• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stomach problems???

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
This morning Skip wouldn't eat his breakfast and when i let him out of his cage he just sat there with his eyes half-closed....his poos were pellet shaped but soft instead of firm as they normally are. :(

After spending an awful day @ work worrying about him, i have come home to find he has eaten his breakfast and seems to be a bit more frisky. He still is a bit quieter than normal. :(

He has been like this maybe 3 or 4 times since i had him which is 3 years. Can bunnies just have off days where they had a upset stomach or is it signs of something more serious?? :?

My answer would be a definate "YES"

Our Brindle just put us through the same thing and by the next day she was back to her binkie-self.

As long as they're poopin/peein/eatin/drinkin I try not to get too concerned. They are our babies though, and it's hard not to worry.

Some oats (old fashion oatmeal) might help with the soft poops. About a teaspoon once a day.

Any changes in routine or diet?

:~) Jim

No changes but i think he does it to keep me on my toes......god do you worry though and i hate having to go to work and leave him.

He always seems to be ill on a day when i'm @ work :(

He seems better now as he is eating and drinking.

They do have quiet days. I've had scares when Chips has ignored veggies while all the others are chomping away. He's just sat in the cage off in a little world of his own, but then the next day he's fine again.

Hi Linnyloo, my other 2 did this ALL THE TIME - and it was always when it was supposed to be a time to celebrate (eg Christmas, New Year, Birthdays!!) and the next day they were fine (or even that night). I always used to take them to the vet the same day, and they would charge me £15.00 to tell me there was nothing wrong! Now I leave it, as usually when I get home from work they are fine again!! Poppy did this to me a couple of mths ago, so I brought her into the house to give her a cuddle, and as soon as she'd had a hop around the living room for half an hour, she hopped back outside in the shed and dived into her breakfast as though she was the most starving bunny that ever existed!! :lol: :lol:

Ahh Linyloo, rabbits are terrors for worrying us aren't they!! I think they just have moods and off days like we do!! Darcy does go very quiet when I have put him back in his dog pen in the morning before I leave for work...I get those guilt-panging "but mummy I love you" stares which just kill me!! but then when I carry on getting my coat on and my handbag I look back over and hes tucking into his food!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :D

glad Skip is looking perkier, he looks such a character on the pics (signature pics)

p.s what is binkying? I am thinking it is the guinea pig equivalent of popcorning - am I right?

A binky is when your bunny boings about like a mad thing doing twists in the air, flicking his head about and doing a pretty good impression of a fit. My sister-in-law thought my bunnies were having epileptic fits the first time she saw it. She was bunny sitting at the time so had a bit of a panic.

Bertie said:
A binky is when your bunny boings about like a mad thing doing twists in the air, flicking his head about and doing a pretty good impression of a fit. My sister-in-law thought my bunnies were having epileptic fits the first time she saw it. She was bunny sitting at the time so had a bit of a panic.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hiya Linnyloo - Hows little Skip doing today :?: - awwww they can be such a worry carn't they but at least your a very observant Bunny Mum - I think thats the key to most things with bunnies really - if you can spot the problem quick you stand a much better chance getting appropriate Vet help if necessary.

Sending a snuggle - keep us posted.

Yipeeeeee....he's back to normal today and eating so fast that you would have thought i starved him!!!

Thanks for all the advice :lol: :lol:

I think he did to make me feel guilty as i was having to go to work on my normal day off :!:

Back