• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some of my menagerie

kathryn

Young Bun
2005_0306Image0018.jpg

Henry

2005_0306Image0009.jpg

Bun
Just thought i would test this out before adding any more

Technically i suppose that Bun is a wild rabbit but she was hand reared by me so she can't go back into the wild. She is my pride and joy, love all my animals but hand rearing her means that she is extra special to me. She does live with Henry but i can't get a decent picture of them together.

All scrummy babies...Daisy so elegant and Maise so cute! I thought bun was a wild bunny...do you have a story there as I know how difficult they are to rear?

yep there is a story :D . I work at a vets as a trainee vet nurse and a gentleman bought in this tiny bunny saying he had found it being attacked by a cat. I decided to give her a chance even though everyone told me how difficult they are to rear and she is the result. I don't know how old she was when i got her but she still had part of her umbilical cord attached and only weighed 44grams :shock: . It was 10 days from when i got her until she opened her eyes. Love Bun to bits but found it so hard to raise her, she was on four hourly feeds throught the day and night for the first 2 and a half weeks of her life. Did not realise she was a wild bun until her fur grew in, her skin was pink and black. Wish i had found the forum when she was a baby and then would have got so much helpful advice. She gave me a lot of sleepless nights especially when she got bloat and gastric stasis when she was 3 weeks old. Luckily she pulled through and now she is spoilt rotten and bonded with Henry. :D

so all your hard work paid off raising your wild bunny well done, how old is she now? does a wild rabbit behave exactly the same as a domesticated rabbit? i think it is amazing how you have bonded them, as when you see them in the wild they are so nervous :D i know you had her from more or less a newborn bunny but it is amazing, well done you :thumb:

Very good photos Kathryn- is that a standard poodle pup? My hubby has always wanted one! We have always had springers!
Well done for raising wild bun-what patience and commitment.

yes it is a standard poodle pup, hes six months old and an absolute nutter :D . Not my choice of breed but my brother is allergic to dog hair so we had to get a non shedding dog.

Hiya Kathryn, what beautiful photos :)
I especially adore the one of Bun, it is so nice to see that someone else has successfully raised a wild rabbit, we have two here in the Sanctuary, Hazel and Poppy :D

BirdieBun wrote
well done to you too Marlene gosh what superstars so many of you are!!!!

would have been wonderful if it had turned out differently but look at Adele with Hazel and Poppy. Adele gave me great advice when I knew nothing at all...still don't but am learning on here all the time and realise what a great responsibility it all is!!

Hiya Kathyrn - lovely pickies - what a fab looking furry crew you have there.

Looking forward to hearing more of their tales soooooooooooon.

Back