• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peters lump is back

baby04

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

When I gave Peter his anti-biotics this morning I noticed that he has a lump just under his stitches so he is at the vets this afternoon.
The lump has come back literally overnight I just hope it's not another abscess although I think it is :cry:

Tracey

I hope Peter will be okay! Fonzie and I will keep our fingers (and paws!) crossed for him! Good luck!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Hi Tracey
This is sad that the lump is back :( I do hope that Peter is going to be alright - poor wee man.
One thing that I would ask the vet to do and that is to leave the wound open - this way you are not sealing in the abscess and it can be cleaned twice daily. This is what we usually do with abscesses.
I know it looks awful having the wound open but to seal an abscess in can actually make matters worse.
To have it left open you can clean it with a well diluted mixture of water and Hibiscrub (from vet) - if the wound is showing lots of puss then you clean with a cotton bud or even a 1ml syringe - this you can do by placing the syringe into the wound and then sucking up the puss.
Also make sure that Peter is given painkiller as the lump and the wound will be sore.
I'm sending loads of vibes to Peter - please let us know how he gets on.

An absess should have a wick left in it as that allows the fluid to continue to drain out, and then you change the dressing daily to keep the site of infection clean.

Sending Healing vibes to the lovely Peter - must be a worry for you at the moment but some great advice here regarding treatment - think I'll print this one off just in case.

Hi,

Just got back it is another abscess :cry:

I'm taking Peter back in on monday for another op. I spoke to the vet about leaving it open and she agreed that it would be best.
So we will try again and hopefully this time it will go completely.

Thanks for your messages
Tracey

Ohh poor Peter and poor you - I have my fingers crossed that this time you will have it licked - if you pardon the pun ;) !

Caz

Was the abbcess operated on in the first place ,? did the vet say it came out whole if not then it may have spread if this is the case then be prepared for it not to get better, i agree that leaving the wound open is your best bet , but if its spread there is not much can be done. I hope that it has not . val ps When i have had a wound open i found the best thing to put in was a week peroxide thei disolves the puss better and forces it out.hyibi scrup is good for bacterier but not shifting pus. val

Sorry to hear about Peter Tracey :( all fingers and toes crossed that Peter's second op will clear it up for good :wink: :) lets us know how things go please :) sending healing vibes for Monday to you both :)

Back