• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our story.........well the start at least

We had been thinking of rehoming, we chatted about it, but the garden wasn't ready at the time, funny how quickly you can do things when you need to!
We would regularly visit WoodGreen and stare longingly at the bunnies. We went up there one Sunday, got chatting to the fantastic Marie and Doreen on the Small Animals Section and Hugs and Bun where the first bunnies we were introduced to and we immediately fell in love.
Since then we have decided that having bunnies is a good alternative to having kids (plus they don't want to borrow your car, don't come home drunk and throw up on your carpet and don't want to go to Uni!!).
This is where Sidney Super Bun enters.......
We had been on our weekly visit to the shelter, picking up some supplies and chatting with Marie when she got a call on her radio about a big French Lop that had been brought in, in a real bad state, Marie had to go to attend to him and I felt really sad for him. :cry:
A couple of weeks/visits later, same place, reason and Marie was showing us a family of four that had come in and I asked about the French Lop. She took us to a separate area where we were introduced to Sidney Super Bun. When he had turned up at the shelter he had been over-weight, had very long claws and was badly matted and feeling very unloved. When I saw him I fell for him hook, line and sinker. He's huge, gorgeous and incredibly lovable. :love:
At the moment he is still at the shelter, as he had to lose a lot of weight before he could have the snip, which happened on Monday. I go up there every weekend and spend some time with him, starting the trust building up.
We went up there yesterday to see how the big man is doing and found him crashed out snoring with four tiny ones flying around in the run next door.
Well his house is ready for him, the run or should I say half the garden is being set off for his lord and ladyship (he hasn’t been bonded yet, Marie at Woodgreen is looking for a laydee big enough to not get squished by him).
Hopefully if Sidney and his prospective wife play housie housie then they will be with us just after Easter. :D :D
I have already got plans for having an foster area to take on buns until they have a home to go to and we have a spare room that would be nice and comfy for a couple of house buns. After that I suppose we will have to move to somewhere with more land and rooms as I love them so much and want to be daddy to all of them.
If you would like to see Sidney Super Bun then either copy or click on this link and see him in his gorgeousness - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=2135

Anyway that’s us up to now, I am now off to try and create a signature and avatar.

Hope it hasn’t offended anyone or made me look a big girls blouse :wink: :oops: :wink:

M

Hope it hasn’t offended anyone or made me look a big girls blouse

No and No, my O/H is as dotty about our bunnies as me.

I think any bunny would be very lucky to have you as a Dad.

p.s they may not throw up on your carpet, but sometimes they try to eat it :wink:

Betty

mark i think you are grand, funny enough my o/h was talking about leaving me today (joking off course) but who would want to take on a woman hre two kids and no less than 14 rabbits, so you have restored my faith thank you.

i am so pleased for you, i have been looking at that big man for a while and his story, poor ******, i bet you cant wait until you can have him.

please keep us posted with his progress and the progress of your others.

great stuff

Eve x

Didnt know you were getting that big cutie-pie!! he's lovely - we want LOADS of piccies when he arrives, and none of us think you are a big girls blouse, my Hub used to not like guinea-pigs when I said I was getting one when we moved in together, and now he adores them all!! :D

I am so excited about getting Sidney, i think i have bored everybody to death at work as i can't stop talking about him. Marie at WG has been so good as they are having to look at the girls at Hayden to bond with him and i have been so picky as i dont want a mate that will hassle him all the time bless him. He's had such a horrible start to life and i want the best for him. I think it's going to take a lot of work on the trust side and i have read that French lops/giants can be grumpy and thats without being mistreated. At the moment i get up at 5.30am so that i can spend 30 mins with the kids. Looks like i'm gonna be setting the alarm clock for 5am when he turns up :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's so good being able to talk to you guys about him, knowing you are not going to get bored stupid by it. Lucky I am married really as I dont think bunnies would be a very good chatup line on a friday night do you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark said:
Lucky I am married really as I dont think bunnies would be a very good chatup line on a friday night do you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How wrong you are! When I was single I always told blokes I met that I was in a package with Charlie and Fern, and I'd judge them on how they were with the buns. Steve adores Charlie and Fern. I've never seen anyone sob as much as he did when I handed Fern to him while we were putting her to sleep. I just made me love him more. He still can't even talk about losing Fern. I picked her ashes up yesterday, he wouldn't even look at the box! You've got it right Mark. People will think you're mad but they will love you for it too. :wink: And if people take the micky - invite them over to your house, and take the micky out of them when they're lying on the floor having a chat to Sidney Super Bun. 8)

Bless you, that brought tears to my eyes.
If we win the lottery we are going to rehome all the bunnies that are at the rescue centres.
Doesnt cost anything to dream eh.

awww..he is so cute! I just want to squeez him up and give him tons of hugs and kisses! I'm sure you do too! Well, good luck!!!

