• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White Flakes

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Skip is moulting like mad at the moment but i have noticed alot of white flakes in his fur....it looks just like dandruff :cry:

Is it possible for bunnies to have this or is it something else?

Should i try some shampoo on him?

Any advice welcome!

It sounds like he has mites,they get white flaky skin with mites,you will need to get him treated at the vets

Awwwwww poor bunny, well he has to go to the vets next week anyway for his Myxi jab so i will ask them then.

I only noticed it on the grey bits of him but it really looks like dandruff :?

It doesn't necessarily have to be mites, we had a bun in the other day who had the exact same thing, and no mites were found!!! Best to ask an expert, though!

I'm fostering two Guinea Pig's at the moment and on of them has suspected Mite's. She has gone bald underneath with lots of brown scabby patches. Cheryl is kindly sending me some Ivomec.

Louise

He has no bald patches and doesn't seem to be scratching or anything but it seems to have appeared suddenly. Could over brushing cause this maybe?

If it is not mites it could be a dry skin condition, which is usually related to diet/ how the guts are working.

Please tell me what diet the rabbit is currently on, and then perhaps that may give us some more clues, thanks :)
We have had rabbits with this in the past, and pop a teaspoon of Aloe Vera juice in their drinking water, or syringe a teaspoon direct daily.
This has several positive affects, firstly aids digestion and keeps the guts working well, and also helps general condition and is a tonic for the skin internally.
You can also use Aloe vera gel externally, but the combination of both usually works best.

I would suggest you ask your Vet to check the bunny first of all, just to exclude mites.
Bunnies do not always appear to itch with mites, so that is not the only way you can judge if they have them or not. The Vet may want to do a skin scrape to see what it is under a microscope.

Best wishes and hope you get to the bottom of things very soon :)

Can i buy stuff to treat him myself or should i wait and see if it is DEF mites?

He has unlimited access to hay and i feed him a small amount of Excel twice a day. I try to give him veggies everyday but sometimes they cause him to have the runs so i tend not to give him too much. Is this ok?
Can i just buy Aloe juice from the health shop for him? It sounds like a good thing to give him anyway.

Well the problem is that he is moulting very badly, there is fur flying everywhere and his coat looks really patchy where it is different lengths.

The fur is coming out easily wherever i pull it from!! I keep trying to brush him everyday to try and help.

Yes you can buy Aloe Vera juice from a health shop or even online, we use it quite a lot as a tonic for our bunnies, and everyone comments on their coat condition.
It is good whether your bunny has mites or not, as it will help speed up the skin healing process :) as Val says though you need to treat the mites first and foremost.

Fudge has also got this condition, we've checked for mites but can't see anything, mind you my eye sight is failing badly :roll: :roll: :roll: and as you all know they are rather small.

My Fudge also seems to have this problem but I took him to the vets last week and the vet didnt seem worried about it! :?

Hi

It could be what they call walking dandruff which is caused by a mite but is not always visible to the human eye, can be passed on to other buns so best to get it checked out . One of my buns had it a couple of years ago I think they just gave us a special shampoo to use on him.

Sheffield got this when we first had it. Huge clumps of dandruff. I think it was brought on by the stress of moving home. Anyhoo, despite all these big flakes of dried skin all over his head, the vet couldn't find any mites. She treated him for mites anyway and it all cleared up. It could be that it wasn't mites, and just a stress reaction, but the treatment does no harm to your bunny and it was pretty cheap and just a single injection, so I'd say get him treated for the mites as a precaution and then try the aloe treatment.

when we very first had our 2 guinea's they had a skin condition, it was flaky white bits (similar to our dandruff) but they didn't have mites, we had to bath them for a few weeks with a shampoo and it all cleared up :wink:

Back