• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making Nests.....

Blossom_Flora

Young Bun
Another question ppl!!! occasionally one of my rabbits will start making a nest and pulling out her fur and laying down hay but the other one never does this. they are both supposed to be girls but could this mean that the rabbit who never makes a nest is actually a little boy becuase i hear that females just do this anyway - whether they are expecting a litter or not?

some do it to say they want a litter or have phanotom pregnaces, the one that makes the nest could be the dominate one out of the two, i have two living together and the one makes a nest but the other doesnt caue its the other is most domiate althought the less dominate had got a litter lol
becky

Hiya, now that is a very interesting question :D .
I am not sure whether the fact a rabbit does not make nests automatically means it is a boy rabbit.
Here in the Sanctuary we have pairs of bonded Does and we find that one often builds a nest for the other, and many of our Does never build nests :roll: .
I guess in a pair of Does one does the hunting and gathering and the other sits on the nest....well that is the sense I make of it :roll:
Rexy Bexys explanation is a sound one :D
Are you going to ask a Vet to check / confirm the sex of the other rabbit?

nests

we might ask the vet but the rabbit who makes the nest seems to be the one protecting and defending the other one, but the other one could be the dominant one as she often chases the nest maker around the run!!!

My young bunny makes nests (she is 1 and a half) but my older does who is 5 and a half doesn't and I don't think she ever has (apart from maybe once!)

Back