• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buying mixed food seperately

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Mitsy is realy fussy eater, :roll: :roll: after reading posts about burgess n excel i bought her some but she hardly touched it. she much prefers the bagged mix i get from the pet store, thing is she only really eats the green flakes.. are they squashed peas? and does anyone know if u can buy them seperately :)

i feed her lots of fresh hay n veg too

did you gradually wean her on to the excel. if you do it over 10 days she should be eating the excel by then.

I would not buy pea flakes separately (although you can buy them in certain pet shops) as they are not really particularly healthy for a bunny.

Vera

Some rabbits prefer the taste of supreme science, you could try that. If you contact russel they'll send you a test packet. I wouldn't really recommend feeding her the green bits. The mixes are only any good if they eat all the parts otherwise they don't get a balenced diet. Thats why pellets are good cos they stop them selectively picking out bits :)

......and Ive found after contacting Russel and having to get my Mum in Law to get me Science Selective from her local petshop in Anstruther of all places - that Focus DIY stocks it !!! They may be a big chain but Im not aware of them selling livestock so no more P@H at all. Their prices on Hills are pretty good too at least on the big bags.

I used to live in Didcot a few years ago and the Focus there did sell pets. I don't know if they still do, but it was a similar selection to what you find in a P@H. I remember going in there for the first time and being stunned. A run full of bunnies is the last thing you expect to find in a DIY shop.

Mikey came from a Focus DIY store ( long beofre i knoew about rescue bunnies) Dont think the O/H expected to go to a DIY store and come away with a bunny :D

Hi

Pippa is a fussy girl too and I've found the best combination for her is half mixed food and half Allen and Page pellets. She doesn't get much dried food anyway, so this works well for her as she eats it all :) Obv the major part of her diet is hay, which I'm lucky that she loves!!

Nicola

Yeah, you see its tricky cos when i gave her the burgess (i think it was that one) we had a big bag n she was fed on that till it all went so it must hav been over ten days cos she hardly touched it and then i felt guilty for starving her as altho she has hay she only nibbles it n she was livin on veg then. so i gave her her pet shop mix backwhen it had all gone n she went mad.. grunting impatiently when she saw what i was doin n practically knocked me out the way to get at it.

I kno its v.important for them to get a balanced diet n i want her to have one but she is so stubborn its like if she dont like it she'll hardly touch it, just the bare minimum to live.. n i feel bad then :( :(

I knew everyone would say the peas aint great but if its all shes eating anyway..??.. obviously with her veg which she loves n luckily eats alot of diff types.

does anyone else hav this problem? also its annoying cos im buying bags of food n chucking away two thirds of it the.. little madam, shes spoilt n clearly has me wrapped around her little rabbit claw

Will she eat all of the mixed food if there is only a small amount there? That's what I used to do with Pip before I got her on half and half, as that way she has to eat all the mix so is getting all the nutrients.

The reason I haven't transferred Pip all the way is she isn't happy with just pellets, and as she has been on a mix all her life I felt it wasn't fair to take it away completely! She doesn't get much dry food anyway and much prefers her hay so I don't really have a problem there!

Nicola

Focus DIY used to sell animals but stopped a while ago. The one in Gt Yarmouth is closing down and when i went in they had big sacks of selective in the sale, however i didnt bother getting it as it probably would have lasted me a year with only simba to munch it lol

Try the Science selective I've never had a bunny that wont eat it.

Most will start picking it out first.

A rabbit will not starve itself so persevere and it will eat it, Supreme tastes better than excel I had problems with excel but none with science selective and its cheaper.

Its very unlikely a mix will have enough fibre, Ive never seen a high fibre mix.

Back