• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit collars??

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i have bought some cat collars for my buns well them three rew actually because they are the same size i cant tell whos who? and another reason is that one of them had a reaction to vhd, so the vet said that next time if it happens again no would no longer vacinate.

do you think these are a good idea? i have never seen a rabbit with a collar before but as long as i check for space should they be ok?

eve x

YES. Toby wears them when we travel....he has a kitten collar blue in colour. i took the bell off as I do think he liked it. But yes they are a good idea. rabbits go missing too :wink:

One of my rabbits in the past wore a collar with ID on. I made sure it was one with the safty elastic so it would stretch if caught. You'd need to watch that they didn't eat each others collars.

If its mainly for id for vet treatment then microchipping might be a more perminant solution.

Tam

Hi think it would be okay - but would reiterate what Tams said - make sure the collar is elsaticated so that should it get caught on anything your bunny can get his head out :)

Also have periods without the collar so that the fur underneath does not get matted.

lol Pam

Tamsin said:
One of my rabbits in the past wore a collar with ID on. I made sure it was one with the safty elastic so it would stretch if caught. You'd need to watch that they didn't eat each others collars.

If its mainly for id for vet treatment then microchipping might be a more perminant solution.

Tam

its for vet treatment but also so i can recognise them they are all rew 2 boys and one girl, how do i tell the difference?

but the are the elastic ones

Charlie and Fern both wore collars when I first got them - mostly to have id tags on incase they ever got out of the house (I was living in a shared house). They wetre of course the safe ones with elastic bits, never seemed to bother them at all. Then they started chewing each others off so I gave up.

You may as well have a go, just see how they get on.

I now use a harness for Charlie if he goes outside - again just incase he should get out it has my phone number on the ID tag, plus it makes him easier to grab if he decides to do anything naughty!

bunnylove said:
its for vet treatment but also so i can recognise them they are all rew 2 boys and one girl, how do i tell the difference?

Don't some breeders get the ears tattooed? You could get a little skull and crossbones (bunnies love pirates), a carrot, and one of the women that dances when the bunny twitches its ear.

Zeus wore a collar with a tag for 6months until we got Athena, he kept jumping on her ferplast cage (while she was recovering from her spay) and getting the tag caught so we removed it and never ended up putting it back on. We put it on him sometimes for vet visits (it has a matching leash).

It never bothered him and we checked it daily to make sure nothing got caught but we may have to put it back on as recently he has started making a dash for the front door when it is opened.

You have to make sure it is tight enough so when they scratch they don't get their hind leg caught (I saw this happen to a friend's dog) but make sure they can move their neck and eat fine - I made sure I could always get a finger between the collar and his neck but no more.

Caz

I did wonder about this as we have two rabbits you cant tell apart think they would chew them off quickly though.

Back