13 years then why change it now. The thing is, I have ALWAYS tried to change his diet but with no luck lol. He must have a strong gutt thats all I can say.

Emma Im along the same line of thinking as you recently, altho i do try n get the betta mix into her if she wont take it then its ultimately up to her. She gets loads of hay n veg so that'll hav to enough fibre for her. She's a very healthy bun n ur obviously doin something right to say he's 13!! I kno she fine cos the vet tells me so n she had a first litter of very healthy 8 kits with no probs whatsoever so i know shes not defficient in anything.. apart from common sense.. can i buy her that?????????

I wont give up adding small bits of the betta stuff to her mix but not gonna starve her in the process anymore

Toby is doing brill, 13 years, what a boy!! :D If you think about it, in the wild, rabbits are designed to eat a low nutrient, pretty poor diet which is why they digest it twice to get the max out of it. Although there are good foods out there, some rabbits just don't like them!! I'd say let him eat what he likes, he is prob getting all the nutrients out of it and as long as he eats lots of hay I wouldn't worry! Pippa is a fussy duckling too, she fills herself up on hay, isn't underweight and looks very healthy so I'm not at all worried about her. All buns are different, I'd go with what he likes, it must be something right as he is a brill age :D

Back