• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Litter waste recycling

Do you recycle your litter waste?

• Yes - always

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - sometimes

• No - it goes in the bin

• Total voters

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Hi, just interested, but does anyone else recycle their litter waste?

I tried to get the council to pick mine up (like blood from a stone!!!) Now I take it down to the stables I ride at every other week and add it to the pile. I felt SO bad just throwing it away...

My council won't take animal litter, for recyling....and not even veg scraps can go in the recycle bin anymore...only really garden waste.

I put some of the rabbit litter in my own compost bin and rest goes out with the rubbish.

Ours are quite good - they do take the bunny waste but how come they ALWAYS manage to tip the bin up and the megazorb ends up all over the drive - just what are they like eh :roll:

We're not even allowed to put it in the green recycle bin. I wish they'd realise rabbit litter is different to dog/cat poop!

We are fortunate enough to have two wheelie bins and we can put pet waste into the green one along with garden waste, veg peelings, cardboard etc.

Out with the normal rubbish, I am afraid. Would love to be able to recycle, but just not an option around here. Vera

Our recycle bins are for cardboard, paper and plastic only - we would get told off if we put glass or veg matter in there. We have a green waste tip down the road (only open random hours) but I have the feeling they wouldn't take it from what everyone else has said.

I put mine in the main wheelie bin with a bag of household rubbish on top - they haven't mentioned it but there again they have taken the bins full of concrete lumps/rubble and emptied them before - they pretty much take anything as long as it fits is in the bin in my area.

Caz

We put all of ours on our allotment, it makes a great fertiliser for all their food!

If anyone else has any allotments near them, try offering your bunny litter to allotment holders, possibly asking for some of their weeds in return, that way you get rid of litter and get green food at the same time

Claire

I put all of mine onto a compost heap in the garden, it rots down into some beautiful rich fertiliser/soil. Our council is pretty good about getting us to recycle as much as possible, and it would take it as green waste but rabbit 'manure' is supposed to be one of the best things possible for gardens so I keep it :D .

Back