• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vac skin reaction!!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i had noticed a skin problem on the back of my 14 weeks old rabbits neck., and took him to the vets today, she said it was a reaction to the mysi vacs. because it was situated where he was given the injections..

i am relieved to say the least as i thought it may be because they were fighting. as anyone else experienced this?

eve x

When I got my rabbit Beemer vaccinated for the first time, she developed scabby lumps on her head!! It cleared up within a few days and the vet advised it was nothing to worry about. :wink:

he has a bald patch on the back of his neck and i looks raw, like human excema..... i hope it clear very soon

poor little mite has to go and get neutered on monday as well, hope he doesnt have any reactions to the anistectic, i am gonna be panicing all day now!!!! :(

A scabby lump is actually a good thing to have happen after a Myxi vacc. This means it's really affected the rabbit's immune system and they will likely have a very high immunity to the disease!

Zeus got a little lump there which went after a month or so the others never a reaction. I agree with Maaike - that is what my vet said - the bigger the immune response the better the antibody reaction in future.

Caz

Maaike_Butter said:
A scabby lump is actually a good thing to have happen after a Myxi vacc. This means it's really affected the rabbit's immune system and they will likely have a very high immunity to the disease!

Are vets supposed to inject it around the head area every time, as the vet I have changed to now only ever inject it in the scruff of their neck and they never get any sort of reaction - does that mean it hasnt worked properly?? :?

My vet injects a tiny bit into the base of the ear and then the rest deep into the scruff. Others I know do it all intot he scruff both just under the skin and then deep.
I also had a locum that injected the small amount over the rabbits back end,and the rest into the scruff never seen it done that way before or since. :roll:
So I think it just depends on which ever way the vet is happy to do it.

rngpwelfare said:
My vet injects a tiny bit into the base of the ear and then the rest deep into the scruff. Others I know do it all intot he scruff both just under the skin and then deep.
I also had a locum that injected the small amount over the rabbits back end,and the rest into the scruff never seen it done that way before or since. :roll:
So I think it just depends on which ever way the vet is happy to do it.

Thanks Tracey!!

he doesnt have a lump it a bald patch and the skin looks itritaed, the vet looked under a ifra lamp and there was no sigh of mites or ring worm, so said it was a reactions to the vacs

Ooohh... This topic was really usefull for me. Momiji has been booked for this Thursday for his jabs at the vets. Is there anything else I should know before hand? What to expect, etc?

rngpwelfare said:
Can I just ask if he has only had his Myxi jab as we have this sort of skin reaction a couple of times a year from Vhd.

hi tracey, no he had his vhd then two weeks later got the mysi and them three days later i noticed the reaction?

Aerry said:
Ooohh... This topic was really usefull for me. Momiji has been booked for this Thursday for his jabs at the vets. Is there anything else I should know before hand? What to expect, etc?

to be honest jennie i have has all mine done, well 10 and have never seem any problems with them, i was told they may go a little quite but did not find that, and this one is the only one who has had a reaction to it, even his 5 other litter mates havent got the reaction! weird!!!!

I agree with Maaike - that is what my vet said - the bigger the immune response the better the antibody reaction in future.

Magic's antibody reaction must be fabulous then, as he got two lesions on his shoulder blades after VHD vaccinations and it's only just about healing up properly now, over four weeks after the event...

LurcherGirl said:
I agree with Maaike - that is what my vet said - the bigger the immune response the better the antibody reaction in future.

Magic's antibody reaction must be fabulous then, as he got two lesions on his shoulder blades after VHD vaccinations and it's only just about healing up properly now, over four weeks after the event...

lurchergirl does magic get the reaction everytime he gets the jab?

Eve - Otis gets the same kindof reaction you're describing. I think though it was only the once and it was to the VHD. His was between the shoulder blades and went really scabby and horrible looking - I too at first thought it was a wound and it was just before his neutering too !!

It was there for quite a few weeks then one day it just dropped off and the fur grew back almost overnight like it does. If he had a reaction to his last vhd then it was too small to notice. Dont know if this has any relevance but Otis is very prone to really bad flaking skin when he's moulting - he's like a regular snowball with his dandruff at the moment, so perhaps if they have sensitive skin the vac reaction might be more noticeable ??

tahra, i will take a photo and show you to see what you think, i am a little nervous now as he has to to be neutered tommorrow, and i hoping he does not have a bad reaction to the anaetstic (sory cant spell that)

eve x

Hi Eve - did you Vet give you anything to pop onto your bunnies skin to promote healing.

Buffs had a reaction similar to this and our Vet prescribed Fuchiderm which was brilliant in getting her skin to heal quickly.

Hope this helps.

Back