• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

veg daily? poll

veg daily

• daily,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
eeeerrrmmm

I give a carrot chopped into two, a chunk of cucumber (Not always cucumber) and a couple of chunks of apple and some broccoli a day to each rabbit the guineas get a lttle bit more for Vit C,

i normally give the veg in the evening (Dry food in the morning) and what ever is left by morning if any will be thrown but this is normally the skin of apple that is left!!!

I do it daily and some fruit they have

Cabage
spring greens
bit of kale
Tomatoes
carrot
apples
little oranges
celary
They have been having parsley cause it's cheap at the farm at the moment.
broccoli (spelling)
Anything whoops at the asda (on top of the stuff I feed above as an extra).

I was just reading that giving them too much veg is bad, I didn't know that.

I do a caserole dish between two a night plus spring greens and cabbage on the floor.

For bunnies with healthy guts and not prone to gut statis or bloat.

a quarter a carrot a day, or few pieces of fresh herb, or piece of celery.
But no more than this.

For Young rabbits and those with a history of tummy problems.

Hay and small amount of dried food only.
If eating Hay well, then a small handful of fresh herbs several times a week as a treat.

I have observed over 5oo rabbits on different diets over the years, and the diet that appears to keep most problems at bay (teeth, gut problems etc) is as above. :)
We rarely have to take the bunnies to the Vets and they are all elderly in the main :)
We had many problems in the past when we fed greens, fruit etc.

Adele said:

But no more than this.

:shock: Oh My God really? So I am giving my bunnies too much fresh food.

Ok you see in the picture below and you see the little dish in the right hand corner where Marley is standing, every pair of bunnies have a dish like that a night, is that too much?

Pic026a.jpg

Tree said:
Adele said:

But no more than this.

:shock: Oh My God really? So I am giving my bunnies too much fresh food.

me too!!!!!!!!!

[quote="Tree

:shock: Oh My God really? So I am giving my bunnies too much fresh food.[/quote]

It is not for me to judge that Tree, but I would ensure rabbits have more hay than anything else.
The only way of making them eat is hay, is to keep fresh stuff to a minimum. Little and often is okay with healthy bunnies, but ONLY if they are eating a lot of hay. Otherwise I would not feed veggies at all.!.
It depends on the individual rabbit to some extent.

Rabbits may seem fine on a largely vegetable based diet, but the improvement long term on a mainly hay diet is a marked one :)

Daily. I treat the seven bunnies as though they're four pairs (Boscov counts as two little bunnies when we're counting bellies) and then just divvy up what ever we've got into quarters. So one night they'll share a cauliflower, another night they'll share a bag of greens, the next night they'll get a few heads of broccoli between them. So if you work out how big an eighth of a medium sized cauliflower is, that's how much veg I give my bunnies each day. If I'm feeding carrots, then one carrot feeds three bunny bellies.

I feed both the veggies and the pellets in the evening so for the rest of the day they have nothing but hay. I don't like to feed veggies in the morning and the pellets in the evening (or vice versa) as it gives a fussy bunny the chance to avoid eating hay.

Yep I can defo vouch for Adele's diet as Buffs had reocurring Statis probs and since changing her diet - Hey Presto no more probs - the only variance I do give is just a tiny bit of Fresh Fennel (when I can get it) as I've heard this is really good for their tums.

They do have an awfull lot of hay too, A fall size bail lasts me about two weeks, I don't want to cause my bunnies tummy problems. Zippy and Scooby don't have any dried food. I have suspected I 've been over feeding before, my veg bill is about £30 a week (purely for the buns)

I was giving veg daily, but recently one of my buns is leaving a lot of soft cecal pellets in the morning, so I'm going to cut back the amount. I was giving a couple of stalks of cilantro, a half a carrot and maybe a bit of cabbage. One of the buns has no problem, but the other is leaving soft stools around. :roll: :roll:

Oh, and Adele:

Can they get enough vitamins from Hay? I know the fiber and protein etc. are goodin hay, but I worry that it will lead to vitamin dificiencies if I don't give a bit of veg.

[quote="Tree, my veg bill is about £30 a week (purely for the buns)[/quote]

:shock: :shock: :shock: Well just think Tree the bunnies would be fine without all that veg, and you could save all that money to use for more rabbiting mischief instead :wink: new rabbit Des Res perhaps :p :lol:

lauren K. said:
Oh, and Adele:

Can they get enough vitamins from Hay? I know the fiber and protein etc. are goodin hay, but I worry that it will lead to vitamin dificiencies if I don't give a bit of veg.

That is a very good point Lauren and a common concern.
All the nutrients bunnies require should be available from good quality hay.

Our bunnies are very fit, and lively on a hay only diet... :D we do give some bunnies herbs etc(but for a treat not as a vitamin top up necessarily), but most just have hay and a tiny bit of dried food.
Their coats are glossy, tails bushy and they are full of energy :)
I supplement their diet in the Winter with a small handful of oats, and vitamin supplements though just to give them a boost. :)

i must be feeding mine to much as well :oops: , they eat a fair bit of hay but not loads i might have to cut back a bit on the veg!!!!

Adele said:
[quote="Tree, my veg bill is about £30 a week (purely for the buns)

:shock: :shock: :shock: Well just think Tree the bunnies would be fine without all that veg, and you could save all that money to use for more rabbiting mischief instead :wink: new rabbit Des Res perhaps :p :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

bunnytales said:
Yep I can defo vouch for Adele's diet....
Same here.....my two appear to be much the better since I cut out veggies altogether from their diet. They've got good teeth, and always look full of energy. They get a small amount of pellets and the rest is hay and grass. Once we've sussed out what's wrong with Abbie (I'm pretty sure it's not diet related, but just to be on the safe side....), I might introduce veggies as the odd treat, once or twice a week if that. They certainly do now eat a lot more hay than they used to when I fed them veggies.

My vet said that in his view, the ideal diet was a small amount of pellets to encourage them to eat hay, and otherwise just hay, hay, grass and a bit more hay! And that whilst veggies were generally fine for bunnies, they should be viewed in the same way humans view chocolate, beer etc. I assume that doesn't mean when it looks like your bunny has had a bad day, you let your bunny gorge themselves on carrots.... :lol: :lol:

But you'll also find a lot of people have a lot of healthy bunnies feeding them on lots of veggies. That also makes for a pretty powerful argument and is hard to argue against. So I'd say to do whatever you think's best. It's also very dependent on the individual bunny from what I can tell, as to what their stomach can take.

My Rabbit's diet consists of: (per Rabbit)

Morning:

Small handful of pellet's (Allen and Page)
Half a Carrot
1/4 of a slice of rock hard wholemeal bread.

Plenty of hay and fresh grass or freeze dried grass in winter.

Evening:

Small handful of pellets.

Selection of Fruit, Vegetables, Herbs and hand picked plants/leaves/weeds from outside (summer only).

Plenty of Hay and Fresh grass or freeze dried grass in winter.

I've never had a Rabbit with Stasis/bloat or one who has had teeth problems.

I believe the most important thing in a Rabbit's diet is lots and lots of Hay and Grass as this is a Rabbit’s natural diet.

I try and feed several really hard thing's a day to help keep there teeth in check.

I keep fruit to a min.

As treat's I offer branches of trees such as Rowan, Lime and Ash. Rowan is a firm favourite with my lot.

Louise

Back