• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely Bunny

BevBunny

Mama Doe
Its been two weeks now since we lost Fern, to start with Charlie (her bonded partner) seemed fine - we made even more fuss of him, we've given him the run of the whole flat (he follows us around everywhere - even sits outside the bathroom and waits for me to come out :shock: ), been in the flat as much as possible, got him more toys etc but in the last few days he's started to look miserable. He's v lethargic and spends ages just sitting in his litter tray which isn't his normal behaviour. He's not ill, he's eating fine, weeing fine etc etc.

So, I am starting to think about a friend for him, but how do I know that will help. Have any of you managed to 're-bond' bunnies. I assume I go about it the same as I did when I introduced him and Fern.

Is it better to do it as soon as possible or leave it a while?

Is it best to get a baby and keep them separate for the first few months until she is neutered (this is what happened with Fern)? or get an older bun?

how do I know he will get on with another bun? I'd be mortified if I had to take her back. (My flat is definitel ynot big enough to have two and keep them separate long term!)

It sounds awful but right now my heart isn't in it cos I miss Fern too much and I feel like I'm replacing her, maybe this will help me feel better though. :(
:roll:

Aggie and Kim were very much a bonded pair - and Aggie was really lost and lonely when Kim passed away.

However when Pie & Mash came up they took to her and now I have a happy threesome :D

The gap between was about a week or so.

Good luck.

lol Pam

When Alfie lost Jasper he spent alot of his time just sitting around. Now with Gypsy he's amazingly active, about they only time he's still is when he's sleeping (next to her) the rest of the time they're always moving around, playing and interacting.

Don't think of it as replacing Fern, I'm sure you know you'll never be able to do that, think of it as making a new friend. I bet you didn't love your first bun and less when you got them a friend :) Your also giving another bun the opportunity to have a brilliant home.

Is there a rescue you could take Charlie to so he could meet some new rabbits and see if there is anyone he likes?

It is difficult, I think most of us have been there :(

Tam

I think by the sounds of things he needs a friend sooner rather than later.

A female neutered bun around his own age.
Would be better for him rather than a baby but at the end of the day that depends on you and him.

I'd contact your nearest rescue and see if he can't go along and visit some young ladies.

Good luck.

If you contact some rescue centres they will do bonding sessions. We do at our branch (its also known as speed dating) :lol: .

What we do is make an appointment for you to bring your bunny along and then take the rabbit into a room and introduce them to other bunnies. Our clinic manger is really good at reading rabbits body language and can usually tell if the rabbits are going to get on or not. We have bonded many rabbits together and in the last two years only 2 rabbits have come back.

Maybe this would be a good way to introduce a new buddy for Charlie

Rspca Medway said:
If you contact some rescue centres they will do bonding sessions. We do at our branch (its also known as speed dating) :lol: .

What we do is make an appointment for you to bring your bunny along and then take the rabbit into a room and introduce them to other bunnies. Our clinic manger is really good at reading rabbits body language and can usually tell if the rabbits are going to get on or not. We have bonded many rabbits together and in the last two years only 2 rabbits have come back.

Maybe this would be a good way to introduce a new buddy for Charlie
Last night I read rngpwelfares post and did a bit of research into local rescues, and coincidentally I chose RSPCA Medway and Animal LifeLine in Sutton to contact. I live in Clapham so Chatham isn't close but lots of good things have been said about RSPCA Medway, and I think I need someones experienced advice. I'll make some appointments. I also found Valentine http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=2136, she's beautiful :) Perhaps a bit young for Charlie, but I'll give Wood Green a call too. Charlies going dating :lol:

Thanks for your advice.

Charlie is looking happier today, perhaps he knows what I'm thinking - or perhaps its cos I'm working at home so he's not on his own! :oops:

I think its the right decision to get Charlie a friend :D When we lost Evie, I watched Ella very carefully - she didnt seem to depressed but just wasnt herself. I think it was more when I felt ready to get someone else......It was probably a couple of months and I was getting her some food at the Local Acorn and Otis was standing up in a pen asking me to take him home ! I did ask about rescues but nobody seemed to know of any in my area at the time - maybe I just didnt ask hard enough. I also asked the RWA for advice as to whether to get a young bun or not but was never answered.... So I just went on instinct brought Otis home and it was love at first sight ( espc on his part ). The speed dating idea sounds brill, all the best for You and Charlie :D

Awww Bless him - your charlie boy has done really well to come through things after the loss of his pal.

There is loads of good tips on here for you already but I think it will be good for Charlie to have a new pal - When Buffy lost Dillon last year I gave her a week or so to grieve and spent loads of time with her but Cagney was the absolute making of her and she perked up straight away - it was as if she had found a new interest in life again - so although the bonding well wore me out (and Adele) - it was well worth it to see them both happy and snuggly.

Hope the dating goes well.

good luck with finding a new pal for your bunny, it must be hard for you............I don't kno whethe you have seen but it looks as though Bunnylove will be homing Valentine, there is a thread called OMG - have a read of it.

good luck again and hope your bun perks up :D :wink:

Back