• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pictures of Clarrissa and Crystal and my new baby!!!!

haffyj

Mama Doe
I thought i would add pictures of Clarrissa and Crystal also my new baby guinea pig my OH brought me his name is rex!!! he got him for me as he got Charlie for me and seeing me upset over what happenned to him me got me Rex!!! he is only 5 weeks old!!! here he is with Clarrissa!!! (My OH named him rex because he said ewhen he was reading my guinea pig book he saw the name Rex!! it wasn't till i read the book myself that is was the BREED Rex he saw!!!)

ClarrissaRex.jpg

And here is Crystal my little Angel!!!

Crystal.jpg

Also i have a strange feeling Clarrissa is with child (Charlies!!) as she has put a lot of weight on just on her bottom half and when you feel her you can feel three little lumps i haven't picked her up since the weekend just in case, but how do you tell for sure? i will be keeping all the babies, i will have my self a little reminder of charlie!!!

There lovely!
How come you bought a male guniea pig to go with your female?
males can breed from 4 weeks so ive been told.

Hi they don't live together as yet i just put them together for the photo!!!

I would have got a female but my OH was the culprit for getting this little cutie!!!

Was Charlie not neutered then?

When my bro-in-law's two "girls" from a certain chain store had babies: the true female got very fat around her rear end over her hips but stayed slim from the waist up. Towards the end of the pregnancy she got very aggressive towards her partner (who had been subsequently neutered) and started stripping his hair so he had to be seperated from her. She also refused to be picked up and when you manipulated her you could feel lumps. She actually had three young and you could feel the three seperately inside her.

I would take her along to the vets for a check up just in case, I took Madge along as we were babysitting her while my bro-in-law was on holiday and the vet said she was very young to have babies :( but all are doing well now!

I would keep your new boy seperate until he is old enough to be neutered, their cages can be side by side though.

GPs have very long pregancies and the babies are fully formed and able to run straight after birth - we saw them just after their birth (actually gave birth the day my bro-in-law came to pick them up :shock: ) and they were gorgeous with loads of hair!

Caz

i am ashamed to say Charlie wasn't neutered :oops: I didn't realise you could have it done to guinea pigs till i joined on here :oops: very niave of me i know :oops:

Rex lives next to her hutch at the mo what age can he be neutered? he is 5 weeks at the moment is it ok for him to be done now or wait a while? Clarrissa must be nearly a year i got her last october time i think she must have been at least 4-5 months old,

(Sorry i wasn't being a very good mum was i not getting charlie done?)

Well if you think she is pregnant i would take her vets the older piggies are the more risk is is to them to have babies as there pelvis fuse at a certin age and the struggle to give birth.
It may already of fused at a year old

oh of course i did!!! Charlie was a girl in the begininng!!! (According to my OH who got him) but i was going to keep the babies if they ever had any!!!

Guinea pig biology doesn't seem to be very kind to them. They can get pregnant at 4 weeks, impregnate at three weeks, and have to be younger than 7 months to safely deliver a first litter :( They can also get pregnant again immediatly after birth so don't think it would be safe to put Rex in with her as she is pregnant.

The trouble is people just don't realise :? My first pair was supposed to be a pregnant girl and her female companion. Well Oscar wasn't female :oops: so Esme got pregnant again straight away, and even worse her tiny daughter got pregnant at only a few weeks old, and died after giving birth. Esme lost the second litter and fostered her grandbabies.

You will need to keep a close eye on her for signs that she is trying to give birth. She is sadly very likely to have trouble becasue her pelvic bones could well have fused due to her age. Guineas can have ceasarians though, so don't hesitate to get her to a vet. I had one that needed one a few years ago(pregnant when I got her), and she is still gong strong although the babies didn't make it. (The anesthetic slows their hearts :( ). I have another little pregnant girlie now, that the feedstores had put in with the boys over Christmas by accident :x . I took her to make sure she will have help if she needs it.

Good luck to you and Clarissa, she has had a rough time lately :(

If I come back as an animal in my next life I sure hope I'm not a guinea pig!! :(

Hope Clarissa is ok

Betty

doorkeeper said:
Guinea pig biology doesn't seem to be very kind to them. They can get pregnant at 4 weeks, impregnate at three weeks, and have to be younger than 7 months to safely deliver a first litter

I know absolutely nothing about guinea pigs, except that they're a bit on the squeaky side. So, does the pelvis always fuse when they reach a certain age, or is it that as long as they've had a litter the pelvis will remain unfused? Is it the guinea pig equivalent of the menopause to stop older piggies having babies? It does seem a bit of a cruel joke for nature to play on a species.

There must be a lot of horror stories out there about people buying guinea pigs on bad pet shop information. I know there are bad bunny stories, but seriously. The thought of a pregnant piggy with a fused pelvis and an oblivious owner turns my stomach. :? And with animals that small it doesn't generally occur to people that it's possible to neuter them.

I hope little Clarissa is ok.

i have got an appointment for the vets on thrusday to check if she is ok :)

Thanks everybody for your kindness i do hope she is ok it is a shame i can't know her real age as the petshop were unsure.....

haffyj said:
i have got an appointment for the vets on thrusday to check if she is ok :)

Thanks everybody for your kindness i do hope she is ok it is a shame i can't know her real age as the petshop were unsure.....

Good luck with the appointment, hope everything goes ok - keep us posted.

I have read that about GPs pelvises too. If you want to breed them you have to start while they are young so they pelvis never fuses - which sounds pretty horrid to us!

I read that it is possible the baby could get stuck if the pelvis has fused and there were manipulations you could do to ease the birth but I wouldn't have felt confident doing it.

They say if the GP is older and appears to be struggling giving birth - get them to a vets asap to have a cesarean.

Good luck with the check up - they may be able to tell if the pelvis has fused or advise you on how to help!

My bro-in-law bought two little "girls" from a certain chain store and it was only after their first accident and they took them to the vet to be properly sexed that we all found out you could neuter GPs. The boy was done straight away and the girl later gave birth to three babies two boys and a girl. They now live in a bonded trio (mum dad and daughter). The boys found a good home. In her case she was very young to be having babies but coped remarkably well. Since then I have spoken to GP rescues and they always advise pairing either two girls or a neutered boy with a girl (boy-boy don't often work even when neutered).

Good luck to little Clarissa!

Caz

if you jsut sit and put your hand lightly on both sides of the tummy you should feel movements. this is what happened to me. i had 2 guinea pigs and both were girls. unfortuately they were both pregnant when we had them (we didnt know). i felt so angry with the lady we had them off and they also had skin conditions!!

good luck if she is pregnant. it is a wondeful experience, we couldnt believe our eyes when we saw 3 tiny faces peering out from underneath mommy's stomach. our other guinea pig had a girl so we kept her but had to rehome the 3 boys as they were obviously getting sexual feelings after 3 weeks!!!!! so we had to separate them from their mom at 3 weeks.

As a general rule it is inadvisable to breed from young females of any species who may have reached puberty but who are too immature in behaviour to deal with their own young patiently and competently. The same applies if they are too physically immature for the pelvis to have reached an adequate size to prevent pain and difficulty dystocia during the birth process.

The case of the guinea pig is rather different. There may be a greater risk of dystocia if the guinea pig does not have her first litter while she is still young. Once fully grown, the pelvic bones fuse, leaving her with a rigid, perhaps under-sized pelvis, and this may cause difficult births and a shorter breeding span than normal, so for this reason don't try and breed from sow's over 6 months old.

If you want any more information it's on my website in the guinea pig health section.

Back