• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What wood is poisonous for Rabbits

Look at me I've been on the forum 5 mins and i am already picking your brains!

I have been in contact with a local country estate about logs and tree stumps for the kids and I am wondering what wood/trees are not good for the bunsters.

I have looked on the web but there is such a variety of answers i don't know what to believe.

Help please........pretty please

I asked this myself a few weeks back and found the answer by "asking jeeves"!! I had a walnut branch that I wanted to put in with the buns, and this was fine, together with apple tree's, oak and pecan.

Apparently the ones to avoid were: apricot, cherry, peach, plum, redwood, and cedar and juniper as listed as toxic. Hope this helps a little!! :wink:

Mark said:
Thanks for that :thumb:

What about sycamore, the woodsman at the estate has said i can have as much of that as i want.

I cannot find anything about a sycamore tree Mark, but it says hardwoods are ok, (I think sycamore is a soft wood isnt it??) but dont give them anything that has been "treated" with anything, also if you are not 100% sure it is safe - I wouldnt give them it. If I find anything about a sycamore I will let you know. :wink:

Hi Eve

I use hemp for the kids and get it from Woodgreen. It comes in 48 litre bags ( dont know why they measure it in litres instead of kg's!)
Very tightly packed, lasts 2 - 3 weeks and is £7 per bag. Thats only for the 2 of them though. When the Super Bun and wife turn up I might use that for them or i might use peat trays as thats what he has at Woodgreen.
Has anybody else used Peat trays, are they any good?

Back