• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

buuny poo help!!!

Hi,

ive just noticed that one of my buns has produced a lump of diareha (cant spell, :lol: ) Im not sure if he has just produced it as the other poo's are normal, however he does have a sticky bum - should i wash this now??
what precautions should i take so he doesnt get it again? i think i might cut down on the veg and just give him a carrot each day.

not sure what to do please help
p.s poo is normal colour, just a bit runny!!

Its okay buns get this a bit. Its just when they produce too much caech (I really can't spell it!!) its just they produce too much of the poos that they are meant to eat back into their system. Give him lots of fresh hay and water and then slowly reintroduce pellets and/or veggies until it settles his tum. xxxxxxxxxx

Ooh meant to say, yes you prob should clean his botty if its got lots sloppy poos on it - otherwise you might get fly strike (don't think its as much of a prob in winter but still a problem nonetheless).

I've never actually had to clean a bunny's bum yet (been very lucky!!) but am sure someone else here will have lots of fab advice on that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Too many pellets rather than too much veg can be the problem. How much pellets are you feeding? Hay is the best way to keep their insides healthy :)

If it not too stuck on a damp cloth should get the worst of it.

Tam

pooh

Thanks

his not eating pellets, he has my super rabbit, grass, hay and some veg, he doesn't get a lot of super rabbit as i like to feed the more natural foods like hay grass and the veg. he has got access to lots of hay and its his fave - could he be eating to much hay??

Hay is fibre - makes their poos more solid like with humans!

Did I just say that :oops: ?

If it is a one off there is nothing to worry about, if they start to do this regularily then you need to look at their diet and reduce pellets and veggies until the cause is found!

Caz :)

There's no thing as too much hay :) He's being a very good boy eating lots of it. It sounds like he has a great diet. They need a max of about 50g of food a day but with the yummy other stuff he's eating he might eat even less.

If its just a one off then I wouldn't worry too much about switching around with his diet. Just if it becomes a more frequent problem. Occationally they'll just accidently squidge it instead of eating.

Tam

aww

his had a bath, bum is lovely and clean now

he was such a good bunny - he just sat in my hand while i washed him :)

thanks for all your help

:love:

Watcha!

Which one of your lovelies was it???

env2photos.jpg

I wrote a bit about this on another thread, but what works for many poop problems are probiotics.

Lactobacillus acidophilus (it's the same bacteria as in yoghurt - but make sure you don't give youghurt or any dairy product as it'll cause more problems than you already have :wink:) - you can get it in powder form in health shops but it might be better to get it from a vet to get the dosage right.

Just add a tiny amount to their water 1 day a week or forthnight ........or every day when poop is soft.

Hope he doesn't get it again.......good luck : :) [/b]

Tamsin said:
Too many pellets rather than too much veg can be the problem. How much pellets are you feeding? Hay is the best way to keep their insides healthy :)

If it not too stuck on a damp cloth should get the worst of it.

Tam

I agree with Tamsin, my Ralf used to get a runny bum quite a lot, and I started lessening the veg and giving him more dry excel (it was before I joined this forum - otherwise I would have asked you experts!), but the vet said this was wrong - I should be giving plenty of hay, cut right back on the dry food, as stuff they would eat in the wild is more important. He also had to have a dental to remove spurs. Touch wood, this advice was brilliant, no baths since the vets visit (just wipes now and then) and he has been eating hay and veg (as he wouldnt touch hay before!!) Hope the little bunster is better soon! :wink:

bums

Hi ya sandy!

jack was the one with the runny poo, seems to be a one off, as his right as rain now, but i thought id better check as his only come off his antibiotics!!
i cant remember what its called but its spelt something like chremellaic - (but with a few more letters) not a clue what that is. he did have a bacterial infection. if any one knows what im on about please let me know what it is. i def no it began with C and ended with LLA im sure!!!

Hi, Missblondebunny

Was it cheyletiella? - caused by a mite - patches of hair loss - bit itchy :?:

Antibiotics commonly used in bunnies are Septrin and Baytril (occasionally penicillin by injection).

I can't think of any antibiotics I have used starting with a C at the moment that are rabbit safe.

Or did you mean the name of the disease/illness - like Conny has suggested mites - however that shouldn't be treated with antibiotics.

Caz

Just found this list with dangerous antibiotics on it:

Source: http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

Name of antibiotic
Effect

Ampicillin
40 to 100% fatal enteritis, dependent on dosage

Amoxicillin
Diarrhea after oral administration.

Cephalexin
Diarrhea after oral administration. Injection of cephalosporin has proven safe.

Clindamycin
50 to 100% fatal enteritis, dependent on dosage

Erythromycin
Diarrhea

Lincomycin
33 to 100% fatal enteritis, dependent on dosage

Minocycline
Reduction of growth rate

Penicillin
Acute and/or chronic enteritis (diarrhea) after oral administration. Injection of cephalosporin has proven safe.

Spectinomycin
Diarrhea

Spiramycin
Nervousness

Tilmicosin
Fatal adverse reaction has been observed. The reaction seems rabbit dependent and it is advised to do a test dose of 5 mg/kg before doubling dosage.

Tylosin
Diarrhea

Vancomycin
Acute toxicity with 100% mortality

It wasn't one of those was it?

Bunny safe ones from here: http://www.willasark.com/rabbittriage.cfm

Some Bunny Safe Antibiotics: Baytril, Bactrim, Dual-cillin (procaine G with Benzathine), Chloramphenicol, Tetracycline, Sulfa-drugs based like Septra or TMS, Cipro, Diprofloxacin, Sulfamethazine, and Amalcacin. Topical: Tetracycline

Or a better table: http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

Caz

P.S. This is copied (spelling mistakes are website's own ;) ) and from american sites so names may be different

Hi, Caz

I thought that it was the disease that began with C. Which as you rightly say shouldn't be treated with antibiotics but an antiparasitic such as Ivermectin.

I sure hope the diarrhoea wasn't caused by the wrong antibiotic ........no vet would do that......would they?

I wasn't sure whether it was disease or antibiotic name she was after - so you covered one and I took the other ;) !

I did find some bunnysafe antibiotics starting with C on this page http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm but they aren't used that commonly.

I believe most vets know which are safe - even the non-rabbit savy vet I went to when my first rabbit got ill asked me to wait a minute while he checked which antibiotic was safe to use.

Caz

Back