• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

your thoughts appreciated

june

Young Bun
Hi
New neighbours moved in yesterday, they have a bunny in a hutch on it's own, the hutch is the smallest size you can get with no legs, the hutch is just on the grass in the middle of the garden which is quite an open space, I looked out again before I went to bed and the hutch with the little rabbit was still there and has been all day today, no company, no cover on the hutch. it is quite cold outside and this is so upsetting. Am I over anxious? It is awkward as I don't even know the people, what would you do bunny mums and dads??? :(
June

I would try and talk to them to be honest. Just bring it into the conversation rather than tell them off. It's no good if you start a war!!

Or if they have the internet as well, reccomend this site! If they really loved that bun then they will take notice since everyone here talks from experience and love, as well as advice from the experts!

I would try and get talking over the garden fence if you can, or invite them in for a drink, to get to know them. Start chatting about buns, mention theirs and see the reaction. A lot of ppl just don't know how to properly care for their buns, it's not cruelty, just ignorance really. They might appreciate a few hints, depends on what they are like!!

Good luck, sounds like bun needs u!

Nicola

jrn1310 said:
If you talk to them you could also download a leaflet from the RWF on rabbits need Secs and give it to them.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/rabbitsneedsecs.htm

Hey that sounds like a good idea - These situations can be extremely difficult I know but its also hard to stand by and just do nothing - but if you show how interested you are in bunnies they might just welcome some extra info and who knows - you might then by a Bunny Boarder for the summer :lol:

Good Luck - let us know what you decide and how you get on.

You could try talking to them OR try sending them a hand written letter. This way you don't have to confront them. It really is disgusting how some people treat their own pets! I suppose a lot of people thing, If its not a human child then its a pointless being, and that pets are only there to shut the kids up :? :cry:

If they only moved in yesterday it may be only temporary accomodation. If the bun was kept in something that they didn't bring with them e.g. a shed or had free run then they may just not have set anything up yet.

I'd introduce yourself and just bring up the fact you both have bunnies in the conversation. Tell them how yours are kept and they might tell you their plans for theirs or be inspired.

You could take them a bag of sugar and a carrot for an ice breaker ;)

Tam

Lots of good advice here....best to introduce yourself and get friendly...share your self with them and go from there. Please keep us posted

They brought the bunny with them, so they're already more responsible than a lot of bunny owners who just leave the hutch in the garden when they move out. They only just moved in yesterday, so they've got a million and one things they need to sort out. Especially if they have children. You don't want to go on the offensive with them as the first thing you say to them.

I'd keep an eye on the bunny to make sure it's being fed and watered and then I'd pop round, introduce myself as their new neighbour, have a chat, get to know them and then mention that I'd noticed the hutch and that I kept bunnies too. Tell them that you have a pair of foxes in the area so they should be careful about leaving their bunny out on the lawn like that. The first time my neighbour saw us out in the garden with our bunnies this was the first thing he said and we just took it as friendly advice from someone who's lived there a while.

Don't make it seem that you're only talking to them because you want to show them you're a bunny expert. They should feel that you're there as their new neighbour to introduce yourself and make them feel welcome. The bunny stuff should be as an aside. I really wouldn't go round there with leaflets in my pocket. If they're interested in talking about the bunny with you then maybe the next day you could give them the leaflets, or just pop them through the letterbox with a simple note 'Thought you might be interested in these, feel free to keep them.'

If it turns out they don't like their bunny then depending on the vibe you get from them you can recommend giving it up to a local rescue or fabricate a story about a niece's birthday coming up and how much she'd like a bunny and see if you can get it away from them yourself. You have to live next to these people, so you need to be careful not to antagonise them.

Back