• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need some help

BubbleBee

Warren Scout
Alright, so in a week were taking a 400mile trip to look for new houses. And i have to take my BubbleBee (aka Bubbles) and I was going to buy her one of these to travle in.

bunniecarrier.jpg

So shes going to be in it for about 7 hours. So I need some help on a couple things. How will she be able to go to the bathroom? And I'll try to hold her while were driving, but Im not sure what Im going to be able to do, I have to settle 3 dogs down while my parents drive. Any help will be appreciated :)

-Melissa

That doesn't look big enough, or sturdy enough. You would be best getting a proper carrier, top opening is best, then you can line the bottom with newspaper with hay on top so she can eat and do her business without you getting a wet lap. You can also hang a water bottle on a proper carrier, as she will certainly need to drink on a journey that long.

Is she used to the dogs? If not you are going to have a very stressed and unhappy rabbit, that might even do herself some harm. The long drive would be stressful even without the dogs.

How big is the car? Perhaps one of those dog cages would be a good idea, and then you could put the litter tray in it and a fluffy vet bed in it for her to lay on? (mind you they are rather expensive to just use for 1 day).

My rabbits travel a lot and i tend to use those cat carriers a lot the hard plastic ones, u can attatch a bottle to them and a feed dish although they do not usualy eat on a journey. Put wood chips on top of newspaper and lots of hay. They are best placed with the door to the side of the car so they cannot see what is going on, your rabbit should be fine. val

I used a large ferplast cage for Zeus when he came back from the breeder's in Kent. It took up all my boot though! I lined it with newspaper and sawdust (hay would have been a good idea but we didn't have any at the time so the breeder gave us some of hers) and hung a water bottle on the cage. It held him secure and gave him room to stretch out.

For 1-2 hour journeys I have used cat carriers (completely enclosed plastic that comes in two halves), lined with newspaper, hay and a bit of my usual litter. I have found sometimes the water bottle leaks with movement in the car and when poor Violet went up to Nottingham for her date all 250ml emptied into her carrier by the time we stopped at the service station half way there to check on her.

You should have seen the looks I got as I dried her off on my jumper then went roung begging for free newspaper from the kiosks to reline her carrier! :oops:

The type of carrier I use has seatbelt holes to thread the belt through this keeps it very secure.

Caz

Yup mine goes in a cat carrier.. got mine from argos for about £7.99 i think... I put his towel in there so it smells of him and give him food, put bottle on when we stop for a break but he never eats/drinks/wees/poos when he's in there. Ive also used his old ferplast cage before to transport him but he just huddles in the corner and when u go round corners or stop suddenly he flies across the cage so i stopped using it. Guess it depends how big your bunny is. Obviously Zeus would be happier in a bigger cage cos of his size wherears simba is tiny so moves around too easily. Im sure he will be fine tho.. simba is ok after a 4 or sometimes longer journey that i have taken him on many times.

*Just noticed you are in USA so dont have an argos shop. Im sure your big pet stores would have cat carriers tho. Good luck

Thanks for the help, I have alot of good idea's! Im going to see if we cant stop halfway so it wouln't be so stressful for her.

If you're taking a bun on a long journey, I would always advise several short comfort breaks for the bun. They use this time to eat, pee, drink and groom.

It's also an excuse for you to get out and stretch your legs and a comfort break for the dogs :wink:

Personally, I would be wary of a meterial carrier for long journeys. Surely, if the bun decided to chew the carrier, it could be through it in 7 hours - plus, if the bun wees, it will be sodden.
I have the Savic Pet Caddy carriers, two small and one large, which are completely enclosed and the buns seem quite happy in them.
This is the larger one
32680024.jpg

and this is the smaller one
11521g.jpg

Back