• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

:A post that some of you may not like (silly question):

Toby

Banned
After doing some reading online, I am interested to know what the life span is between Pure and Cross breed rabbits. Yesterday I did read that a pure breed lived longer then a cross bred is this correct? I always though it was the other way round. I know that cross breed Dogs and cats have been known to outlive the pedigrees is that the same with rabbits? I know that each rabbit breed (pure breeds) have there own life spans - does anyone know what it might be for a cross breed rabbit?

ERRKK! Hope I haven't offended anyone with this posting :shock: just interested to know (if anyone does.)

This is a similar question to that raised by Denny in the in-breeding thread that is currently running. It may be that many of the crossbreeds out there originate either in bunny farms or by accidental breeding. The bunny farmed ones are not to keep the breed and maintain health but for cuteness and year round availability, therefore there may be faults in them that are not removed. The results of accidental breeding could be from siblings which as breeders state in the in-breeding thread should not be done as deformities are more likely to occur in these babies.

Therefore, buns of a standard size which are well bred would probably outlive many mutt buns.

I think the difference with dogs is that there are so many health issues that are intentionally bred into some breeds i.e. pugs, pekes etc. often struggle to breathe as their noses are too short, plus there are many puppy farms that mass produce popular pedigree breeds and therefore may not eliminate problems in that breed. Mongrels do not seem to have this type of health issues.

There used to be a feral cat group that lived in the grounds of where I work - they produced kittens and if these could be caught then they would be rehomed, many to people who worked here. These kittens did have many health problems and were often short lived. The company eventually paid for a spaying/neutering session and these cats have now died out.

Well claudes grandad died last year he was 11 yrs old
I have no idea of miffys parents i saw them but she was from a byb. hopefully because they are fed well and cared for they will live to a ripe old age!!!!!

bluebunny said:
but she was from a byb. hopefully because they are fed well and cared for they will live to a ripe old age!!!!!

byb?? Is that back yard breeder? boil yer bum? bring yer boyfriend?
can't think of any more.....

:lol: :lol:

Towsbuns said:
bluebunny said:
but she was from a byb. hopefully because they are fed well and cared for they will live to a ripe old age!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bluebunny wrote:

As long its not boil yer bun !!!! :shock:

Betty

Maybe there is a difference in Dogs, cats and rabbits then. Defiantly in Dogs I have experienced the cross breeds living longer if we are talking about living until old age (especially the smaller ones). Because of all the different breeds mixed up on the one dog makes them "hardier".

Toby is one big Mutt-Rabbit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Towsbuns said:
bluebunny said:

Oh sorry only just seen this yes i ment a back yard breeder she had loads of pedigree rabbits but just cross bred them all
miffys mum was a new zealand white and her dad was a chin lion head!

When I was at school, I did a whole term on the breeding of dogs, pedigree V cross bred. The outcome that arose there was...
People breed pedigree's with certain characteristics that can make a dogs life difficult, like the breeding of shorter muzzled dogs gave difficult breathing, some had heart strain due to their specified conformation. Therefor crossing the dog limited SOME of these characteristics (if you get what I mean?)

But overall I aint a clue on rabbits?? :? :? :? :roll: :wink:

Back