Mark said:
I am so excited about getting Sidney, i think i have bored everybody to death at work as i can't stop talking about him. Marie at WG has been so good as they are having to look at the girls at Hayden to bond with him and i have been so picky as i dont want a mate that will hassle him all the time bless him. He's had such a horrible start to life and i want the best for him. I think it's going to take a lot of work on the trust side and i have read that French lops/giants can be grumpy and thats without being mistreated. At the moment i get up at 5.30am so that i can spend 30 mins with the kids. Looks like i'm gonna be setting the alarm clock for 5am when he turns up :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's so good being able to talk to you guys about him, knowing you are not going to get bored stupid by it. Lucky I am married really as I dont think bunnies would be a very good chatup line on a friday night do you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

you will never bore us with anything about bunnies, ask everyone half the girlies on this forum go to work log on and forget to do some work ...........................romy, tree, kerri you know who you are!!!!

but we love it, my o/h pretends he dont love them but i know he does!!!! i have caught him on the floor giving having noserubs with kymber (literaly)

Eve x

bunnylove said:
Mark said:

you will never bore us with anything about bunnies, ask everyone half the girlies on this forum go to work log on and forget to do some work ...........................romy, tree, kerri you know who you are!!!!

but we love it, my o/h pretends he dont love them but i know he does!!!! i have caught him on the floor giving having noserubs with kymber (literaly)

Eve x

Bunnies, bunnies and more bunnies!!! you could never get bored!!! My O/H pretends he doesn't like mine but he is always asking to bring one of them up to his house and i always catch him leetting them out and cuddling them!!!

I log on as soon as i get to work!!! i am on my own today and as i work on reception i suppose i better do some work!!!

Mark said:
I think it's going to take a lot of work on the trust side and i have read that French lops/giants can be grumpy and thats without being mistreated.

I have found that the giants tend to be more friendly and easy going, they don't appear as energetic as smaller rabbits but when Zeus gets going he is a mad thing dashing about and leaping 3ft fences. They are a lot stronger and more difficult to handle so if Zeus is determined not to do something it often takes both of us to hold him.

I think giants always seem that little bit more intelligent as Zeus has a lot of things sussed my other three don't and always knows how to get to a supply of food in an instant even if I have blocked him out the kitchen and the backdoor is only open for a split second as soon as he hears the jangling of the keys he leaps the wood and dashes for the door - like this morning where I nearly had an accident when he ended up practically bowling me over trying to get out!

The only time Zeus gets grumpy is when he is ill and that is the first indication for me when he doesn't approach for a noserub/food and ignores us when we try to stroke him.

I think once Sidney is all healed up and settled in his new home a completely different character will emerge and you will have a hard time keeping up with him :lol: !

Oh and Zeus' wife is a dwarf lop - we searched high and low for a female giant but couldn't find any so we started introducing him to any available females and he picked Athena - they are an odd couple but very much in love!

Caz

P.S. You aren't daft Brendan bought me my first rabbit and even though he grumbles about the others he is besotted and loves giving them a cuddle when he thinks no one is looking!

haffyj said:
bunnylove said:
Mark said:

you will never bore us with anything about bunnies, ask everyone half the girlies on this forum go to work log on and forget to do some work ...........................romy, tree, kerri you know who you are!!!! :lol: :lol:

Eve x

Bunnies, bunnies and more bunnies!!! you could never get bored!!! My O/H pretends he doesn't like mine but he is always asking to bring one of them up to his house and i always catch him leetting them out and cuddling them!!!

I log on as soon as i get to work!!! i am on my own today and as i work on reception i suppose i better do some work!!!

Oh and Zeus' wife is a dwarf lop - we searched high and low for a female giant but couldn't find any so we started introducing him to any available females and he picked Athena - they are an odd couple but very much in love! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: and there was me saying i cant put my extra dwalf lop with bertie (NZ) because of the size difference, i do think bertie is quite big though!

Caz

P.S. You aren't daft Brendan bought me my first rabbit and even though he grumbles about the others he is besotted and loves giving them a cuddle when he thinks no one is looking![/quote] :lol: :lol:

Mark how lovely - looks like this new bunster is well and truely going to
land on his paws and its lovely to read about a fella as passionate about bunsters as you are.

I bet you carn't wait until Easter for your new arrival.

bunnylove said:
Mark said:

Eve x

Dont count me in with this Eve, I am off work on the sick still, following my operation!! (had 6 wks off in total) I am back at work at the end of next week, so wont be here on a daytime anymore except on my days off! :cry: I would literally get the sack if I did anything not "work" related on the computer, not fair!! :cry:

bunnylove said:
i was only joking kerri!!!! :lol: :lol:

I know!! :lol: :lol: Its going to be a nightmare when I go back to work next week, no more fun no-more!! I'll be sat at my desk thinking "Im missing so many bunny subjects, need to get home!!" :cry:

Mark, what a great introduction. We look forward to hearing more about your fluffy gang. Ooooh bet you're getting well excited about your boy, sounds like he's going to a great home :D

excellent story, unfortunately I read your other thread with Sydney Super Bun first, you sound great a proper bunny lover :D

bunnytales said:
Mark how lovely - looks like this new bunster is well and truely going to
land on his paws and its lovely to read about a fella as passionate about bunsters as you are.

I bet you carn't wait until Easter for your new arrival.

I cant stop looking at pictures of him, I am so proud that WG have said they are happy to let us have him. It's going to cost a fair bit to set up the shed and run, but we would give the world for the buns. I am really looking forward to the summer as well when we can spend some more time outside with them. I try to get up at around 5.30 so that i can spend 30 mins with them before i get ready for work. They make me laugh so much when I get the food container out in the morning, they both run round and round my feet like nutters and half the time i have to pour the food across the top of their heads as they wont get out of the way. Sometimes i lay down in their hutch and they come and nuzzle and when they go to the loo when i am in with them, they look at me with the expression "Dad cant you wait outside while I go for a poo".
I didn't realise that you could fall in love with little furry people so easily.

Back