• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My lovely Hamish has gone.

Dorothy

Alpha Buck
I had to make a devastating descision this morning. Hamish, who is the last of my own 4 bunnies, bought from a pet shop 6 years ago when I wasn't awaire of rescues, had to be put to sleep.

He has had repeated dentals for some time now, getting closer and closer together.After the last dental just over a week ago he didn't pick up his eating properly and still seemed uncomfortable. He had all appropriate meds but stopped eating again. The vet had a look in his mouth and was surprised to see that in that short time, the teeth he had burred flat were begining to spike again. After much descusion about this and other complications, we had to concede that there was no way any further dental work would help Hamish, we had done all we could to help him and it just wasn't working any more. I had to let him go. I am devastated, he was my lovely boy and used to play football in the utility room and loved his cuddles.

Binky over the bridge wee boy and find your friend Mr Henry Higgins. I am sorry I couldn't help you any more :cry: .

Aw Dorothy - I am so sorry to hear about you darling Hamish. I feel so sad for you - but please remember that you did your very best for him and gave him such a wonderful life and lots of love.

Hamish will live on in your heart and in the memories you have of him.

Big hugst oyou from me and all the bunnies.

lol Pam, Aggie, Pie ,Mash and Twinkle

I'm so sorry. :(
It's so hard when we lose a beloved.
Hamish is happy, healthy, and waiting for you over the Bridge.

:~( Jim

So sorry Dorothy to hear this sad news :cry: :cry: It is never easy :cry: :cry: my heart goes out to you at this sad sad time :(

run free little Hamish

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I'm so glad I can come on here and talk to such lovely people. I wouldn't normaly mention this, but I am realy fed up today. My mother has just taken my head off on the phone when I told her Hamish has gone. She is annoyed that that will be yet another vet bill, never mind that I have lost such a lovely boy. She can't understand why I spend all my money on my Sanctuary and go without other things.

Do any of the rest of you have this problem with family and other people making unkind remarks about you having rabbits. Honestly, I think if I bought designer clothes every day of the week that would be a lot more acceptable than resceuing abused bunnies and rehabilitating them.

Right, I feel better now I've had a rant :roll: .

Oh you poor thing, I'm so sorry for your loss, and on top of that your Mum having a rant! Def not what you need today.

People think I'm mad spending all my money on my buns, specially cos I'm a student and the vets bills have kept coming the past 6 months or so!! But I'd rather go without than my bunnies. My tutor at college yesterday said 'you really are into rabbits aren't you?!' Lol I said yes I love them!!! And then nearly started rambling about how misunderstood they are etc ....

Totally understand where you are coming from though, I get odd comments all the time but I don't see how it's different from people who have dogs or cats! Really annoys me but I try and ignore the comments.
We know we are doing the best for our bunnies, that's all that matters.

Take care, think of the wonderful times you had with your little boy :)

Nicola

I think it is hard for non animal people to understand how much love and support animals can bring into our lives.

Your life is richer for being the animal lover you are - the bunnies you have had have given you so much love and enjoyment and no mean comments can take that away.

If you are happy that is all that matters.

The only down side in having a loving animals is the pain we have in our hearts when we have to part with them.

lol Pam

I am really sorry to hear this news :cry: I am sure Hamish will be ok at rainbow bridge.

Yes I have had problems with friends and family going on about vet costs and talking low of animals. it really annoys me when people think that we as humans are the most important thing on the earth. :x A lot of people are not like us animal lovers – they don’t understand so don’t worry. Just be happy with what you believe in.

Hamish was a chinchilla bunny just like Toby, only with lop ears. I will try to get a picture of him on here.

I am so sorry Dorothy, we all know what you are going through. Think we all know what its like to have family members or ignorant work colleagues tell us we are crazy to dote on rabbits - it makes me mad at some of the things they come out with, when you are going through a true berievement. He was obviously a much loved, very spoilt little bunny, and no-one could ever argue that you did everything you could for him. We are all thinking of you. xxx

Dorothy, I truly feel for you, I had to do the exact same last week to my little girl Fern - repeated dentals, wouldn't pick up after her last one, stopped eating, spurs grew back in a week.

The kindest thing is to let them go before they're in too much pain. I held Fern in my arms while the vet did it and all I could say to her was that I was sorry but the pain would stop soon. We did the best for our little ones. Now, I'm crying again. :cry: Binky free Hamish, find Fern and eat yummy things together.

As for money - tell me about it, my mum asked me a month or so ago where I was going to draw the line with paying for Ferns treatment. I asked her if she'd put a price on my life - no, I didn't think so. Its taken me a year to save £1,500 to buy a flute and go on holiday - I gave it to Fern without a second thought.

Oh Dorothy, my heart sank when I saw the title of this post, I am so very, very sorry, I know how you must be feeling and my heart really does go out to you.

I also get the critical comments from people: what annoys me, is I neither tell people what I think they ought to spend their money on nor how to live their lives, so why do they try to do it to me??? I think it is a noble quest to help out our fellow sentient beings and, yes, I go without for the animals but I come to no harm so what's the big deal? Grrrrrr..... it is very annoying when other people think they know what is best for you. Thank God for the like-minded folks on here!!!

Thinking of you Dorothy and sending big big hugs. xxx

BevBun, I am so sorry to hear you have also had to make this descision for Fern. And, yes they are worth every penny. I always say that by the time I go over the bridge I will be trampled by a stampede of bunnies come to meet me. What a lovely thought.

I am sure Hamish and Fern will be binkying around now having a whale of a time over the bridge.

Dear Dorothy - I am so very sorry that your beloved Hamish has gone to the Bridge - take comfort in the fact that he knew without a doubt that he was loved, wanted and needed by you for all those years that you had him. I know that you would have done everything possible to have kept him with you but it was his time and you knew that.
Run free in the eternal sunshine Hamish - have fun and kiss my Hairy Mob for me xxxxx

So sorry to hear about Hamish :(

It is so good to have this forum where other people understand what your going through and why we love our bunnies so much.

Take care, thinking of you.x

aawww Dorothy, so sorry not to have been able to post earlier, I am deeply sorry to hear about Hamish :cry:
Sending you much love and many hugs, thinking of you, from all the GA Sanctuary
XXX

i am so so sorry to hear your news :(

Its must have been a very hard thing to do but it was in his best interests rabbits do tend to lose their pride when they can't do much themselves,

he is no doubt looking after you now in this difficult time

my thoughts are with you

Back