• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hock Advice

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Yo Folks

I noticed Zac had a very small sore appear on one of his Hocks this morning. It doesn't appear to be worrying him at all and so far I've done the following but wondered if anyone had any additional thoughts that might help.

I've trimmed his nails - although they weren't over long - just in case one of them was causing him to be off balance.

As a House Bun he is on carpet but its soft and not abrasive - although I guess this might be contributing to the problem - if it proves so I'll have to rethink the bedroom carpet in his main den area? - both Buffs and Cagney are on a concrete floor downstairs with matting so I guess there is less chance of their nails sinking in and putting more pressure on the immediate back hock area? - both the girlies have never had any hock probs (touch wood)

I had some Fuciderm here which is a Veterinary Antiseptic cream which I've popped on the area but I've also read Germolene is good - any thoughts folks :?:

Its only a really small sore - less that the size of a small pimple (sorry folks for those eating breakfast :lol: ) - but I wanted to hit this soon so doesn't escalate into a bigger problem for him.

aaawww Lany, so we are talking HOCKS this morning are we...now let me think :roll: ..Mr Byron the Rex has sore hocks as an ongoing problem, and I just pop some Zinc cream/ ointment on them.
You have to be careful what you use to treat the hock incase the bunny tries to groom it off, I am not sure that I would use Germolene.
Aloe Vera Gel is good, as this is based on natural products so if bunny does injest some, it should not cause problems.
I find some of teh house bunnies get sore hooks on the flat pile carpet, and really it is just a pressure sore developing. As long as you treat them with Fuciderm/Aloe Vera/ zinc cream/ baby ointment before the skin breaks then you avoid the risk of infection getting in.
Dotting lots of pieces of deep pile Vet bed around may help, but bunnies being bunnies, they tend to prefer to sit on the hard floor instead :roll:
You could always buy Zac some baby booties to act as a cushion and protect his feet :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Make sure you choose Blue ones though as he may feel too girly and sulk :? :shock: :lol: :lol:
It sounds like you are already doing everything you can be Lany :D

Love to you and all the bunnies

Adele said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Make sure you choose Blue ones though as he may feel too girly and sulk :? :shock: :lol: :lol:
It sounds like you are already doing everything you can be Lany :D

Love to you and all the bunnies

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey your on the ball girl for a Sunday Morning :wink: Nope :!: He's definately all Boy so if the booties come on - Blue it is :wink:

Thanks for the tips Gal - I'll pop out in a bit and get some of the creams you recommend - no getting the cream on :roll: - that could be real fun :lol: :lol: - me feels a trancing session come on :lol: :lol:

Adele wrote

Aloe Vera Gel is good

In reading this and other posts about little sores or nicks etc...I always meant to say that I have an Aloe Vera plant which I use. As it is nothing but natural, I wondered if this would help with bunnies

Hiya Marlene :D Yes I have used a bit of fresh Aloe plant on wounds in the past, but i guess not many folk have them handy growing in the garden.
We kept our Aloe plant in the conservatory, but it died on us after about a year!. Plants have a habit of taking one look at me and shriveling up. :shock: ...David is the one with green fingers :roll: :lol:

Same here Adele...I think it is the heat in my kitchen...I am usually in shorts & T shirt even with the snow piling up today!!! I got mine from our local garden centre and it grew enormous. My Mum who has green fingers as well split it and kept half for herself as she is always nicking and bashing herself. Only thing is ...every time I take I bit ..I feel ...what a shame...poor thing...tattie aren't I??? :lol:

This is not hock advice, but aloe advice:

Mine kept shrivelling up on me, until my frined told me that they only need to be watered about once every six weeks! I was drowning them. Don't know if any of you have been doing the same?

As to hocks, well, I'm ignorant....

[quote="lauren K."

Mine kept shrivelling up on me, until my frined told me that they only need to be watered about once every six weeks! I was drowning them. Don't know if any of you have been doing the same?(Lauren)

aaahh!! so perhaps that explains what I was doing wrong, I drowned the Aloe plant :shock: :cry:

As to hocks, well, I'm ignorant....[/quote]

Maybe Lauren, but you certainly know a thing or two about plants, thanks for the tip, I will buy another one later this year and only sprinkle it with water periodically :wink: :D

Lany see what you hock thread has started now...the RU gardening club :p :lol: :lol:

bunnytales said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey your on the ball girl for a Sunday Morning :wink: Nope :!: He's definately all Boy so if the booties come on - Blue it is :wink:

Bertie!!!! Get knitting.... an order for blue bootees here!!!! :lol: :lol:

Hi there Lany,
Ben had a sore foot after new year so I took him to the vet. He said that the best thing for it was Fuciderm as it is antibiotic aswell as antiseptic - so I would say you probably did the right thing first off. He also said I could use it on his hocks if they ever got sore.
Hope that helps :)

Thanks Folks for all your help - I've popped some more cream on tonight and will keep this up for the next few days and keep an eye on things.

Also been and got some Tea Tree Cream which has Aloe Vera in it so Adele hope this is the right stuff, got from the Pet Store and it said it was for small animals Rabbs etc.

I think you just panic abit - I've been reading extracts from the Francis Harcourt-Brown book and I think sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous as it mentioned things like Ulcerations developing from Hock sores and then them retracting back into the Hock bone etc - oh errrrrrrr - see what I'm like - I've already imagined the worst - and this sore is so tiny you just wouldn't believe - but I'll defo be on "Hock Watch" over the next few days - what am I like eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wine_glass.gif

wine_glass.gif

MandyM said:
How is Zac's wickle sore hock Lany?

Why do I now feel I should have a glass of Hock in my hand while replying to this now :lol: :wink:

Thanks for asking Matey - He's doing fine - but on closer inspection he does a tiny weeny red patch on the other Hock also - I think he may have had these since I rescued him in October but I've only need to clip his nails once during this time and rumaging around his hind hock areas were'nt on the agenda then - keeping him still for nail clipping defo was :lol: :lol:

So I'm applying alittle of the Fuchiderm cream once a day and he seems fine - the areas are so small and they don't seem angry so I think its just a case of preventative maintenance - :lol: :lol: MAKES HIM SOUND LIKE A TOASTER EH :lol: :lol:

Hope you and your lovely furry gang are o.k - sending snuggles.

Sore hocks is caused by lack of enough hair covering the foot, there is not much can be done but to make sure that your rabbithas a very soft bedding under foot .What must be avoided is a wound opening on the bald patch as its very hard to get it to heel and that is what causes an abccess to form. val

Yep Val - I've noticed that his hair is particular fine on his hocks compared to the girlies who seem to have very hairy feet :roll: - well just what can I say :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and Zac and girlie snuggles.

Back