• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newbie.breathing problems!

Hollywood

New Kit
Hello,
i was wondering if anyone could advise me. i have a lovely french lop called Dillon who for about 3 weeks has had breathing problems and runny eyes. shes had courses of antibiotics and her tear ducts have been cleared. although her breathing has improved slightly shes still wheezy and im quite sure its made worse by the dust in the hay and straw. ive asked the vets about other bedding but they say rabbits often eat things like shredded paper which could possibly result in her having to be put to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas what i could bed her on that is safe and warm?
thanx. :lol:

Awwww 3 week old French Lop eh!! - sounds an absolute cutey - perhaps when he is feeling a little better you could post us bunny mad folks some pickies of the lovely Dillon.

Regarding bedding - every bunster is an individual - I know lots of good folks on here pop their bunnies on shredded paper without any probs - also a product called Magazorb is really good as its dust extracted - all mine are on this now and (touch wood :roll: ) - I've had no probs with them eating it - they much prefer their scrummy hay feed :wink:

Where do you get your Hay from at moment :?: - sometimes you can get a bad batch which is particularly dusty some of the general Pet Store Hay can be quite poor so its good to shop around.

Also regarding Dillons breathing probs - if its severe you can pop a decongestant in his immediate area - CALLING BUNNY FOLKS - I'm sure someone will pop up in a while to tell you the best one to use and if it might give him a bit of relief whilst the Antibiotics continue to do their work.

Hope this helps - sending a snuggle to the lovely Dillon - hope he feels better soon.

I had a bun with these problems.....she did still have hay and straw but I always made sure it was not dusty and used the russell Rabbit bales.

If she is kept inside central heating can often irratate these problems if the house is too warm.....

Sounds like near full-blown snuffles to me :shock: & as you've only had the rabbit 3 wks it could easily have been brought to the surface by the environmental change/stress (stress in a clinical sense)that rabbits are prone to.

We were chatting about this on another forum the other day & the reality is that rabbits rarely get trivial 'colds'& 'allergies' in the same way as people which makes it harder for people to understand.

You will need to seek the help of a vet if one day she seems very poorly & can't get enough oxygen into her lungs :(

How long was the antibiotic course? If her symptoms were improved by it but she still has a few left then I would think a longer course is needed.

Tam

Hi

I would def advise Vetbed as it keeps buns warm and if they wee on it the fluid sinks to the bottom so they don't have to sit on it. She will still need hay to munch on, good quality Timothy hay or something like that is very good.

When Pippa had a snuffly throat, I put a flannel on the outside of her hutch and a few drops of Olbas Oil onto it. That combined with Bisolvon which is a decongestant powder available from the vets, and a course of Baytril did the trick. Does sound like your bun could do with a longer course of Baytril.

Have you mentioned the possibility of teeth problems to your vet which could be causing the runny eye if it doesn't clear up? Does sound like snuffles though which can be ongoing throughout life needing Baytril to clear it up.

Nicola

Hello,
thanx for the quick replys.
im sorry but im not very good at my english and shes not 3 weeks old shes about 1 now and shes just had the breathing problems for about 3 weeks.
i keep her in a stable in a hutch but looking at other posts i think the she may be better off in a shed so i can ventilate it more.thanx for the good suggestions im going to look around the pet shops. i actually get bales from a local college that they use for their horses as ive found most of the pet shop stuff is rather dusty. i took her back to the vets today and got some more antibiotics but was slightly worried that this would upset her tummy. if it would just get warmer i could reduce the amount of hay and straw.
thanx for your help.

How about getting her a cosy cat bed? Or a snugglesafe - which is a microwavable hot water bottle specially for animals - if you are worried about bun getting cold?

I'd def recommend getting some probiotics so that she doesn't get an upset tum from the antibiotics. If you want some good websites just say :)

Nicola

It does sound like pasturella to me, the fresh air will be better and the antibiotics idealy needs to be given in high dosage for at least a month. val

Back