• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WIRES!!!!!!!!!

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
I am due to collect my bunny on Saturday. I am extre,e;ly worried about the wires. All of our mains sockets are close to the ground (would be easy for my bunny to reach) I know people use Gaffa tape etc but I really would like something that looks a bit nicer. The main lot of wires are the ones behind the TV but there is a gap at the one side of the cabinet.

Basically everyone please tell me how you have all overcome this problem. I could be exytremely lucky and my bunny may not be interested (i'm sure I won't be that lucky tho!!!!) :? [/b]

Hey Birdiebun!

I get a thick twisty plastic wire covering from Maplin which is really cheap. You can also get something very similar called "cable tidy". The stuff I get from Maplin comes in different sizes which is much better as obviously not all your wires can be put together and they are all different sizes.

You wrap it around the wires and just try and keep them out of the way. You still need to keep an eye on them as they won't last forever - bunny nibbling can wear it down after a while!!

My best advice is to keep them all out of the way. Use videos or anything you can to block up those little nooks/access to cable areas that you can. Better safe than sorry.

Also don't forget to cover your telephone wiring!! That is usually the first to get chewed!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanks Romy :D

luckily I don't have a home telephone and think he would have extreme difficulty chewing through my mobile :lol: :lol:

right so I need to go and look fro wires covers then - hmmmm where to go???

My rabbits don't even look at the corrugated (concertina) type wire tidies you can get, and before they were drawn to chew any possible available wire like a magnet. Luckily in my house electrocution is impossible :D . I got my wire tidies from Ikea, but I've been told that the covers sold to tidy the electrical wires in cars are very similar and work the same way. Apparently the concertina effect puts them off. It works with mine anyway 8) .
Best of luck :p .

Be careful of your mobile chargeer wire too - Darcy chewed thru that in seconds!!! Had to buy a new one and have made very sure he can't get at it!! :lol: Much to his annoyance!!! :lol:

Most of our wires are safely covered but I forgot the playstation wire :roll: and yes you guessed he found it! luckily it wasn't plugged in.

Tracey

Mine are covered in JML cable tidies.. you can find these on ebay, in woolworths, robert dyas.. maybe a few others stores. They are not totally teeth-proof but he's never really tried to eat these.. if he did he wouldnt immediately hit wires.
Other people i know use pipe lagging from DIY shops.
Hope that helps

to solve the problem for us we fitted cable trunking around the room just above the skirting board. it has T pieces going to all the sockets. All th other cables are all in proper cable runs behind the TV and the computer

IN our bedrooms we have th ecables running inside the bed frame as a temp fix till we can get trunking to do a perm job.

The trunking is quite cheap from B&Q and looks the part too. also easy to install.

Most of our wires are safely covered but I forgot the playstation wire and yes you guessed he found it!

Oh dear! I was just about to start playing on GTA San Andreas one night and I noticed my analogue button wasn't lit up so I tried pressing a few buttons and nothing worked! And there was The Fonz sat in front of me with one of those inconspicuous and cheeky looks on her face... yes, she'd chewed through cable! :roll:

Just a note of warning on pipe lagging for wires. I know someone whose bun ate the lagging and ended up with a blockage that needed a very expensive operation and big vets bills to fix. Very luckily she made it but...
As for all of you others who learned the hard way like me :lol: . I was a totally inexperienced person who took on four very young rabbit siblings because they were unwanted and half wild and I felt sorry for them.
As I said in my other post it's impossible to be electrocuted in this house which is just as well. Their wire count in my first month of learning just how well four small and determined rabbits working as a team (there was always at least one rabbit on distraction duty :twisted: ) can get to places I thought were safe - one phone charger, two sets of headphones, two playstation leads, a television cable, the computer monitor cable, two normal telephone wires and a light :roll: .
As far as I'm concerned those crinkly cable tidies would still be good value at three times the price 8) .

KateRowan said:
My rabbits don't even look at the corrugated (concertina) type wire tidies you can get, and before they were drawn to chew any possible available wire like a magnet. Luckily in my house electrocution is impossible :D . I got my wire tidies from Ikea, but I've been told that the covers sold to tidy the electrical wires in cars are very similar and work the same way. Apparently the concertina effect puts them off. It works with mine anyway 8) .
Best of luck :p .

where do you get these from I don't know what you mean? sound good though!

thanks for all of your suggestions, will watch the charger's yes that would be a 2 second job for my bunny wouldn't it! :shock:

I haven't tried it but I was told I could get them from any car supply store (like Halfords or anywhere else that sells car bits) or garage. I can't put up a photo unfortunately as that would be the easiest way to show what they look like. It's like the surface goes up and down in a ribbed way, rather like the paper fans that children make but not so angular.
As I said I got mine from Ikea because I saw them there so I didn't bother looking anywhere else. I don't know if Ikea's website has a picture of their cable tidies just so you know what you'd be looking for?
Good luck :D .

I mostly use hose pipe for anywhere thats hidden, and chicken wire to 'box' things in. Works a treat, and as long as you get rid of any sharp bits its safe for them.

Good luck, I'm on about my 7th phone, bought a cordless one now. :)

You can either put them under the carpet or attach the wire to the very bottom of the wall (between the floor and wall) this way bunny can't get to it :) I have never been overly bothered when Toby chewed through a wire UNTIL I was playing my Play station 2 one day and it went fuzzy all of a sudden! Was not amused! I just got past the bit I couldn't do as well :lol:

Toby chewed through a wire UNTIL I was playing my Play station 2 one day and it went fuzzy all of a sudden! Was not amused! I just got past the bit I couldn't do as well :lol:

lol!! Don't you just love them!!! :roll:

Those mobile phone chargers are expensive!!! Kymber chewed through mine in record time and I had to pay £15 for a new one! And that was WITH DISCOUNT!!!

Back