• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie eye????

Kara

Warren Veteran
Hiya folks

Any ideas please

I noticed yesterday Cookie was squinting slightly and had a watery looking eye so Nath helped me to bathe her eye with warm water, this was late yesterday so did not have time for vets last night, this morning I checked her and her eye lid is shut, we will be bathing it again in a mo - anyhoo snow has been falling and we have been told roads are trecharous (spl!) and shouldn't go out unless we really need to, so any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated untill we can get to the vets......the lid is slightly pinky.

Cheers folks :)

ps eating, drinking, pooing as normal!

Hello you, Is there any white icky stuff around her eye or is it just clear watery stuff still? She could have something in her eye or if theres the white icky stuff then an infection, either way probably best if you can get her to the vets. Keep bathing the eye until you can get her there though.
(will reply to your email soon, I promise)

Angela

Hello Angela

thanks for replying

I have just checked and there are dry white/creamy crusty bits round the lid, so looks like an infection.... hopefully can get to the vets at somepoint today....bloody weather.

Good to *see you* :lol:

Awww silly madam Cookie whats she gone and got an infection for eh??? Must be feeling soory for herself with the arrival of Ickle Ethan and wanting attention :lol: Not that I mean you ignore her!

Angela

Some salt in the water will help - Zeus eye always benefitted from the salt baths but it does sound like a vet trip when it is safe!

Caz

yep it does sound like an infection for poor little Cookie - hope she gets on o.k at the Vets - sounds like you may need your snow boots on gal :wink:

Hi all

Just to let you know, we tried a different vet today (mum in laws vet) and was very pleased and impressed - he took so much time explaining what could be wrong, drew diagrams and spoke to me like another human being - my usual one talks down as if to say 'I am the vet, the one in the know' which I know they are but we know our bunskies right????

Anyhoo I am going to change to that vets as they are cheaper too - always a bonus

As for Cookie she is on Fucithalmic eye drops twice a day and he was a bit worried it could be to do with her teeth (Buggsy also had this problem!) so keep an eye :lol: on her and see how she goes, in the meantime I am cutting her dried food right down and it's hay hay hay for her!

Over and out!

Kara :D

Oooh I was watching the weather this morning wondering if it was ever going to stop snowing so you could Cookie to the vet! Glad you managed to though and found a nicer vets.
There's nothing worse than a vet who is too clinical and talks down to you or ignores the animal. I like to see a vet who speaks to them and snuggles them too :lol:

Angela

Angela - ha ha yeah I know what you mean! it was quite refreshing to be spoken to like I had a little knowledge!

Her eye is improving although it still looks sore, poor girl :shock:

They were so pleased to finally get out for a run yesterday, I had been letting them take turns in the small run in the shed!!! :lol: :?

Plus she has had a clean butt for a week wooo hoooo :lol: she is on hardly any dry and hay hay hay, yay

Ah I'm glad she is on the mend :) Two of mine have eye infections at the mo!! Does she close her eye when you try to put the drops in!!? Both of mine do, naughty buns! Princess has been on it for over a week now and her eye is practically better. Pippa went to the vets on Thur with fine eyes (but wounded foot!) and got her back on Fri and she had a sore eye! So she is on Fucithalmic twice a day too, looks slightly better but not that much. Vets again Fri so hopefully it wil b better by then :)

Nicola

Back