• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Op care

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
Thora is going in for her op tomorrow (speying) and I was jsut wondering what to do afterwards.

I was going to keep her inside in a fairly small pen as she is normal very active and runs all over so want to keep her enclosed so she doesnt over do it.

I am also planning on keeping her away from Anna and Eamon (he roomies) for a day or 2 jsut so that they dont bother her or her stitches and I can keep an eye on what she eats, how much and make sure she is toileting.

Anything else?

yer purchase some recovery and a syringe just in case, it is only a couple of pounds and will put your mind at rest if she does stop eating, over the weekend

god luck with your bun, i just had four of my rabbits done on the same day last week :shock: stressful.

Smokey goes for his op on the 29th March!!!!

I think just having one done in a day can be stressful let alone FOUR! you must have nerves of steel eve!!!!

I really don't think I could cope with the worry of having four buns done in one day!!! Eve you are def made of steel!!! xxx

yep, plus they had never meet kymber so i had to deal with that too. :shock: but the first night i stayed up all night as bracken would not eat and them because the boys had riped their stitches i was scared they would do it while i was asleep, then as i sorted bracken out with eating again, one of the other boys started not eating..........i would like to say i would not do it again but i have to get my three girls done when they come of age and thats gonna be a nightmare, as when that happens i will have two or poss three house buns as well :shock: :oops: :lol:

That sounds fine Alex - a lot of it you just play by ear. Evie and Ella got straight home after speying a couple of years ago but when Coco was done 3 weeks ago the vets kept her in overnight to keep an eye on her eating. The only probs I had was a wee bit squishy poo for a day or so since I was tempting her with spring greens. Dont be suprised if she's a wee bit slow to eat to begin with.....

As for exercise it wont hurt to keep her a bit contained to keep her calm for a couple of days, but its amazing how quickly they recover; if it wasnt for the shaved bit you wouldnt have realised Coco had to the vets. She also had dissolvable stitches which are very handy.

All the best for you and Thora !

tahra

Thanks for the advice.

Will the vet sell syringes and recovery?

As you say play it by ear, I am sure after a day or so she'll be bouncing off the walls as normal.

Got to go through it again in 2 or 3 months time with Squishie!

Hiya, do you have some Rescue Remedy in , you could give her a drop or two in her drinking water to counteract stress of the operation.
Do you have a heat pad, or water bottle? if you use hot water (not boiling) and wrap the bottle up in that, she may like to snuggle up next to that post op, as bunnies sometimes feel cold afterwards.
It is important to check she is toileting and drinking okay, make sure she has lots of hay, and fibre, not too much dry food, nor greens, as the guts can slow down post op. It is best to avoid dry foods or those that cause gas...keep her diet bland for a few days till things have settled down.
We will be thinking of you and Thora tomorrow, please keep us informed of how she gets on.
Best wishes

Its Thora thats going in for it, Anna has already been done!! :D

I am nipping out tonight so will try and get hold of a hot water bottle, thats a good ideas. I have some rescue rememdy too so will use that.

I am keeping her inside in the front room so I will easily to see what she is up to and monitor her state.

Back