• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor kennel and bunnies

Spyinak

Young Bun
I have a 8x8 chainlink dog kennel that I want to use to pen my two female rabbits this summer.
I realize the chanlink will be too wide so will have to put up a smaller wire to keep them in - was going to put it about 4 feet up the sides on the bottom and will cover the top to keep the eagles out. I was wondering if this is a healthy way to keep the rabbits?
I love the idea that they will have some room to hop around and play.
I plan to provide them with a dog house and some bedding so they can get out of the rain etc. I have some large drainage pipe that they can hide in too. I am excited about this idea. I think the rabbits will love it. I haven't figured out how to clean up poop though if there is wire on the base.
What do you guys think - bad idea or good idea??

:? have you got a picture of the type of thing you plan to set up? Is there a reason for having wire on the bottom? What sort of surface do you plan to have this on, grass/earth/concrete/slabs? (sorry for all the questions but it will give us a better idea)

It sounds like a great idea to me :D You might like to bury the mesh on the floor under an inch of so of soil so they don't catch their toes in it.

Rabbit usually pick one spot to use as the loo and you can add a littertray there or paving slabs so its easier to clean.

There will be lots of scope for toys, bunnies love them and will help make them use the whole area. Boxes to jump on, solid plastic balls, etc.

Tam

Sorry, no pics as the kennel is stacked in the snow right now and no hope of digging it out until spring sets in.
I plan to put wire on the ground as the rabbits would likely dig their way out in short order if I did not.
The kennel will be set up on grass and dirt. I hestitate to bury the wire as I would like to be able to move the kennel to a new area for new grazing.
I hadn't thought about them getting caught up in the wire - good point.
The idea of patio blocks is also great. Maybe they will use a litter box of sawdust????? Thanks for the ideas!!

welcome12.gif

And I thought I was bad with my snow!!!

Hope you have a good time here Spyinak

Back