• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouse in kitchen!

lauren K.

Young Bun
Okay, I'm not as much of an animal lover as some of you. I HATE mice, and my boyfriend just spotted one in the kitchen. (I'm a bit embarrassed to admit...)

Now I'm afraid that it will get upstairs and into the rabbits room. It's their room, so I pretty much let them keep it as they like, which means hay in little piles all over the floor.

Will the hay attract the mouse up there? Can the mouse give the bunnies diseases? Will it hurt them?

Has anyone ever had this problem before? Probably wont want to admit it...

Ewwwww, gross. I hate mice.

Sorry to all the mouse owners...

:wink:

Well, first of all. You should probaby call an extermanator. The mouse may get upstairs to the bunnies, but there's no telling, mice usually stay in kitchens, bacements or garages. But the mice may have lice or flea's that can attack your bunnies, just check them, and keep the carpet cleaner so the mouse wouln't be tempted. And the mouse couldn't phisicly hurt your bunnies, Im more afraid for the mouse! Hope this helps!:thumb:

*~Melissa~*

I don't know about diseases, but the smell of all that bunny food probably will attract the mouse. They enjoy an easy meal.

I can understand the difference between loving animals, and still not wanting the wild ones in your house. I don't like fox hunting, but if a fox came near my bunnies I'd throttle it. I used to have pet mice. They make lovely pets, but I wouldn't want them running freely about my house.

You could get some humane traps bait them with rabbit food and put them around the kitchen. When you catch the mouse you have to drive it far from the house before releasing it otherwise it will just come straight back.

Keep an eye out for mouse droppings in the rabbit room to make sure they haven't found it yet.

Caz

Get a humane trap from your petshop, put some peanut butter in it and leave it over night set... we live behind fields and had one in the other week, I felt so sorry for it, seeing it in the trap, it looked so terrified. :( But we set it free in our local nature park and we haven't had it back in... make sure you set it free far from your house or it might come back.
I just hope the little thing made it, I felt so guilty when we set it free... :(

Yes the humane mouse trap is a good idea :wink:
Mice carry all sorts of diseases in their urine and droppings, it is important to keep them away from your rabbits food and water.
Bunnies can get tummy bugs from bacteria mice carry, and occasionally other nasties like E C which is a parasite.

Peanut butter is a good bait for a humane mouse trap, as it is tiny handful of oats :wink:
Please do not panic yourself, but you do need to take action, as we had poorly housebunnies following an invasion of mice four years ago :roll:
at least the bunnies are upstairs, but mice can scale stairs no problem :?
When you catch the mouse, it needs to be released about two miles away at least, else it may find its way back again, and be an even bigger problem :shock: ..fattened up on all the peanut butter you have fed him/her :roll: :lol: :lol:

Blimey what a start to a Sunday morning eh! - we had a mouse in the Kitchen of our old house - just a little field mouse but I swear it was the fastest thing on four legs -

It took us a while to know it was there as it had got in and made itself a Dez Rez at the back of the Kitchen units and it wasn't until we noticed a tiny weeney hole starting to appear in the timber door connecting to the Garage we suspected we had a visitor!

We pulled all the skirting off the units and the chase began and boy was it quick - in the end it raced out the kitchen to feedom - little critter!!! - but I did disinfect the whole kitchen floor and skirting areas after - one small invasion and loads of hard work cleaning after :roll: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oy vey!

Now I have to clean my whole house! :x

The mouse was upstairs in my bedroom last night in the middle of the night. It woke me up and I jumped up so quick that I kicked something and broke my toe! I have to tape it to the other one myself as I can't afford the doctor (stupid American health care!).

I hope its just one mouse. I don't think we have an infestation, as we've only seen one mouse, and there's no droppings around or anything.

argh.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry--this post probably belongs in general chat....

A great way to catch mice is to get a paper towel tube. Put a blob of peanut butter at one end and balance it over an edge somewhere so that when it falls it lands in something deep enough that the mouse can't jump out - two feet deep at least. We had quite a few mice in the house a couple of years ago and I caught seven of them like this and released them all well away from the house. I found the hole they came in by and blocked that up and we haven't had any since. They did alot of damage while they were here though :(

You need to get rid quick before it either starts nibbling your wires and/or multiplies. I've had to use mouse traps in the garden and I'm sorry they were not the humane kind as I found them to be of no use whatsoever :oops: I know I sound like a raging hypocrit being a vegetarian animal lover but needs must, they were awfully close to the house. I started naming them Tom, Jerry, Minnie, Mickey then decided to use the alphabet system like they do for hurricanes..... I got as far as Rose :shock:

Lovely as pet mice are a mouse in the wrong place is not nice. Sadly they need to be got rid of.

I use to have a pet rat [Robin] he was wonderful and often slept in my bedroom until the day he discover chewing wires. It was summer the heating was turned off. It was only in the winter when I tried to turn the heating on, it took two weeks to repair, bless im. Robin lived for a few more years after that, watched more carefully!!! :lol:

Betty

Back