• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fussy eater

bobbysocks

Young Bun
does anyone have any ideas on how i can change the ways of a 12 year old rabbits eating plan? he has mainly had a diet of a dry rabbit food and not much eles. he is not a great eater of veggies and will not go near hay, and is only surving on a pellet diet and a little dried grass. we are aware of a slight touth problem but we are relutant for him to have a dental due to his age and surving the anthestic!!
:roll:

my personal option is let him eat what he wants at the ripe old age of 12, i am not sure it matters!!!! but very well done for getting him there.

he must have had a good varied diet in the past to get him to that age!!!

eve x

If he is eating the dried grass that is good,at least you have him on some better dry food now to what he was on,just watch his pooes dont get to loose thats the only thing if there having a mainly pelleted diet.
A rabbits main diet idealy should be 90% hay,but as long as hes eating something and toileting thats the main thing
Has he ever eaten hay?

Maybe emma (toby) could help she has an older bunny sure hes about 14 if i remember she said hes very fussy too

What brand of food is he on? Some are higher fibre than others.

Have you tried him with fresh grass if he won't eat hay? No too much if he's not used to it but it will help where his teeth. Different rabbits like different hay so its worth trying a few different ones, you could also try the freeze dried grass as some like that better.

Its the same with veggies buns like some and not others, have you tried herbs? They are a little easier to eat than crunchy carrot :)

There are a few vets that will do teeth work by trancing rather than aneathetic, I tried it with a bun that had breathing problems and it worked really well.

The vet I used was Guy Carter and the practice is called Medivets, 237 St Albans Road, Watford, Herts WD2 5AS. Tel: 01923 243429. I know others have been trained so you might find someone more local.

Tam

I told liz to put him on s/s which he is eating not sure what he had before i also gave her some of the friendly dried grass

Well done, sounds like have sorted her already :D SS is great, lots of fibre!

Tam

Back