• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor boy bunny

busybee

New Kit
I just wanted some advice,

I have two bunnies, (we discovered that we had a male and female so had the male neutered.) :oops:

They are now about 9 months old and the female has become very frisky. The poor boy bunny (spot) is very upset but they are inseparable and hate being apart.

I'm trying to decide whats the best thing to do as I know having the female bunny 'done' has risks but I don't want to have to separate them (they are house bunnies and I don't have room for another cage). :cry:

Is this 'normal' bunny behaviour or could she just be bored? :?:

I've never kept house bunnies before and although they have the run of the living room most of the time they do have to spend time in a cage as we have small children who try to pick them up when we're not watching.

What can I do?

any help much appreciated or a trip to the vets will be my next stop!

Hi neutering has risk, but no more so then your boy bunny as it's the anasphetic (spelling :roll: ) that has all the risks. The recovery time for a doe is longer. There is a chance that if you do not have your girl buuny done she will be at a higher risk from cancer. The neutering will get rid of many problems a bunny will have, like aggresion, so please don't rule out having her done.

:D

what does she do?
Im afraid i havent had a female (yet) so im not sure whats normal but what does a female do when she's frisky?

Diddeen said:
what does she do?
Im afraid i havent had a female (yet) so im not sure whats normal but what does a female do when she's frisky?

mount, either it doesnt matter :shock:

She chases him round the cage and tries to mount him. Its mainly in the evening that we notice it but she'll carry on for hours. Spot tries to get away from her and in the end we tend to take him (or her) out of the cage for a bit to give him a break.

:shock: :shock: :shock: oh right i'll watch out for that then thanks.
hope you sort your girlie out soon.

Hi there :D

Having her spayed will very likely make relations much easier between the two buns again and it'll also cut out any risk of ovarian cancer which is very high in unbred female rabbits. I know it's a slightly risky op, my vet always gives me the 'it's possible she may not survive the op' lecture when I've had mine done, but as long as your vet's experienced with doing rabbit spay/neuters then I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.
It takes a couple of weeks for her hormones to calm down so don't expect instant change.
I don't know of anyone I've come across who's actually had a young healthy rabbit die or have any real complications from being spayed. Flopsy was done just last week at nine months and the vet discovered she already had cysts growing on her ovaries so I'm really glad she's had the op. She's bounding around as if nothing had happened right now. My other girls have been done too. Main thing is making sure they stay warm after the op and that they eat/drink poo etc as soon as possible after.

ps. aren't house rabbits great :D

It sounds as though her hormones have well and truely kicked in, you may that she is more territorial and aggresive as well as the moutning. She may build a nest in a few weeks time - leave this until she ignores it then remove it.
This is normal behaviour of a female who is ready for babies. Honey used to do exactly the same, she is now spayed and she no longer does it. There is a risk to the operation but there are also risks of not having the operation - mainly, as Tree says, uterine cancer. Honey is less aggressive and no longer has the hormonal strop nor does she do the mounting and nest building - she is still a feisty madam though :lol:

Hiya, having the Doe spayed is an option, and may help her calm down around the Buck. However this is not guaranteed by any means as spaying does not always have this desired affect.
If your Doe is frisky, it could be that if she is mounting the Buck, she is just asserting her dominance over territory, which is fairly normal :)
If she is aggressive, and you wish to take away her risk of getting uterine Cancer, then spaying is a good option.
However there can be problems with spaying apart from the Anaesthetic, including the effect of stress and risk of infection post op. I do know of several young, seemingly heathy Does who died after spaying.
If you go for this option, make sure you find a good Vet who is specifically experienced in spaying bunnies and providing the right after care.

Other options include dotting Lavender Oil in the bunnies environment, but where they cannot get it on their skin :wink: This helps soothe and calm, plus play calming classical music, we have an animal healing CD which has greatly helped frisky (in quotes) bunnies :p :lol:
We also use Pulsatilla for our Does when they are in season, and this really seems to help :)

perhaps you could separate them overnight to give them a bit of time and space to themselves, but allow them to be together all day.
We have found that this calms the bunnies down too, as they are able to relax not being hyped up all the time with a feisty bunny in the midst :shock: :lol: :lol:

Adele said:
I do know of several young, seemingly heathy Does who died after spaying.

Really? I am worried about Scooby, she couldn't be done when Zippy was done because of her weight, I wouold never forgive myself if she died, is the chance of her dying higher becase she has had health problems?

Tree said:
Adele said:
I do know of several young, seemingly heathy Does who died after spaying.

Really? I am worried about Scooby, she couldn't be done when Zippy was done because of her weight, I wouold never forgive myself if she died, is the chance of her dying higher becase she has had health problems?

the vets tree can do bloods, but at my vets it is £50 but they can tell you the overall health of the bun and estimate the chances, but its still not guarentee i suppose!!

eve x

Back