• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what age do you stop ab libing dried food?

I think it is about 5-6 months old, basically they need the protein etc when they are growing and food intake shouldn't be restricted. But obv hay is very important to avoid getting a messy bottom!!

Nicola

thanks nicolar, i know about the hay just wondering about the dried food, because it doesnt say about ab libbing on the packets at all.

thanks matie

That's cool Eve :) Knew you knew bout the hay but thought I'd mention it in case there are any newbies out there with baby bunnies :D I think they should put on the packets about ad libbing, r u feeding them baby/junior food? As I'm sure most people wouldn't know what age to start introducing fixed rations!!

nicolar said:
That's cool Eve :) Knew you knew bout the hay but thought I'd mention it in case there are any newbies out there with baby bunnies :D I think they should put on the packets about ad libbing, r u feeding them baby/junior food? As I'm sure most people wouldn't know what age to start introducing fixed rations!!

nope nicolar they started on excel standard because thats what mum was on, then i changed the whole pack to SS, they are fine on it, (i do think the excel was a little rich for them though (too much first poos) but the ss had sorted most of that out!!!

thanks eve x

Giant bunnies mature slower than little bunnies so I would say a younger age for average size rabbits. You don't want them to get into the habbit of eating pellets rather than hay as this can lead to all sorts of problems.

I don't think there is a set age instead you need to look at how much hay the rabbit is eating etc. if they are ignoring hay in preference to pellets then I would cut down on the pellets being given.

Ad lib is a little broad, I would split the feed into two and make sure they previous feed is finished a couple of hours before the next is due. That way they have plenty to eat but don't have a perminant bowl full.

Tam

thanks tamsin

they eat plenty of hay and actually prefer it to pellets, and they love the veg, just started them on that, nice and slowly.

i give a bowl in the morning and a bowl late at night (the bowl is between 3 buns) and endless amounts of hay and by the morning theres nothing left, there like vaccum cleaners :lol: :lol:

Eve x

About 6 months, which is about now for Magic. However, he never eats more than a small handful anyway, however many pellets I give him... I will finish the Oxbow bag of baby rabbit food I have, and will then ween him onto adult Science Selective. Vera

Back