• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newspaper in the hutch!

Lynsey

Young Bun
Just thought I would ask, having read the previous posting - loads of people and books seem to recommend lining the hutch with newspaper, but the chap we are getting our new buns from was adamant we should not use this in case they nibble it. Also he uses wood shavings which a lot of the books say don't use. I'm also getting really confused about what cat litters are safe to use - anyone know if fuller's earth is ok or not?

Too much information in all these books is so confusing, thanks for any tips?

Lynsey

hi

I posted the same question a couple of months ago!!!!!!
:lol: :lol:
i think it is safe to use newspapers now i use wood shavings which i find ok just don't use the dust type which gets in their eyes but newspaper is fine

I line my hutches with newspaper, it gives extra insulation and makes cleaning out alot easier. I used to use shavings but read that this can cause respiratory problems. I now use Russell bedding plus hay on the floor of their hutches (a finely chopped soft barley straw) and a product called megazorb in their litter trays. Megazorb is a paper based bedding intended for horses and consequently is only available from horse feed type places. Search in google for megazorb and norther crop driers as bot have lists of suppliers but they are different so you need to look at both sites to get a full list. I understand that as long as the cat litter is paper based it should be fine.

One of my rabbits died from impaction through eating newspaper so I wouldn't recommend it. It depends on your rabbit, is it a shredder or a chewer?! Mine are all chewers, they never shred it, just eat it all! :? We lost Binky when he was 3 months old from it, I'll never forgive myself for allowing him access to it. :cry:
We've been fine with wood shavings mind you... none of our buns have respiratory problems... but again, it depends on your bunny.
I also use Beautipet litter for the buns in their litter trays. I don't think cat litter is good to use with bunnies, but I've never used it so don't trust me on that! :)

Thankfully mine do not touch their paper, it is always covered in bedding so maybe that is why. I did not have any problems with the shavings either but megazorb is similar in cost so currently trying that. What is Beautipet litter? I haven't heard of that one, also, is it expensive? (hope you don't mind the questions - I'm very nosey) :lol:

I used to use newspaper but I stopped using it incase they got ink poisoning from the ink, so now I use shredded paper and they love it!

Newspapers ok, as long as they dont eat it. It also helps keep mites at bay as they cant stand the ink and stay away :D

I must admit I use shredded newspaper in their litter trays and they do eat it, :roll: :roll: , but not too much as they have never had any probs, i also shred all letters n statements etc n give them that, theres less ink so its probably safer for them to nibble on :D

Beautipet is about 1.99 from PaH... it's the only place I can find litter, so despite my hate of the company, I have to buy it there. :( It doesn't last very long though as it only comes in little 1kg bags and with 7 rabbits, I'm lucky if it lasts a week. :?

I use newspaper never had any probs, it is covered with shredded paper and hay though.

I use woodshavings for the G. Pigs with no problems

Delphinium - I get Beauticat which is the same as Beautipet and you can get it in bigger bags. I get it from my local pet shop, perhaps yours can order it in for you if they dont stock it???

I used to use that Beautipet/cat stuff from sainsbury's - horribly expensive. Now use Pets at Home own compressed wooden stuff. (Yes I know, I hate the place too). Its £7.99 for 30litres, which lasts me a couple of months. I just put it in the wee corner and litter tray.

As for lining the cage/hutch - I initially used sawdust but my whole house got covered in it and I was allergic so v soon moved onto newpaper - never had any problems.

Fern used to eat the wooden cat litter and the newspaper - she only once suffered from stasis and we later found a v large hole in the carpet so assumed that was the cause.

Actually, buns have always shredded and eaten paper/cardboard - no adverse reaction. I guess its bunny dependent, and its trial and error for us all.

(Fern used to eat the sawdust too :shock:, and bricks from the fire place - her teeth still grw too much!)

LOL Henry tries to eat the fake coals from the fire!
I have a picture of him in the chimney to prove it... :lol:

Thanks for all your useful tips. The new buns are coming on Saturday so we are getting everything ready. I'm sure I'll have more questions to post soon!

Lynsey

I use Shredded newspaper with all my lot. Mainly because Ted's an Angora and it is the only suitable bedding I could find. I don’t like the idea of using Vet Bed 24/7.

You can buy ink free shredded paper for bedding. The ink issue is very controversial. I've used inked newspaper as bedding for Rabbits ever since I had my first pet Rabbit as a child and I've never had any problems.

I imagine if a Rabbit ate enough of any bedding it would cause impactation. I think you have to find a bedding your both happy with and one your Rabbit doesn’t eat!

Louise

ellepotter said:
I use Shredded newspaper with all my lot. Mainly because Ted's an Angora and it is the only suitable bedding I could find. I don’t like the idea of using Vet Bed 24/7.

You can buy ink free shredded paper for bedding. The ink issue is very controversial. I've used inked newspaper as bedding for Rabbits ever since I had my first pet Rabbit as a child and I've never had any problems.

I imagine if a Rabbit ate enough of any bedding it would cause impactation. I think you have to find a bedding your both happy with and one your Rabbit doesn’t eat!

Louise
May i ask why you dont like the idea of them on vet bed 24/7?

No real reason just that I prefer them to be in a well padded bed they can burrow in, play with etc. I believe they have more fun in a bed of shredded newspaper then they would a bed of Vet bed.

Louise

until 2 weeks ago we used Newspaper for the litter trays, we dont line the hutches as they dont make that much mess in there, and we use pet blankets.

Well anyway while at the wholesellers we came across a huge bale of what can only be called teabag off cuts from tetley teabags. (think of a huge sheet of paper that has had loads of circles cut out of it). we got this to give it a try, and to be honest its great its really absorbant and in such small pieces that its nice and soft.

Also makes for good photo moments when the bunnys jump out of the tray with bits of paper on there feet ( im sure we have all had one of these moments ourselves ;) )

We used to use sawdust/wood shavings but it was far too messy around the house, for a outdoor bunny it wouldnt be such a problem, but for indoors use we found it was far too messy.

Before anybody asks, the paper is not economical to sell as its RRP is £19 and P+P would make it close to £30. But for those that would like to get it from there local pet supplies store its called "dreams paper bed bale"

I use newspaper in Ben and Lucy's hutch as lining, as it makes it a lot easier to clean the hutch out. Both rabbits like to rip it to shreds ! I also use the Beautipet in their litter trays.

I've been using newspaper in Ben's hutch, but to be honest he thinks it is a toy rather than something to sit on :? . I don't think he is eating it, but it is hard to tell, as it is in such small pieces by the morning!

I am currently building his 'all new hutch mark 2' and this time I am using lino (huge great offcut from carpet right for a tenner) and am going to line both floors. So, easily wipe-able and not chewable if I nail it down!

In actual fact you'll probably find that your bunnies will tell you what they like and don't like. I tried several different floor coverings before we settled on the current newspaper and hay arrangement (buying the half bales they sell for horses at £4 a time makes it a lot cheaper as a floor covering). Ben won't sit on sawdust or straw, he just digs it out of the way and sits on the wooden bottom of the hutch if i give him that!

Back